[1.12.x] Engine Ignitor Re-ignited Release - NEW DEPENDENCY ADDED

linuxgurugamer

On 2/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Nittany Tiger said:

Anyone ever suggested an option that enables and disables ullage requirements?  Like it could be in the difficulty options.  Not something I'd need, but maybe something others might like if they want a bit of flexibility with this mod.

An interesting idea, and not too hard to implement.  Of course, I. An already see some interesting issues.

Ill be pulling your PR this weekend, will see if I can add the Ulage option as well

New release, 1.3.3:

• Added option to disable Ullage simulation for all engines
  • Thanks to forum user @Nittany Tiger for the following:
    • Add configs for OPT's OPT-E J Linear Aerospike and OPT-E SCOOP Rocket "ARI-75b".
    • Update MM_Bluedog.cfg, Now includes configs for Agena A, Agena D, Atlas "Bossart" engines, Titan LR-87 single chamber vacuum, Saturn F-1A, J-2S, J-2A-2, J-2 sea level, and J-2T-250K.

There are two modules to use:

ModuleExternalIgnitor is for launch clamps, to provide ignitiors.
and
ModuleEngineIgnitor is for engines, to consume ignitors and make use of the ullage simulation.

Then:

The IgnitorType field does not actually affect anything; it just prints a line to the part description in game. (To help players with designing their vessels)

IgnitionsAvailable is really where the action is. Setting this value to 0 means the engine will rely on external ignitors. Setting it to anything else will give that number of ignitors to that engine.

Don't forget to also define these:

ECforIgnition 
ChanceWhenUnstable (a decimal value between 0 and 1)
UseUllageSimulation (true or false)
AutoIgnitionTemperature (most engines are set to 800)

Which are all pretty self explanatory. Take a look at the existing configs to see examples. 

@linuxgurugamer Did you ever get a chance to mess with ullage sensitivity?

Edited by Errol

Two ignitor modules are showing in KSP with the new configs I made, looks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcw0ba1v8aylwcd/Capture.PNG?dl=0

And this is the config:

@PART[SYengine2mR1]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEngineIgnitor
		IgnitionsAvailable = 8
		AutoIgnitionTemperature = 800
		IgnitorType = SY-2
		UseUllageSimulation = True
		ChanceWhenUnstable = 0.2
		ECforIgnition = 100

}
}

@dlrk Some notes on balance, 100 EC seems a little high, compared to where other engines are balanced. I generally make it around 20 - 50 EC. Also, I usually just write "Internal" or "External" for the IgnitorType, though even this is a little redundant as the plugin adds a floating reminder over the part itself in VAB

22 minutes ago, Errol said:

@dlrk Some notes on balance, 100 EC seems a little high, compared to where other engines are balanced. I generally make it around 20 - 50 EC. Also, I usually just write "Internal" or "External" for the IgnitorType, though even this is a little redundant as the plugin adds a floating reminder over the part itself in VAB

I think I put a .pdf in there that has all the stock engine stats to use as a guide. 

Yeah, I go off of the stock engines along with other engines in a parts pack with Ignitor configs when I think about what values to set for the configs I've written.  I've never set EC required to anything more than 30, and that was for one of the Kerbal Atomics engines.

Also thanks @linuxgurugamer for implementing my disabling ullage idea.  Hopefully that makes some peeps happy.

I might make configs for SXT since I don't see any configs for those.  May also make configs for other packs upon request.  I just happened to make ones for mods I was using but were missing configs.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

Ping @DennyTX, @HoneyFox

Can you offer any insight about the ullage simulation code? It is not working properly in it's current implementation, and @linuxgurugamer has expressed that it does not seem like an easy fix. 

The issue is that acceleration does not seem to affect fuel stability properly. It almost seems like the ullage simulation is only looking at gravity, trajectory and orientation, and not acceleration at all. While ascending in a gravity turn fuel stability in upper stages will cycle between stable and unstable, without any control input sometimes. Often it will simply be unstable if you are not pointed perfectly prograde, and even then, it will still often be unstable. 

Edited by Errol

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2018 at 6:36 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.3.3:

• Added option to disable Ullage simulation for all engines
  • Thanks to forum user @Nittany Tiger for the following:
    • Add configs for OPT's OPT-E J Linear Aerospike and OPT-E SCOOP Rocket "ARI-75b".
    • Update MM_Bluedog.cfg, Now includes configs for Agena A, Agena D, Atlas "Bossart" engines, Titan LR-87 single chamber vacuum, Saturn F-1A, J-2S, J-2A-2, J-2 sea level, and J-2T-250K.

@linuxgurugamer : I am using a KSP 1.3.1 install with EngineIgnitor 1.3.3.

Because of the ullage simulation not working correctly for me i tried to disable the ullage simulation in the persistent.sfs file.

I also changed the ChanceWhenUnstable to 100 as the deactivation of the ullage simulation did not work on a first try in a Krash simulation.

EI
		{
			ChanceWhenUnstable = 100
			allowTestMode = False
			useBlizzy = False
			useUllage = False
		}

This did not work in a KRASH simulation either (chance was still 20%, fuel flow was unstable and ignition failed often)

I then started a new sandbox game with the same settings configured in the settings options when creating the save.

There it was also not working and showing the same symptoms as in the KRASH simulation.

Am i missing something? Is this a confirmed bug?

EDIT:

5 years of playing KSP and i just found out, that i can look at the settings of the current save game ingame..... nevertheless ullage simulation is shown to be turned off there, too.

Edited by BlueTiger12

@linuxgurugamer I downloaded the latest version from DennyTX (1.2.1) since I'm still playing with KSP 1.2.2, but I want to add the changes that you made and the mod support that you added to it. For the mod support, I believe that I just need to replace the old MM_Configs folder for the new one wright? This will change the need to use hypergolic fuel as well?

Thanks in advance!

On 2/27/2018 at 7:03 AM, Errol said:

Ping @DennyTX, @HoneyFox

Can you offer any insight about the ullage simulation code? It is not working properly in it's current implementation, and @linuxgurugamer has expressed that it does not seem like an easy fix. 

The issue is that acceleration does not seem to affect fuel stability properly. It almost seems like the ullage simulation is only looking at gravity, trajectory and orientation, and not acceleration at all. While ascending in a gravity turn fuel stability in upper stages will cycle between stable and unstable, without any control input sometimes. Often it will simply be unstable if you are not pointed perfectly prograde, and even then, it will still often be unstable. 

That's a shame. First thing I thought of when reading about this mod was desperate kerbals spinning a rocket to use centrifugal force to push fuel into the motor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 12:31 AM, BlueTiger12 said:

@linuxgurugamer : I am using a KSP 1.3.1 install with EngineIgnitor 1.3.3.

Because of the ullage simulation not working correctly for me i tried to disable the ullage simulation in the persistent.sfs file.

I also changed the ChanceWhenUnstable to 100 as the deactivation of the ullage simulation did not work on a first try in a Krash simulation.

EI
		{
			ChanceWhenUnstable = 100
			allowTestMode = False
			useBlizzy = False
			useUllage = False
		}

This did not work in a KRASH simulation either (chance was still 20%, fuel flow was unstable and ignition failed often)

I then started a new sandbox game with the same settings configured in the settings options when creating the save.

There it was also not working and showing the same symptoms as in the KRASH simulation.

Am i missing something? Is this a confirmed bug?

EDIT:

5 years of playing KSP and i just found out, that i can look at the settings of the current save game ingame..... nevertheless ullage simulation is shown to be turned off there, too.

@linuxgurugamer: I just had the time to try this again on a clean 1.3.1 game.

Only Engine Ignitor (standalone) 1.3.3, Toolbar controller and ModuleManager are installed.

I started a new game and disabled Ullage simulation and set the ignition chance to 100%.

Still the ullage simulation is activated when in flight.

Log entries are:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

EngineIgnitor: minPotential: 0.2, chance: 0.4549751

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

EngineIgnitor: minPotential: 0.2, chance: 0.9290937

EngineIgnitor: minPotential: 0.2, chance: 0.1608593

Here i staged until the engine fired while in flight.

Still in the settings menu ullage simulation is disabled and ignition chance is set to 100%.

Also in the VAB when selecting an engine it sais "Ullage simulation disabled".

Am i missing something or does the settings have no effect?

@linuxgurugamer I am sorry, i don't understand where you point me to.

I understand, that the ullage simulation is not working correctly, but i thought therefore you implemented the option to disable it.

Or does this also mean, that the option to disable the simulation, that you implemented in 1.3.3 is also known to be not working?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.