Command Moduels...

Hans Kerman

As @Whisky Tango Foxtrot so elegantly put it; Kerbals need a command pod in order to control their craft.

You don't "need a command pod" so much as you "need a Kerbal, who needs a command pod."

Of course you can always use probe cores, but I suppose by the loosest definition that's still a "command pod" of sorts?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

(snip)

Softened my earlier comment as I just realized you've been playing the demo. Apologies.

As for command pods, since 1.2 was released, having a ship with a pilot aboard is often your best bet. Especially when traveling to new worlds where you don't yet have proper communications. Except to transmit science, a command module does not need a connection to Kerbin.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

You don't need a "command pod" on everything, only on stuff that will carry a crew.  The answer as to why you need one should be pretty obvious, the Kerbal needs a habitat with life support and all the controls and instrumentation needed to fly the ship.

For vessels not carrying a crew we need a "probe core".  The probe core is the brains of the spacecraft.  In real life every spacecraft requires on onboard computer (often referred to as the command and data subsystem) that is overall responsible for the management of the spacecraft's activities.  It maintains timing, interprets commands from mission control, collects, processes and formats telemetry data, and manages fault-protection and safing routines.  I've always presumed that the probe core is the spacecraft computer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.