[1.12.x] Engine Ignitor Re-ignited Release - NEW DEPENDENCY ADDED

linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I'm really enjoying this mod, so thank you for your work on it. I'm having a repeated problem when I try to ignite 2 radially attached  LV-1R "Spider" or LV-1 "Ant" Liquid Fuel Engines or  at the same time on a small probe and only one ignites and I get a message that says "You do not have enough electric charge," even though my craft has over 90 EC remaining and the requirement for the engine is only 2EC. If I activate the engine that failed to ignite again immediately after failure while the other engine is still running and throttle is still up, then it ignites fine every time. Running KSP 12.2.2.3167. Is there a simple fix for this? Or is there a way to turn off the EC requirement completely? The button that toggles IgnitorActive to True or False also has no effect on this problem.

Edit: I've solved my own problem by finding this --> https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EngineIgnitor/blob/master/GameData/EngineIgnitor/MM_Configs/RemoveEC_EngineIgnitor.cfg.disabled Thanks again for your work on this and so many other mods, Linuxgamerguru

Edited by Joontry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 4:11 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You are dealing with a mod interaction, the problem is with Cape Kanaveral mod, not this

Just a little follow-up, I narrowed down the problem to KSRSS, and an uninstall and reinstall of the mod in question somehow fixed it.

I'm just documenting this here in case someone else has the same problem in future.

Hi linuxgurugamer.

I wrote some notes about this bug on previous page.

I was sniffing about details of conditions when it happens and it realy looks to me, that problem is onlly when i add probe core to the boosters and this boosters must be connected together by pipes for fuel transfer.

Imagine rocket, that have some paiload on the middle booster. And around are 4 boosters connected by pipes in asparagus configuration of fuel flow.

When this boosters are "stupid" (without probe core or kOS processor), rocket works well. But when i add probe cores (for driven landing of boosters) to this boosters, at the moment when there's BECO of first two boosters and i press space for stage, all engines on rest of rocket stops.

In case that there are engines with ignitors, i can reignite them, but when i have on rocket engines which can be ignited only by clamps, whole rocket is in the hell.

So it looks to me, that mod is somehow confused when on rocket is more probe cores.

(BTW: I removed this mod for now after long time and when i try play without it, whole game looks like toy for small kids from that moment... it is now so simple, when playing without precise planing of ignitions and so... Just... i wants to tell, that this mod makes game much more realistic. I didn't realise how big impact it have, until i remove it. )

57 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

somehow fixed it.

hey can I just confirm something with you ... are you saying that you now have ksrss+katniss canaveral + ksrss "adapter" for katniss + engine ignitor + MLP + bdb/whatever ... working? As in, engines getting ignition from the launch pad? and previously, was your symptom that the engines would say no ignitor in range or the launch pad would say no engine in range, or one of those two? i'm nitpicking just because I have this same problem too, and would really like to find a solution. Can you say which parts you uninstalled/reinstalled?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

hey can I just confirm something with you ... are you saying that you now have ksrss+katniss canaveral + ksrss "adapter" for katniss + engine ignitor + MLP + bdb/whatever ... working? As in, engines getting ignition from the launch pad? and previously, was your symptom that the engines would say no ignitor in range or the launch pad would say no engine in range, or one of those two? i'm nitpicking just because I have this same problem too, and would really like to find a solution. Can you say which parts you uninstalled/reinstalled?

Thanks!

Just KSRSS. I uninstalled it, booted up KSP, found to my delight that engine ignitor worked again, reinstalled KSRSS, and the problem was fixed.

And yes I have all the mods you mentioned installed.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, JeromeHeretic said:

Linuxgurugamer do you need from me some more info about probem with dying engines?

Sorry, I've been rather busy with other stuff, also, in order to tag me, you need to start my name with an @  sign like I'm tagging you here  @JeromeHeretic otherwise I don't get notified, I only noticed this when looking at unread stuff.

I assume you are referring to adding this patch:

// LV-T30 Engine v2
@PART[liquidEngine_v2]:NEEDS[!PartOverhauls]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
        IgnitionsAvailable = 0
        AutoIgnitionTemperature = 800
        IgnitorType = External
    }
}

// LV-T45 Engine v2
@PART[liquidEngine2_v2]:NEEDS[!PartOverhauls]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
        IgnitionsAvailable = 4
        AutoIgnitionTemperature = 800
        IgnitorType = Internal
        UseUllageSimulation = true
        ChanceWhenUnstable = 0.2  //0-1
        ECforIgnition = 20
    }
}

????

@linuxgurugamer

Yes, i know you maintaining a lot of mods, so you are busy all the time (and thanks for that...) . :-)

Well, i don't have problem with engines which can be started by clamps only (if i don't like it, i can fix it by myself), but with engines cut off in case i use fuel pipes and add probe core to boosters for later automatic landing. In this configuration when i stage,  all engines on the rocket dies. So if i use engines which start only by clamps, there's no possibility to reignite them and rocket goes to hell. But even when i use engines with few ingitors, i must spent next ignitor for reignition of engines. And after next stage use next ignitor...

When i don't add probe cores to boosters, this doesn't happens and staging works well. But this way i can't save boosters, because i can't land with them. Only is possible add parachutes on first stage boosters, which are dropped in low altitude and there's no need to have probe core on them, just let deploy shutes by staging.

But this is not possible for next stages, which goes to much higher altitude, or out of atmosphere in suborbital trajectory and is needed do retroburn and deploy shutes back in low altitude, when most of velocity dropped down.

So whole problem is in using fuel pipe (FTX-2 External Fuel Duct) and any probe core on boosters. When i build rocket without piping boosters, everything work fine. So mod is confused only in using both - fuel pipes and also probe cores on boosters. But without piping are rockets much less effective and it realy suxx on heavy carriers for big payloads.

I think, that as hotfix it can by bypassed by lowering auto ignite temperature for some let say 400 K, but i think this is a bug anyway.

You can try it by ourself, build some rocket with 4 side boosters and from booster 1 and 3 set pipes to booster 2 and 4. From boosters 2 and 4 set pipes to middle one and launch.

Everything will work good. Now try next start with the same rocket, bude add to booster 2 and 4 probe cores. When you stage and drop boosters 1 and 3, all engines on rocket cut off in the moment you press space for staging boosters 1 and 3.

That's the problem im asking for...

6 minutes ago, JeromeHeretic said:

You can try it by ourself, build some rocket with 4 side boosters and from booster 1 and 3 set pipes to booster 2 and 4. From boosters 2 and 4 set pipes to middle one and launch.

Everything will work good. Now try next start with the same rocket, bude add to booster 2 and 4 probe cores. When you stage and drop boosters 1 and 3, all engines on rocket cut off in the moment you press space for staging boosters 1 and 3.

If you could provide some example craft along with a complete mod list, I could test it out.  Unfortunately, trying to replicate a build is quite often an exercise in futility

@linuxgurugamer

So i spent this afternoon by cleaning my game installation and then searching mod configuration when problem occured.

And surprisingly i found, that problem is done by remote tech mod, it's not problem of engine ignitor mod.

And also i found how to change settings of remote tech to prevent this problem.

I scribe it there for case that somebody other meet this problem too:

In Remote Tech settings in Miscellaneous options is option "Throttle unaffected by loss of connection". By turning this option off is problem solved.

I think, that there is some race condition in remote tech code, so when i stage and there is probe core on boosters, for a few microseconds remote tech "think", that

the whole rocket loss connection and cut off engines. When there are engines which can be reignited, when remote tech code start act that rocket have connection again,

game also try to reignite engines. But sometimes it's not successfull, some engine is not ignited and rocket goes to spin because thrust is unbalanced at that moment...

(and when there are engines without internal ignitor, game is over in every case...)

Thanks for your concern for this trouble, but now i see, that problem is not in this mod definitively.

So ignition will be independent on batteries, but probability of ignition in certain conditions stays?

I don't know how realistic is electric starting anyway? I though, that for reigniting are used some hypergolic fuel capsules directly injected in the burn chamber (or somewhere into turbopump burning part)?

But... also i know that there exist engines (usualy the smaller ones) which have turbopumps powered only by electric engines. This type of engine is surely not possible restart without electricity.

EDIT:

BTW: If it's easier for you, i can live without electricity dependency, no problem with that.

Edited by JeromeHeretic

On 2/14/2022 at 3:10 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

For all interested, I'm thinking of removing the EC requirement here completely.  Looking for comments.

Reason: it will simplify things, and make this a bit more abstracted.  

Honestly this is an issue with early rockets that dont have enought EC. After the early game, it becomes kinda irrelevant. 

On a different note, would it be possible to add ingnitions based on ISP/trust/weight/fuel type instead of a fixed value? that way new patches would not be needed for  all the engines and maintaining the mod would be easier.  Kerbalism does something similar. 

7 hours ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

Honestly this is an issue with early rockets that dont have enought EC. After the early game, it becomes kinda irrelevant. 

On a different note, would it be possible to add ingnitions based on ISP/trust/weight/fuel type instead of a fixed value? that way new patches would not be needed for  all the engines and maintaining the mod would be easier.  Kerbalism does something similar. 

This isn't Kerbalism :D

Seriously, I'm not doing a lot of work on this, it was suggested to me to eliminate the EC, which would be fairly simple

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 4:04 PM, Beetlecat said:

Is the "Simulation mode" toggle button actually functional?

I was just fiddling around with something else and teleported a stock lander craft to Munar orbit, when suddenly faced with the inability to activate the landing engines! :D (craft also doesn't have RCS thrusters)

I'm noticing that remaining ignitions and ullage requirements are still being enforced no matter which state the toolbar button is in.  Does this need to be set ahead of loading/launching a craft to have an impact, or should it literally be available whenever?

Did you manage to disable the ullage simulation? I made a career save with ullage disabled but ullage was enforced. When I raised the ignition chance to 100%, ullage was still being enforced.

EDIT: I wanted to say thanks for maintaining this mod linuxgurugamer, it's a good alternative to have.

Edited by NyanTurian

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, NyanTurian said:

Did you manage to disable the ullage simulation? I made a career save with ullage disabled but ullage was enforced. When I raised the ignition chance to 100%, ullage was still being enforced.

EDIT: I wanted to say thanks for maintaining this mod linuxgurugamer, it's a good alternative to have.

I made a (nuclear) MM patch to completely disable ullage for the time being because I couldn't get it to disable in game either.

//Optional patch to remove ullage requirement
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor]]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
    {
        %UseUllageSimulation = false
        %ChanceWhenUnstable = 1.0
    }
}

Besides that the mod works great. Thanks for keeping this one up to date LGG!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm trying out this mod.

1. I don't see any toolbar button to control this mod from within the game. In the toolbar controller, I can see Engine Ignitor as an option, but regardless of having it in the stock toolbar and/or the Blizzy toolbar doesn't show up anywhere.

2. As of version 1.3.7.4, there are duplicate patches in MM_Stock.cfg which were introduced here.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.3.7.4

• Added patch by @JeromeHeretic to fix the updated updated Swivel and Reliant engines

Namely, the LV-T30 and LV-T45 now have 3 duplicate patches each. Also, @JeromeHeretic 's name was misspelled in one of the comments of that config file. The fix is to remove 2 duplicates for each of those engines. Also I believe that there is no longer a patch for the old versions of the LV-T30 and LV-T45 engines.

3. Sometimes the system will say that I don't have enough EC to light the engine, when I do. I agree with others in that the requirement for EC to start the engine should be removed because i.) it's apparently buggy, ii.) it's difficult to see how much EC is required, and iii.) it's an over-complication.

4. Some balance changes I would suggest:

a.) I feel like the LV-909 Terrier should have more than 8 ignitions, seeing as how it's an upper stage/lander engine. I gave it 16.

b.) The LV-1 "Ant" has two versions, and the new version now requires ullage by default. The LV-1R Spider equivalents do not require ullage, so I think that the Ant should not require ullage either. I also think that the Ant's "auto-ignition temperature" should be the same as the Spider, at 500.

c.) I don't understand why the Toroidal Aerospike should have 0 ignitions. That just makes it even more niche than before. I have previously used it for SSTOs on e.g. Laythe, and this 0-ignition thing obliterates that already-niche use. So I think it should have like 10 internal ignitions.

5. I think that the Engine Ignitors Toolbox should be able to be put in the stock inventory system and slapped onto a rocket using an Engineer. This can be done by adding the following to the part.cfg file. I picked a volume of 125 L because that it's similar in shape to the Z-400 Battery.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart
        packedVolume = 125
    }

Overall this is an interesting mod in that it doesn't change much, yet it demands a fairly significant change in mission planning.

6 hours ago, minkar81002 said:

I think that the Engine Ignitors Toolbox should be able to be put in the stock inventory system

Absolutely vote for this.

6 hours ago, minkar81002 said:

Overall this is an interesting mod in that it doesn't change much

I only use this mod with parts that really support it - namely, BDB. With stock parts or parts from other mods, it feels like it's sort of arbitrary (as you've noted) but actual historical engines are well and accurately covered, and having limited ignitions is indeed a game changer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.