Cheating Rules

Corona688

I don't have any formalized rules, but I do try to follow some general guidelines when I can.  First, using hyperedit or cheat mode to run simulated tests is perfectly alright.  I just make sure I revert back after the test is over.  And I try to never use any of those cheats when I'm executing the mission for real.  I also consider using F5/F9 perfectly acceptable to undo silly things like accidentally hitting the staging key, or timewarping past a maneuver.  In real life there would be safeguards in place to prevent those types of thing from happening, while this is just a game.  I just don't take it seriously enough to play a no reverts.  However, if I mess something up because of a bad design or poor planning, then that's just tough luck.  Reverting because of piloting errors is more of a gray area.  I don't like to do it because I do consider that cheating, but I've done it on quite a few occasions.

1. shifting KSC-deployed craft to the inland Space Center is permitted in my Orbit (production) world
  2. shifting into Luna orbit is permissible for testing but only in my Lab world
  3. any time I legitimately fill tanks with mined/refined fuel, it is permitted to magically top off xenon tanks.

Don't know why, but I don't like HyperEdit and don't use it.  I'm now automating the .sfs edit for the redeployment so that it is almost instant.

My automation is also intended to refuel all craft parked on the tarmac of designated "hub" airports in the very near future.

Not cheating but I had better list them:

4. I make liberal use of quicksave reloads because a) I'm here to learn as efficiently as possible and b) I hate realism (I get that at my day job!)
5. I use MechJeb because it displays crucial information precisely, e.g. radar altitude and apoapsis on ascent and while maneuvering and long/lat and because I can do better than it anything I use it for because, like an instrument pilot, I routinely do it myself "hands-on" to stay current.  I use it for docking only to get the initial axial alignment and then turn it off because it wastes MP.  Nevertheless, I've just recently thought of a better way (yet untested) such that I can avoid it completely.

Ah, yeah, pet peeve opportunity spotted!!

6. TURN ON EMERGENCY BATTERIES when all other charge has been exhausted.  The switch used to work, prior to about 1.2.1.  This is a DUMB way to die but if you intentionally went to the trouble of putting an emergency battery somewhere into the design then you do not deserve to die; not on that day, not in that way!!  :)

The answers to this worthy subject are personal, always interesting to others (cross-pollination*) but I think the Cardinal Rule for Cheating is this:

The Rules must target the destruction of Useless Tedium; but never Challenge nor Skill.

* Alt-F12??  Hooray and thanks!!  I learned something!

Edited by Hotel26

If I plan to revert to an earlier save then anything goes with regards to using the cheat menu. As for non-reverted cheats, the only one I consistently employ is to place a piece of debris into an equatorial orbit around a moon/planet in order to give me a reference for my other vessels. I do this after sending my initial polar orbit satellite (with scanners, science experiments and a relay) so that it doesn't generate a "World's First" accomplishment.

My rule of cheating is use it only for fixing some blatant stupidity that could easily be avoided and resulted in a heavy loss. For example, if I lose a science ship laden with precious science points to a miscalculated reentry and there are no saved games, I can cheat myself some science points equal to those carried by the lost ship, instead of replaying the entire mission from scratch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.