[1.12.x] Filter Extensions (No localization)

linuxgurugamer

I installed procedural fairings and noticed that only one part from the mod is showing up in the custom filter. All of the other parts are visible from the manufacturer tab, and from the aerodynamics default filter.

So at this point I have no idea how to trust that parts are actually showing up and I'm seeing everything I'm supposed to. Kerbalism parts don't show up in the manufacturer or any of the default filter extension categories, but they do show up in simple mode. 

Here's the player.log after installing procedural fairings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kl0SNg42txIbVDgtYEYvIu5ggLpPafp0/view?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New release, 3.2.6

• Thanks to @Gordon-Dry for these
    • Add Hephaistos
    • Add Luciole
    • Add Dodo Labs
    • Procedural Avionics appears in Procedural Parts category
    • "SRBs" also lists parts with HTPB, PBAN and PSPC
    • "Rockets" also lists parts with Kerosene/LqdOxygen and HTP/Kerosene/LqdOxygen
    • Added subcategory "Sounding Rockets" for the fuel combo Aniline/Furfuryl/IRFNA-III
    • Added subcategory "Early Rockets" for the fuel combos Ethanol75/LqdOxygen | Ethanol75/HTP/LqdOxygen | Ethanol90/HTP/LqdOxygen | Hydyne/HTP/LqdOxygen | AK20/Kerosene
    • Added subcategory "Upper Stage Engines" for the fuel combos IWFNA/UDMH | HTP/Kerosene
    • Added subcategory "GPS" to science in favor of KerbalGPS
    • Repaired appearance in Science category
  • Thanks to github user !7ranceaddic7 for this
    • Wiki Docs Initial Commit

Hey Linuxgurugame

Found an issue where after installing Research Bodies and these Filter mods when editing in VAB:  Filter Extensions - Default Configuration ,  Filter Extensions - Plugin and Moar Filter Extension Configs

You lose 3 sub-categories under "science" that have to do with Antennas(Direct,Relay, can't remember the 3rd one), that are added by these mods: Filter Extensions - Default Configuration ,  Filter Extensions - Plugin and Moar Filter Extension Configs

After you remove the mod 'Research Bodies' these missing sub-catagoires under Science return.

Posted this info in the forum for this mod, tried to attach some logs to the forum post but that was blocked.

Also, just thank you for your Filter mods.  they make finding stuff so much easier.

In the file under Filter Extensions Default Configs, zzz_RemoteTechAddMissingModuleSPUPassive.cfg, there are the following lines:

PARTUPGRADE
{
	name = GD_RT_unmannedTech
	partIcon = GD.RT.unmannedTech
	techRequired = unmannedTech
	entryCost = 2000
	cost = 0 // for display only; all parts implementing this will need a PartStatsUpgradeModule with cost = this.

title = RT: probe cores remote control
	basicInfo = #autoLOC_501093 //#autoLOC_501093 = Warning: May contain traces of sentience.
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501664 //#autoLOC_501664 = Experimental Engineering Group
	description = Probe cores are now remote controllable
}

PARTUPGRADE
{
	name = GD_RT_advUnmanned
	partIcon = GD.RT.advUnmanned
	techRequired = advUnmanned
	entryCost = 4000
	cost = 0 // for display only; all parts implementing this will need a PartStatsUpgradeModule with cost = this.

title = RT: crew pods remote control
	basicInfo = #autoLOC_501119 //#autoLOC_501119 = Improvements in remote control technology for a new generation of probe designs.
	manufacturer = #autoLOC_501667 //#autoLOC_501667 = Integrated Integrals
	description = Crewable pods are now remote controllable (for unmanned testing)
}

PART
{
	name = GD_RT_unmannedTech
	module = Part
	author = Gordon Dry (used under permission of Allis Tauri)
	RSSROConfig = true

MODEL
	{
		model = zFinal_FilterExtensions/RT_Mod/RT_pod_up
	}

TechRequired = HIDDEN
	entryCost = 2000
	cost = 0
	mass = 0
	category = -1
	subcategory = 0
	PhysicsSignificance = 0
	bulkheadProfiles = srf

manufacturer = #autoLOC_501664 //#autoLOC_501664 = Experimental Engineering Group
	title = RT: probe cores remote control
	description = Probe cores are now remote controllable
}

PART
{
	name = GD_RT_advUnmanned
	module = Part
	author = Gordon Dry (used under permission of Allis Tauri)
	RSSROConfig = true

MODEL
	{
		model = zFinal_FilterExtensions/RT_Mod/RT_pod_up
	}

TechRequired = HIDDEN
	entryCost = 4000
	cost = 0
	mass = 0
	category = -1
	subcategory = 0
	PhysicsSignificance = 0
	bulkheadProfiles = srf

manufacturer = #autoLOC_501667 //#autoLOC_501667 = Integrated Integrals
	title = RT: crew pods remote control
	description = Crewable pods are now remote controllable (for unmanned testing)
}

This is causing the part upgrades to appear even when I don't have RemoteTech installed.

I don't think it's precisely a bug (although I found it because I was looking into a bug of some flavor,) but it's definitely strange.

10 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

This is causing the part upgrades to appear even when I don't have RemoteTech installed.

I don't think it's precisely a bug (although I found it because I was looking into a bug of some flavor,) but it's definitely strange.

see https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FilterExtension/pull/39

@etmoonshade @linuxgurugamer btw in my personal install that error was already fixed and I remember that from last year. Somehow these changes did not slip through over the couple of pull requests.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a good way to detect cloned parts with FE and filter for them effectively? For example, Rational Resources has a number of parts that are cloned from stock (variant nuclear engines etc.). If I set up filters based on directory to organize parts by mod, FE thinks that these are from the Squad folder and not the RationalResources or RationalResourcesParts folders.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:04 PM, VoidSquid said:

Another question @linuxgurugamer, if I may, please:

Using FE, there are still some parts (e.g. the fuel line) that are not listed in any category, i.e. have to be found by the search function, or via the stock sorting.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

Get me a list of missing parts,pls, I’ll see what I can do

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 10:07 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Get me a list of missing parts,pls, I’ll see what I can do

That would be for example (if I'm not too blind it is):

fuelLine - not listed at all
GrapplingDevice and smallClaw  - not listed at all
The new personal chute and jetpack as of 1.11 - not listed at all

All pods are listed in various categories, not only under pods (maybe because, since 1.11, they have cargo capacity).
Service bays are listed under Aero Parts

All SmartParts Triggers from your mod.

And a couple more.

Is there a way that I could assign any given part to one and only one specific category? Or create new categories myself?
This way I could do it myself instead of bothering you and wasting your time.

Nothing urgent at all, and thanks in advance for looking into this.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not without codind in cfg files

That's just plain text files, no compilation required. I wouldn't call that true coding, more scripting.

But that fuel line for example,  the category in the respective part.cfg reads FuelTank, nevertheless it is not listed at all by the FilterExtensions. How to solve that?

Edited by VoidSquid

2 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

That's just plain text files, no compilation required. I wouldn't call that true coding, more scripting.

But that fuel line for example,  the category in the respective part.cfg reads FuelTank, nevertheless it is not listed at all by the FilterExtensions. How to solve that?

Coding is coding, doesn’t matter.  And those text files do get compiled, only it happens  at runtime by ModuleManager and the FE code itself.

well, that’s why I need the names, and it would be helpful if you could give me the internal names, you can use the PartInfo mod to get those.

Once I have time and have that information, I can take a look at the FE configs.  But Im rather busy, so the more that you can do for me, the better the chance that I will be able to do something

Thanks, I'll make a little list, will take a moment while. And as I said, it's low priority anyway. :) 
What I love about this mod and why it is so important to me are the subcategories, take fuel tanks or engines as example. Helps immensely finding quickly just what I need.

I'll edit this post as I find time, for starters:

Squad\Parts\CompoundParts\FuelLine\fuelLine.cfg - not to be found anywhere 
Squad\Parts\Utility\GrapplingDevice\part.cfg- not to be found anywhere
Squad\Parts\Utility\smallClaw\smallClaw.cfg- not to be found anywhere

All of the Smart Parts from your mod, SmartParts\Parts - not to be found anywhere

Edited by VoidSquid

3 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Thanks, I'll make a little list, will take a moment while. And as I said, it's low priority anyway. :) 
What I love about this mod and why it is so important to me are the subcategories, take fuel tanks or engines as example. Helps immensely finding quickly just what I need.

I'll edit this post as I find time, for starters:

All of the Smart Parts from your mod, SmartParts\Parts - not to be found anywhere

Are you in a career or sandbox game?  SmartParts don’t show up at the beginning

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you in a career or sandbox game?

Career, tech tree is complete. And I do find the parts using the search function, used them several times already.

I might be too blind though, can't find them in any of the categories (save for the Squad category ofc, for the fuel line and the grabbing units, but that's neither the point nor helpful, is it?).

On 12/20/2020 at 10:36 PM, VoidSquid said:

My guess those part are missing assigned category in config. (Cannot check it right now...) Possible solution - MM patch to add category to those parts.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using KSP 1.10.1. I've installed a bunch of mods with CKAN, including Filter Extensions 3.2.6.

I'm trying to filter some mod parts from showing on the stock subcategories. I edited SubCategories_Stock.cfg, but none of the changes I made changed anything in the game. So I tried a small test, I got the original configs and only changed one line in the Pods subcategory. My understanding is that this change should show the science parts in the pod category, but nothing changed. I don't know if Filter Extensions is just not working or if my understanding of how to edit stock categories is wrong. 

https://i.imgur.com/sWrm0Qi.png

https://i.imgur.com/0RbZWo1.png

Edited by jorgebonafe

@linuxgurugamer after watching your streams a bit I've noticed that you've been using both deprecated Stock parts and also parts that shouldn't be being shown in the parts list due to the fact that you've been filtering parts using Filter Extensions. This seems to be due to the fact that Filter Extensions doesn't seem to be respecting a few part property values that are commonly used when they are either deprecated or intentionally hidden by the mod developer in the part config, being: 

TechHidden = True
	category = none
	subcategory = 0

TechHidden is the most robust as it is widely used in both Stock and part mods for this reason. I will show below, this is KSP 1.11.0 with only Module Manager, Filter Extensions,  ReStock and ReStock+.

3v3LOFa.png

This shows the difference between the Stock engine part filtering and the Filter Extensions engine part filtering, the FE list shows many more engines as it is showing old, deprecated parts and parts that are supposed to be hidden. See the top circled Twitch v1 and Twitch v2 engines both showing in the FE list.

s3wkwJC.png

This image shows the list in FE on both sides, showing the new v2 LV-909 on the left and the deprecated v1 LV-909 on the right which should not be shown.

B3F57v2.png

This also affects mods which use more intelligent MM patching to set the TechHidden property to true against some parts to ensure that the user does not get duplicated parts. For example, in ReStock+ the user should only be shown the UR-137 Schnauzer if the user does not have Making History installed. If they do have Making History installed, it gets patched to TechHidden = true (among other properties) to ensure that the user does not get shown the part, which is essentially the RE-J10 Wolfhound.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CooperativeYawningLarkCoolCat

There's also an example of this in the clip above where you got confused ( :D ) as you were being shown the current v2 ReStock Mainsail alongside the old, deprecated v1 ReStock Mainsail.

TL;DR

Could I suggest that FilterExtensions, by default, should not show parts that have their TechHidden property set to 'true'?