[1.12.x] Filter Extensions (No localization)

linuxgurugamer

9 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Could I suggest that FilterExtensions, by default, should not show parts that have their TechHidden property set to 'true'?

Hey @Poodmund o/

And here I am speaking against your suggestion:

1. Only with this kind of "unfiltered filtering" I can find and block old, depreciated parts and

2. Hopefully perma prune them one day.

Or how else would you do that?

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

Hey @Poodmund o/

And here I am speaking against your suggestion:

1. Only with this kind of "unfiltered filtering" I can find and block old, depreciated parts and

2. Hopefully perma prune them one day.

Or how else would you do that?

You would change a setting in Filter Extensions to show parts that have TechHidden = True... hence my suggestion: "Could I suggest that FilterExtensions, by default, should not show parts that have their TechHidden property set to 'true'?"

Also, you should really not be using deprecated parts, especially modded parts, they are deprecated for many reasons.

-----

Further to my previous post, I'd also like to point out that, for whatever silly reason, only the Stock 'Filter by Function' list hides parts with TechHidden = True. If you 'Filter by: Cross Section, Module, Resource, Manufacturer or Tech Level' the filters, again, ignore TechHidden = True. Its almost as if SQUAD have forgotten to apply this specific filter on these filter sets. See below:

idcecpA.png

Just now, Poodmund said:

"Could I suggest that FilterExtensions, by default, should not show parts that have their TechHidden property set to 'true'?"

Fine with me if there's a configurable filter for that, yes.

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

Also, you should really not be using deprecated parts, especially modded parts, they are deprecated for many reasons.

Exactly! Hence I need to find and prune them. As I wrote earlier, I have too many crafts in use originating from 1.3.x, and, while updated and updated over the years, they still contain old, depreciated parts. That's where this "unfiltered filtering" helps me a lot.

I would argue that the informed user, such as yourself, should be the one to jump through hoops whereas the uninformed user (using Linux as an example here) should not be accidentally putting deprecated parts on their vessel without realising they're doing so.

37 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

should be the one to jump through hoops

Don't underestimate my ability to procrastinate things like cleaning up my old vessels :D 

But as I said, if I as mod user can have a filter to enable/disable depreciated parts, I'd be happy with that.

How to find depreciated parts is the bigger question. Some parts have been in the past Squad-auto upgraded and moved to \GameData\Squad\zDeprecated. Others though have not but simply have TechHidden = true. Others have T echRequired = Unresearcheable (ScanSat).

Which means there is no one single unified concept what depreciated does mean, and how parts are marked as depreciated. 

Edited by VoidSquid

6 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Which means there is no one single unified concept what depreciated does mean, and how parts are marked as depreciated. 

There is and I posted it at the top of my first post on this matter in the code block. If you see mods doing it differently, notify them.

13 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

But as I said, if I as mod user can have a filter to enable/disable depreciated parts, I'd be happy with that.

How to find depreciated parts is the bigger question. Some parts have been in the past Squad-auto upgraded and moved to \GameData\Squad\zDeprecated. Others though have not but simply have TechHidden = true. Others have T echRequired = Unresearcheable (ScanSat).

FE is highly configurable so I think one would be able to set up a category that includes most of these checks and captures deprecated parts regardless of how they were deprecated. That way even if a mod that has not been maintained in a long time and uses some old, subpar deprecation style, its deprecated parts would show up in the filter. 

Edited by PocketBrotector

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having problems with the default config from this mod (I know that it's optional, I'm just reporting issues.) Most of the time it only sorts stock parts into the custom categories and not always does it right. Some examples:

1. The solar panel category misses the Gigantor solar array and a few more parts. Other categories, such as landing gear, adapters and landing legs have the same problems. Mind you, the parts are researched because I see them in the Electric category. This is only in my main game instance (career mode if that makes a difference.) Somehow, it works right in my mod testing game instance where I have less mods installed.
    Spoiler

PiQy7T1.png

2.  Categories often don't include parts from mods, such as the mod MOLE (fixing the Solar Panel category would be easy, just make it look for 
    ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
    in all parts  because it's very rare for anything to have a built-in solar panel)
    For modules such as batteries it'd be harder, as some modules have built-in batteries. If you give me an example how to modify the default filter config to:
    a) include all parts that have a certain module
    b) include all parts that have some specific phrase in their description or title
    c) exclude parts that have the above but also have a module "X" or phrase "Y" in their description or title
    I could improve the default filter and add a pull request.
  3.  Stock categories still show parts from custom categories. In a way, the custom categories are redundant because of this. While the default config categories should make parts easier to find in those custom categories such as adapters or multi-couplers, sometimes you still have to open the stock categories and they are still cluttered.
Edited by Krzeszny

• 1 month later...

This mod would previously group parts by Mod under the Filter by Manufacturer section - now I think this has changed and it groups parts by their in-game fictional manufacturer.

Is there a way to see parts grouped by Mod?

5 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

This mod would previously group parts by Mod under the Filter by Manufacturer section - now I think this has changed and it groups parts by their in-game fictional manufacturer.

Is there a way to see parts grouped by Mod?

This  mod hasn't changed in years.  Did you have one of the alternative rulesets installed?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for maintaining this mod!   

You likely already know this, but on the off chance, FYI, the link in the first post: 

Docs are in the Filter Extensions Wiki

leads to https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FilterExtension/wiki which is empty.  Perhaps you meant to link to https://github.com/Crzyrndm/FilterExtension/wiki, which has the wiki in question?  Or copy the wiki from Crzyrndm to your github?  

Thought you'd like to know.  Keep up the good work!

13 hours ago, wreckreation said:

Thanks for maintaining this mod!   

You likely already know this, but on the off chance, FYI, the link in the first post: 

Docs are in the Filter Extensions Wiki

leads to https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FilterExtension/wiki which is empty.  Perhaps you meant to link to https://github.com/Crzyrndm/FilterExtension/wiki, which has the wiki in question?  Or copy the wiki from Crzyrndm to your github?  

Thought you'd like to know.  Keep up the good work!

Fixed, thank you

If this is the wrong place to post this, I apologize and feel free to move it.

I need some advice.  I have parts with the following titles:

Large Modular Service Tower
Medium Modular Service Tower
Small Modular Service Tower
Delta II Modular Service Tower
General Strongback Tower 1 - Large
General Strongback Tower 2 - Small

Other things, like required tech or folder name, are not useful for distinguishing between them.  I want to put the first 3 in subcategory A and the last 3 in subcategory B.  So I need to do something like the following [&&=AND, ||=OR, !=NOT]:

SUBCATEGORY A

title(modular) && title(small || medium || large)

SUBCATEGORY B    

title(tower) && !(title(modular) && title(small || medium || large))

A is easy enough, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do B.   Filters OR together, checks AND together and lists OR together.  So

title(modular) && title(small || medium || large)

is easy to do:

CHECK
    {
        type = title
        value = modular
    }
    CHECK
    {
        type = title
        value = small, medium, large
    }

but the only way to NOT that whole thing is to put it in a filter and invert it:

FILTER
    {
        invert = true
        CHECK
        {
            type = title
            value = modular
        }
        CHECK
        {
            type = title
            value = small, medium, large
        }
    }

But now I need to AND all that with the check for title(tower), and I can't because it would OR with another filter.

Am I missing something? Is there another way?  Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just found a weird bug (no exception written) that was not a case about a year ago, before my last hiatus:
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FilterExtension/issues/47

In short:
UniversalStorage2 is not shown as own category.
By the config it should work without problems - as it did last year - but it does not (anymore).

• 1 month later...

New release, 3.2.7

• Thanks to github user @MatanShahar for this:
    • Add support for Configurable Containers (ModuleTankManager)
  • Thanks to @Gordon-Dry for these:
    • fix Mod_NearFutureTechnologies.cfg
    • KopernicusSolarPanels vs. KopernicusSolarPanel
    • Overlooked internal antennas in 08_Science.cfg
    • Fix REFUSE compatibility
    • Add CRE
    • Kerbalism / parts with sample slots
    • Add RTG to SubCategories_Electrical
    • zzz_AntennaClassDescriptions fix
    • Mod_UniversalStorage
    • Mod_NearFutureTechnologies
    • Add "Eisenhower Astronautics - Stockalike Angara" to Tantares
    • SubCategories_Science
    • SubCategories_Antannae

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if I made an installation error or something, but certain FilterExtensions subcategories seem to be overly inclusive. For example, everything that has electric charge or stored charge as a resource is being put under Power Storage and certain ion engines are winding up under adapters, and lots of parts are winding up under multi-couplers.

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'm not sure if I made an installation error or something, but certain FilterExtensions subcategories seem to be overly inclusive. For example, everything that has electric charge or stored charge as a resource is being put under Power Storage and certain ion engines are winding up under adapters, and lots of parts are winding up under multi-couplers.

No logs, no support 

Which configs did you install, and how did you install?

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No logs, no support 

Which configs did you install, and how did you install?

Log

Sorry I forgot that! The only configs are those included with Filter Extensions and Moar Filter Extensions Config

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble getting custom icons to work. I have dxt5 40px square icons, with "_selected" variants, in the 000_FilterExtensions/Icons/Autoloaded_Icons_Mods, and the subcategory references the unselected icon just by file name, but no icons are showing in-game. Do the icons need file paths, or a different format? Or should they go somewhere else?