Disable embedded images? (convert to link)

Geonovast

A very recent post discussing profile image size had me thinking.  The primary reason for keeping the size down is for the sake of the forum host's bandwidth.  One of my arguments for that discussion was going to be consideration for people with low bandwidth or low speed ISPs as well.  Unfortunately this very screenshot-heavy topic kinda mucks that up anyway, regardless of what the forum's restrictions are.  For example, I used to be on satellite internet, with a daily bandwidth usage of 512 MB shared among 4 people.  My colonization of Dres report would kill a large portion of that on its own.  Spoilers don't help, it still loads the pictures even if they're not visible.

I know when posting a picture, you can display it as a link instead.  Is there a way to have a per-user setting to make the switch globally?  That way, low bandwidth users would only load the screenshots if they wish.  I realize Squad's options regarding the forum software are pretty limited, but maybe a request could be forwarded to Invision.

• 2 years later...

I'd like to take the liberty of reviving this thread, since a) it's not very long and b) my question is similar.

I used to post screenshots in a table in order to lay them out across the page -- but this isn't great for users on small screens.

The same can be accomplished simply by scaling the screenshots down to a smaller size and putting them on one line so that the browser can split them anywhere on the screen as it likes.  Clicking the screenshot gets a full-size view, too, when desired.

Now I want a simple caption under each screenshot.  (The images, by the way, are being hosted on imgur.)  Here's the objective:

PERSONNEL HANGAR

afIwpq6.png 6XwqZIR.png IS3FgcS.png SB4RKtM.png Uz2iBrm.png
Jetstar Panther Hexapen Dolphine 2020 Magellan Light Cruiser

But I've done this with a 1,200 pixel table.

So I tried making each image/caption a 2-row/1-column table and putting N of them on a line.  But Invision won't seem to allow more than one table on a line.

I think I'm probably schnookered...  just hoping somebody has an idea.

Unfortunately, just because the image has been scaled down, doesn't mean it loads less data.  The whole image is still being loaded, just displayed at a smaller size.  When you see sites that use a lot of thumbnails to keep down loading time, the thumbnails are actually different files that are significantly smaller, and just link to the full size version.

If I right click on, say, the Magellan Light Cruiser picture that you have scaled down, and click "View Image Info", it displays the size as 2.2 MB.  Identical to the size if I do the same at the KerbalX page it links to.

What I do is to publish my screenshots on a site that automatically generates thumbnails and previews for the images, I use the previews here and I add a link to the image to the full image.

I didn't had thought about the table stunt, it gave me some ideas...

Edited by Lisias
These autocorrects are starting to get into my nerves...

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:

doesn't mean it loads less data

Well, that is very true, but my objective is simply lay-out.  (It might be worth me reducing the thumbnail sizes as a related project, though; and I am splitting one post with all images into a dozen posts sorted by Hangars.  I know that doesn't help when posts are on the same page, as the browser will have to load all the images on a page.)

For now, I think I will have to stick to the 1,200-pix width table which is a penalty for phone users, but they can always transfer to my KerbalX site and browse by Hangar there.  It's either that, or just go with pix only and no captions...  Or have a separate index for hand-held devices.

Someone will inevitably ask me why I am effectively mirroring KerbalX (I ask myself the same question) but the motivation was so that adding a new post would come up in the forum feed and also to be able to click sequentially through a Hangar.

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.