KSP Challenge: A Very Kerbal Kerismus Challenge!

Darth Badie

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

What caught my interest is that they were able to depart from Kerbin!   If it can overcome Eve's gravity...  the only need is to climb back into orbit; not traverse the planets.  I don't see time warp as an issue. 

Could work. Maybe someone with hyper edit can test it for us.

The Kerbals at the KSC wanted to give presents to the other major players, Bob, Bill and Valentina.  So they put their heads together, and came up with an even larger rocket.  They packed it full of presents and sent it off to Minmus

• Valentina got a toy LM
  • Bob got an oversized RC Car
  • And Bob got his dream Scientific Mobile Base

GKttDVC.png

And here is how it happened:

Spoiler

On the pad

khz46U0.png

Ignition

jlDHeoS.png

Liftoff

jlDHeoS.png

Ascent

Ppe1y7B.png

Approaching staging

wSPMcpr.png

Staging the first stage

25rfvKo.png

Burning for orbit

QrigSRj.png

TJ7HgL2.png

Interplanetary Injection Burn

BCCdFlI.png

Landing (yes, the rocket was wayyy overbuilt)

psmpJJS.png

Disengagement of presents and transition to horizontal

2Htuqvi.png

Heading to the landed kerbals

6mS03gj.png

Touchdown

GL6IVv0.png

Portrait time

GKttDVC.png

Bill and his present

S3zhktt.png

Jebediah and his cabin

MMqHzpU.png

Bob and the mobile lab

i0Cuy0s.png

Valentina and the LM

E87dJF3.png

Thanks to:

@Jeb, The Lonely Kerbonaut for the mobile base (check the wheels, they are weird)

@qzgy for the really cute RC car

@EpicSpaceTroll139 for the LM

Santa's Sleigh is experiencing technical difficulties (my game is lagging horribly when I try launching it and when it approaches the tree), so I'm going to have to use a regular rocket to get the Kerbals presents to Minmus and Eve. :( 

@linuxgurugamer How flat do you need the area. I've found a decently high area in the peaks at (0° 1’ 24” S, 166° 16’ 27” W), which I used to test my present for Kringle, but it is tilted around 15-20 degrees I think. If one landed a bit more up the hill (just a smidge north, probably almost dead on the equator), there is likely a flatter spot though, with greater altitude to boot.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

40 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Santa's Sleigh is experiencing technical difficulties (my game is lagging horribly when I try launching it and when it approaches the tree), so I'm going to have to use a regular rocket to get the Kerbals presents to Minmus and Eve. :( 

@linuxgurugamer How flat do you need the area. I've found a decently high area in the peaks at (0° 1’ 24” S, 166° 16’ 27” W), which I used to test my present for Kringle, but it is tilted around 15-20 degrees I think. If one landed a bit more up the hill (just a smidge north, probably almost dead on the equator), there is likely a flatter spot though, with greater altitude to boot.

Well, I'm going to be landing a rocket.  I may be able to adjust it's tilt a bit, but 15-20 degrees may be pushing it.

I do have a place, which I can use if I need to, but it's pretty low (about 1400 m), and I'd like to get a bit more elevation if possible.  I can get into orbit, but it's rather tight.

My biggest problem is actually going to be doing the landing, in a reasonably close distance to where Kris will be.  So I think when I hyperedit Kris to Eve, I'll send either a rover or a plane along.

5 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Wow, some really great entries!  

Checkout the updated Badge Progress table to make sure I haven't missed anyone's achievement.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah to everyone!  :D

I hope to get Kris back home in the next few days.

Keep in mind the following:

• I have never gone to Eve
  • I have never sent Kerbals to another planet
  • I have never returned anything from another planet

That being said, I did do the Solar Retro Challenge, and I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get Kris home.  Not sure if the present will come home with him yet

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, I'm going to be landing a rocket.  I may be able to adjust it's tilt a bit, but 15-20 degrees may be pushing it.

I do have a place, which I can use if I need to, but it's pretty low (about 1400 m), and I'd like to get a bit more elevation if possible.  I can get into orbit, but it's rather tight.

I suppose the main reason I'm able to deal with that slope is because my rocket has the bottom of the present box to keep it standing tall :P 

Anyways, as I mentioned, it looked a bit flatter slightly north. Perhaps try 0°N, 166° 16’ 27” W.

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I suppose the main reason I'm able to deal with that slope is because my rocket has the bottom of the present box to keep it standing tall :P 

Anyways, as I mentioned, it looked a bit flatter slightly north. Perhaps try 0°N, 166° 16’ 27” W.

It's actually not the landing which is the problem, it's the takeoff.  Although I suppose the F5/F9 keys are going to get abused during this mission :-)

On 12/13/2017 at 9:10 PM, James Kerman said:

An Eve return to orbit for Christmas?  I must have been a naughty boy this year.

Difficult, but doable, even in stock

14 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

They admitted publicly and/or demonstrated undeniable "naughty-ness" of course!

Ok.

And what about the stock cabin I made being added to the gift list?

On 12/25/2017 at 10:31 AM, XLjedi said:

What caught my interest is that they were able to depart from Kerbin!   If it can overcome Eve's gravity...  the only need is to climb back into orbit; not traverse the planets.  I don't see time warp as an issue. 

That really seems cheaty to me.

Besides, didn't you say it had to have been designed and built by the player?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, Jeb, The Lonely Kerbonaut said:

First: Why you marked me? 

Second: You did not answer my question. Can i attach the ornament in Minmus orbit or not?

I'm not XLjedi, but I can answer your (second) question with a yes.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can somebody post some coordinates on Eve where I can teleport Kris to?  Preferably flat, near the equator (if possible) and as high as possible.

I am working on the last part of the challenge, I'd like to be able to do it as a rescue.

Thanks

It's not on the equator but I'm trying to land on the Olympus biome (6,800m +).  There is a fairly flat spot on top but I'm finding precision landing on Eve to be quite difficult.

Lat: 28 01 50 S
Long: 147 59 08 W

2 hours ago, Jeb, The Lonely Kerbonaut said:

First: Why you marked me? 

Second: You did not answer my question. Can i attach the ornament in Minmus orbit or not?

First: accident   (cuz you quoted the OP and I didn't notice it was your quote that I was looking at as opposed to the OP)

Second: the rules say...

• "While in orbit (somewhere) deliver and attach the ornament" 

A gift to Jeb: The SkyLark 1 SITS (Suborbital Intercontinental Transport System)! He'll love it because it is a very fast plane that can fly in space and can slow down very quickly and fly a fun high-g ride!

https://imgur.com/a/ajGuy 

https://kerbalx.com/BottleRocketeer500/SkyLark-1

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

19 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

A gift to Jeb: The SkyLark 1 SITS (Suborbital Intercontinental Transport System)! He'll love it because it is a very fast plane that can fly in space and can slow down very quickly and fly a fun high-g ride!

https://imgur.com/a/ajGuy 

https://kerbalx.com/BottleRocketeer500/SkyLark-1

Imgur albums don't work, so it would be nice if you have a single image linked in directly

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.