insert_name

Arianespace launch thread

should general ESA stuff get a seperate thread or be on this thread?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. should general ESA stuff get a seperate thread or be on this thread?

    • stay on this thread
      12
    • new thread
      21


Recommended Posts

18 days later...

 

I wish the CNES could provide some of these plans and images during live broadcasts, it would add a little more to their overly-standardized videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Live in a couple hours:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liftoff, they have good ground footage this time so the broadcast is worth watching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else wondering what all those little flecks were that came out just before booster sep? Looked like the right side booster flashed a bit as it happened too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

Anyone else wondering what all those little flecks were that came out just before booster sep? Looked like the right side booster flashed a bit as it happened too.

You get bigger chunks of solid propellant coming out when they're running out of fuel and the internal pressure drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reactordrone said:

You get bigger chunks of solid propellant coming out when they're running out of fuel and the internal pressure drops.

Huh, never seen that happen on other launches before, but makes sense. I almost thought they blew a nozzle out like ATK did a few weeks back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 year project spending 3 million $.

Half a fairing’s worth of work to make some PowerPoint rockets that will look pointless 3 years from now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tater said:

3 year project spending 3 million $.

Half a fairing’s worth of work to make some PowerPoint rockets that will look pointless 3 years from now.

Yeah, but the 2nd stage engine fairing doubles as the grid fin! 

Anyways I’m not convinced that Starship will wipe out the demand for midsize launchers- especially if the commercial satellite paradigm is shifting from big GEO sats to hordes of LEO small sats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Yeah, but the 2nd stage engine fairing doubles as the grid fin! 

I actually think that's a cool concept, though unsure how that works from a heat load standpoint.

48 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Anyways I’m not convinced that Starship will wipe out the demand for midsize launchers- especially if the commercial satellite paradigm is shifting from big GEO sats to hordes of LEO small sats. 

I am pretty convinced. If it works at any level of reuse at all, other rockets are obsolete. Europe can still launch the old way if they have to to support Arianespace, but they will be paying out the nose by comparison.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if SpaceX would sell parts or software to competitors- it is a typical practice for the rest of the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 30 minutes I think

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't look good.

The telemetry was showing it way low.

Like 30km low after supposed S2 ignition.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.