NASA and Google to make major exoplanet related announcement today!

insert_name

4 minutes ago, Gyrfalcon5 said:

Called it! @NSEP is confirmed Google AI prediction software.

I got a captcha fastpass from google. So thats one of the biggest questions one might ask answered.

Edited by NSEP

Very exciting news. The bottleneck for Kepler is supposedly the bandwidth and sharing of the Deep Space Network, so they've had to ignore a lot of data that it collected. Imagine this kind of neural net running directly on the next satellite, looking at the raw data set.

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: I had known about Kepler-90i since September, because shutcheon on Exoplanet Explorers first found it. I helped with further analysis of the system. Based on both of our analyses, there could be yet another close-in transiting planet. Plus, transit-timing variations of Kepler-90h indicate that there might be a large planet further out. 

Thread on Exoplanet Explorers about the analysis of Kepler-90 and the planet Kepler-90i here: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/ianc2/exoplanet-explorers/talk/821/436032

Edited by ProtoJeb21

17 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

... Imagine this kind of neural net running directly on the next satellite, looking at the raw data set.

17 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

DISCLAIMER: I had known about Kepler-90i since September, because shutcheon on Exoplanet Explorers first found it. ...

Hmm... Should a duel be held ?

250?cb=20130104145845

9 hours ago, YNM said:

Hmm... Should a duel be held ?

250?cb=20130104145845

No, I’m hoping to possibly contact the discovery team about this. Note the possibly. Either way, I want to let them know about shutcheon’s findings, and I want to know exactly when they found Kepler-90i. If the discovery team found it before September 16th, they are the official discoverers. If they found it after September 16th, shutcheon is the discoverer. 

56 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

If the discovery team found it before September 16th, they are the official discoverers. If they found it after September 16th, shutcheon is the discoverer.

Go team human ! Although I'm mostly impartial.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.