[1.12.x] Engine Ignitor Re-ignited Release - NEW DEPENDENCY ADDED

linuxgurugamer

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, because it is on CKAN?????

If you aren't seeing it, then it may be because you are running 1.4.3 or 1.4.4, and you haven't told CKAN to allow all 1.4 mods to be seen as compatible

I'm sorry, but the publicly available version simply doesn't include ignitors for the Making History engines. I'm using the correct version, I've reinstalled it on CKAN, and to triple check, I also downloaded it from Spacedock and checked the files on GitHub. None of these sources include MM configs for the Making History engines. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Daedalus451 said:

I'm sorry, but the publicly available version simply doesn't include ignitors for the Making History engines. I'm using the correct version, I've reinstalled it on CKAN, and to triple check, I also downloaded it from Spacedock and checked the files on GitHub. None of these sources include MM configs for the Making History engines. Thanks.

I'll have to look at it, i thought there were some generic configs

@linuxgurugamer I've been playing around with your mod, and I have some problems with the ullage. From what I understood from the posts in the forum, I would just need some RCS pushing during ignition. However, that was not working for me at all, even though I was getting as much as 0.09g (I added many RCS thrusters to test it): the engine would always be unstable. I had a look at the relevant code in in GitHub, and found this if statement:

if (a < 90 && Math.Cos(a) * vessel.geeForce_immediate >= 0.01 || vessel.Landed)

Which looks to me as if it is also checking the angle of the speed vector compared to the planet. So I then I went and pushed the RCS in either the RADIAL IN or OUT, and then I get the fuel state to be stable intermittently (still unstable for most of the time tho!)

I don't understand what the need for the angle check is for, because even with the right angle it seems hard to get any stability at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry to ask but I could not find any tutorial about the mod and the few information on the thread is really not enough for me.

1- I've always unstable fuel when in orbit even using RCS to "push" it. Is it normal? Is there an other tool to use ?

2- What's the purpose of the IgnitorToolbox and how to use it ?

3- Where do I find the tank for the hypergolicFluid ?

4- Is there a way to increase the number of ignition in game once in fly ?

If there is a tuto some where I would kindely read it.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer thank you for all the work you put into these mods. I just have a few questions.

Is this mod still being developed? I understand it is probably hard to develop a mod that you wouldn't use. 

I have been having a slight problem. I know the ullage system is broken. So I turned it off and started a new career. Unfortunately the setting does not appear to be working because the ullage system still prevents ignition.

I was poking around the code and I think I may have found the issue. I am certainly not a C# programmer. The only coding experience I have is C++ in embedded SOC systems for small projects. And this is only a hobby at best.

So I noticed 2 variable that appear to be tracking the setting for the ullage system. The variables are:

useUllage in Settings.cs (defaults to true) and useUllageSimulation in engineignitor.cs.

I see a check of the useUllageSimulation variable in engineignitor.cs but I dont see where this variable will get set to false by a check of the useUllage variable from the settings menu? 

Am I wrong with this or am I just missing something? I would attempt a fix myself but I regrettably dont have the experiance to work through this problem myself.

Of course any effort you put into this mod or any other mods is greatly appreciated. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, Skyrunner84 said:

I have been having a slight problem. I know the ullage system is broken. So I turned it off and started a new career. Unfortunately the setting does not appear to be working because the ullage system still prevents ignition.

I'm seeing the same thing. No matter if I disable the ullage system or turn the chance to ignite up to 100% the engines (with ignitors) still won't start reliably. 

On 9/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, Godit said:

I'm seeing the same thing. No matter if I disable the ullage system or turn the chance to ignite up to 100% the engines (with ignitors) still won't start reliably. 

I have done a workaround for this issue. I think I may have misunderstood the variables. Anyway I edited the config files for the engines that I use so that useUllageSimulation = Fales. It works and is fairly easy to do using a text editor and the search and replace. Since I am only really using BDB I just edited that CFG file.

I also tried to edit the number of ignitors on some of the engines to be more realistic. For example the old Atlas sustained engine IRL was always ignited on the ground along with the main boosters. The CFGs that are distributed with this mod have that engine with 6 ignitors (I think). Unfortunately I have not been able to get these changes to work.

@linuxgurugamer

I have tried turning off the ullage simulation in the settings. Also tried to set the chance of unstable restart to 100%. Nothing works. Just to note these settings were made in a new career save.

Like I said these settings are also being set in the BDB config file. Is it possible that that CFG is making the settings stick regardless of the game difficulty settings?

On 9/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, dlrk said:

It's not BDB, ullage simulation is stuck on for me, and I don't have BDB

I know... it is for me too. The thing is that this mod uses CFG files to configure the number (and type?) Of ignitor and to determine if that engine uses the ullage simulation at. The idea is that some specific engines would have the ullage system disabled regardless of the difficulty settings. For example if you had a radial vernier engine that you always wanted to start regardless of ullage, you could set useUllageSimulation to false for that specific engine.  My workaround is that you need to find the CFG files that configure the engines that you use (whatever mod engines like BDB or stock). You then look for a line that says:

useUllageSimulation = True

and change "True" to "False".

If you dont find that line in the CFG file for the particular engine you are using, then try adding it. My guess is that these variables in the CFG files override the settings in the difficulty menu. 

I'm sure that this is just a minor bug. I'm guessing that the code probably applys the CFG setting after and without respect to the difficulty setting. It would be interesting to try using an engine that does not set useUllageSimulation and see how it works.

Just so we are on the same page the CFG files I am talking about are the ones that come in the engineIgnitor folder with the mod.

Edited by Skyrunner84
Clarify the use of CFG files by the mod.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, I second the feeling that it needs too much time to get the fuel stable - more than 20 seconds with <1g acceleration in my case to finally get the readout saying "stable".

Using RCS forward for 10 seconds was not enough.

The engine luckily had built-in verniers - those fired up and pushed enough that I could manually acitvate the central engine then ...

On 10/21/2018 at 4:29 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm, I second the feeling that it needs too much time to get the fuel stable - more than 20 seconds with <1g acceleration in my case to finally get the readout saying "stable".

Using RCS forward for 10 seconds was not enough.

The engine luckily had built-in verniers - those fired up and pushed enough that I could manually acitvate the central engine then ...

This is an interesting development. In all honesty, I've been away from this game for a while now, frustrated at my old computer's inability to run the game with all the mods I love, like this one, at the same time. 

I remember getting really frustrated trying to make sense of what the stability read out was telling me, it seemed to just decided to change states randomly as my vessels orientation changed. But you are saying enough force in the right direction will eventually lead to an actual stable read out of "stable" so you can confidently fire your engines? That just means it's a matter of having appropriately sized ullage engines. This is something that I will look further into when my new computer is finally in front of me hopefully within the next couple months. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.