[1.12.x] Filter Extensions (No localization)

linuxgurugamer

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm - the license is for the two files I altered from TCA ... and the only limitation of that license is to put the license into distributions ... :/

ofc I could remove that feature and only let the pure FE stuff inside. (I did it because I wanted it for my personal convenience in the beginning)

Or you ask @allista about it. I had a PM conversation with him so he knows what this is about.

At least specify in the license file exactly what files  it covers

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

I edited the license, may you check it, please.

Still has a problem.

The top half is an MIT license,  Then you have a section which mentions the two files and in that sections it says that it's licensed under CC-BY-SA

I think what you want is this:

The following two files are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

GameData\zFinal_FilterExtensions\RT_pod_up.mu
	GameData\zFinal_FilterExtensions\RT_pod_up.png

Copyright (c) 2014, Quinten Feys, Willem van Vliet, Allis Tauri
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

--------------------------------------------
The following two files are covered by the MIT license:
	zzz_AddClassDescriptionsToAntennas.cfg
	zzz_RemoteTechAddMissingModuleSPUPassive.cfg

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright (c) 2014, David Tregoning

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

Gordon Dry

So I can understand the need for the TCA files to have their license, although I send @allista a message.  But why the MIT license for the cfg files?

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

But why the MIT license for the cfg files?

You're right. I'm not used in licensing. :D

The following two files are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Gordon Dry

File changed.

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

You're right. I'm not used in licensing. :D

Gordon Dry

File changed.

Ok, that I can live with, unless @allista gives me permission to put them under the main license for FE

On 9/28/2018 at 12:57 AM, Divstator said:

I modified some configs for my own use. I made more categories for USI stuff(PackRat, Akita, Malemute, Otter and Karibou. Also put the categories that Roverdude adds to the "Filter by Function" into the USI filter, Konstruction, Kolonization, Logistics, Manufacturing.) Also Added "Payload" to Procedural fairings, so the fairings show up. Added Life Support to KPBS filter. Added a Rover category to the defaults category. Added MKS stuff(including Life Support) to the ISRU default category. Added Kerbal Foundries stuff to the landing gear and rover wheels categories. Added wings, control surface and parachutes to Squad category. Put in a cfg to change the color of the defaults categories.

However some of the changes required icon modifications and I am unsure how that is going to apply to "copyright" stuff. Most of the icons were in Squad, but needed to be inverted to "look right". I modified and used some of Roverdude's icons for the default categories and the USI stuff. I don't think he would have a problem with it, but he does need to be credited? I'm not as up to date as I should be with particulars of the icon copyrights as I should be. As far as I can tell, Roverdude's stuff is CC-Share Alike-Non Commercial.

I had to do some code pretzeling to reorganize the default categories without modifying the files directly, which added some unusual complication to the cfg files. I did a quick glimpse of previous posts and I didn't see the process of how you wanted the configs shared, assuming that you do. So it kinda boils down to this:

Do you want the config files? If so by what means(drop box, git hub, spoiler)? Do you want the configs as they are currently, or modified into a better fit for the FE mod(In their current condition, they have been renamed so that I could reorder the default categories.)? And lastly, I make no guarantees implied or otherwise that they will work as intended, but they seem to behave properly in my own set up...you have been warned. I'm not an experienced professional programmer. On a side note...

Thank you for all the work that you do. I probably use most of the mods that you have adopted and my gaming experience would be severely diminished without your hard work...and I live to game. ;).

I'd be  happy to look at them, if they integrate with the current set, I'll merge them.  If you could identify which icons came from where, I'll look at them and contact the authors if necessary.

Dropbox would be great to send them to me

Never used dropbox before. I hope this is right. There are 13 cfg files and a folder with a handful of modified icons. If you can't see them, let me know. The reason they are organized the way they are is because I am a mechanic by profession and we organize by the job. aka, When I build a car, I want the parts I need for a car. As opposed to, I need tires and a list of tires to choose from and then I need headlights and a list of headlights to choose from. If I'm building a Mustang and I want all the parts that belong to a Mustang because Camaro parts won't fit. Or in this case, if I'm building a rover, landing gears might work, but they aren't what I'm really looking for. If you need me to clean it up some to fit better into FE, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v71v9oqrkr3d9wf/AAAX9ombv0bakcqc7ECBxnaZa?dl=0

@Divstator a total change of the file order does not help - either you stick to the system when these should be enhancements of the mod itself or you provide it as additional patches.

Edit:

I looked into the zip, it's not clear where to put it but it seems you want that to be unzipped directly inside the GameData folder ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

The original mod is unchanged. Those are patches. If I'm understanding you correctly? That's why they are all pre-fixed with the word "Custom". None of the original files are touched other than going through Module Manager patches because updates trash my work if I do that. Were you able to see them? I ask because I don't know if they are showing up properly.

I gotta find out how you do that @thingy :P  Hmmm, there are no "zip" files in there. Perhaps I should change the cfg files to txt? Like I said, never used it before.

Edited by Divstator
confusion :P

@Divstator the way your patches are done they look like main configs of a mod, not patches to be put ON TOP of another mod.

22 minutes ago, Divstator said:

Hmmm, there are no "zip" files in there

Well, I downloaded from the Dropbox link, it seems to be a local folder on your rig, but it results to be downloaded as a .zip

@Gordon Dry Well, I did them that way to keep them organized for myself. I have a folder in my GameData directory called 000_MyCustomConfigs. I put all my custom cfg files in there. Inside that folder I have folders dedicated to the different mods and put the custom cfg files in there. Patching always involves overwriting somebody's mod and I try to keep the original name so that if something I did messes stuff up, I know which cfg file to look for.

So I take it that Dropbox automatically zips a folder if you link it? Sorry for my newbness with the whole Dropbox stuff.

@Divstator looks better now.

What editor do you use?

I see a mismatch of space intends and tab intends, for example:

@CATEGORY[Umbra?Space?Industries0]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
	FILTER
	{
		CHECK
		{
			type = folder
			value = UmbraSpaceIndustries,ART
		}
	}

@SUBCATEGORIES
	{
		list = 0,Pods
		list = 1,Fuel Tanks
		list = 2,Engines
		list = 3,Command and Control
		list = 4,Structural
		list = 5,Coupling
		list = 6,Payload
		list = 7,Aerodynamics
        list = 8,Parachutes
		list = 9,Ground
		list = 10,Thermal
		list = 11,Electrical
		list = 12,Communications
		list = 13,Science
        list = 14,Life Support
        list = 15,Station
        list = 16,ISRU
        list = 17,Kontainers
        list = 18,PackRat
        list = 19,Akita
        list = 20,Malemute
        list = 21,Karibou
        list = 22,Otter
        list = 23,Kolonization
        list = 24,Konstruction
        list = 25,Logistics
        list = 26,Manufacturing
		list = 27,Utility
		list = 28,Undefined
	}
}

I suggest to always use tab intends.

@Gordon DryCurious. Doesn't look that way in my files. I use Notepadd++ with the ModuleManager language extension. I don't generally use tab intends. Old habits from "C" coding I guess. Tabs generally use 5 spaces and I use 2 or 3 unless I am modifying someone else's code in which case I try to follow their indents. However I have my editor set up to use spaces instead of tabs. In the future I'll check for that though.

9 hours ago, Divstator said:

@Gordon DryCurious. Doesn't look that way in my files. I use Notepadd++ with the ModuleManager language extension. I don't generally use tab intends. Old habits from "C" coding I guess. Tabs generally use 5 spaces and I use 2 or 3 unless I am modifying someone else's code in which case I try to follow their indents. However I have my editor set up to use spaces instead of tabs. In the future I'll check for that though.

Actully, tabs default to 8 spaces, unless you’ve changed the defaults.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@Divstator 

I'm looking at your file

It appears that you are totally replacing the current configs, is that correct?  

And it works in conjunction with the current release of FE with all the new files?

@Gordon Dry You've been looking at this, I'd like  your opinion, since you've done a number of the recent changes

It look like a dramatic enough change that I would release it as an alternate config, similar to the alternate config already available.  @Divstator could you do a short writeup and include it as a README.txt file?  Also, please package it up so that the top level directory is GameData, that will make it easier to include.  Finally, they will be under the standard FE license.

Thanks for the contribution

@linuxgurugamer These are the configs for my own setup. It appears as a total rewrite because it was the only way I could reorder the "default" categories without manually doing it in "GameData\000_FilterExtensions_Configs\Default". That part would not be necessarily be required on your end, depending on your choices. However, to do that required renaming all the original modules, modifying them and then renaming them back to the original name. That's why there is a 0 appended to the original name in the Mod filter cfgs. It's also why I was asking if you wanted me to "clean it up" to be integrated into FE. A fair amount could be done away with and it could be used piecemeal in a modular fashion. As it stands right now, you would have to install all the configs for it to work, due to the whole renaming thing or delete the "0" at the end of the category name in the Mod filter. Plus, I'm not certain that I got the ModuleManager patches in the right "order", but it works on my machine.

I'll be happy to do a write up on it, depending on how you want the changes implemented. Should I write it up "as is" or modify it to work with the core FE?

@Gordon Dry The change to PF was small, I just added a "Payload" category to the original. But the current cfg directs the change to category ProceduralFairings0. I suspect it might work if you remove the "0" at the end. In the current state, that would be required for all of them to work. I would change the color in the code block to make it clearer if I could.

@CATEGORY[ProceduralFairings0]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
	FILTER
	{
		CHECK
		{
			type = folder
			value = ProceduralFairings
		}

CHECK
		{
			type = title
			value = Upgrade
			invert = true
		}
	}

@SUBCATEGORIES
	{
		list = 0,Pods
		list = 1,Fuel Tanks
		list = 2,Engines
		list = 3,Command and Control
		list = 4,Structural
		list = 5,Aerodynamics
		list = 6,Utility
		list = 7,Science
		list = 8,Payload
		list = Undefined
	}
}
1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

I was used to always use the "stock" aerodynamics tab when I want to use PF parts ...

I did too until the stock menu grew into 3 pages and the fairings were on page 3. :(  Once I made the cfg change, it was 2 clicks to get them. It just seemed easier to me. I forgot to add that I use "The Janitor's Closet" in conjunction with FE to get rid of "Upgrade" parts and duplicate parts.

Edited by Divstator

33 minutes ago, Divstator said:

@linuxgurugamer These are the configs for my own setup. It appears as a total rewrite because it was the only way I could reorder the "default" categories without manually doing it in "GameData\000_FilterExtensions_Configs\Default". That part would not be necessarily be required on your end, depending on your choices. However, to do that required renaming all the original modules, modifying them and then renaming them back to the original name. That's why there is a 0 appended to the original name in the Mod filter cfgs. It's also why I was asking if you wanted me to "clean it up" to be integrated into FE. A fair amount could be done away with and it could be used piecemeal in a modular fashion. As it stands right now, you would have to install all the configs for it to work, due to the whole renaming thing or delete the "0" at the end of the category name in the Mod filter. Plus, I'm not certain that I got the ModuleManager patches in the right "order", but it works on my machine.

I understand, and would be fine including it as a supplimental addon for the mod.  All you need to do is the writeup and put it into a GameData folder such that it is obvious where files/directories go.