What's with Imgur?

Matuchkin

What problems?  I see people using it every day in the massive old 'what did you do today' thread.

If you mean 'why is imgur the only host which still works', imgur was actually created just for hosting images.  Most other sites aren't actually image hosters, and see image hotlinking as parasitism.

Moving to Kerbal Network, since this is about the forum and not KSP itself.

As others have pointed out, 1. imgur works just fine, and 2. so does everywhere else.

There's nothing special about imgur.  It just happens to be the overwhelmingly most common hosting site here, due to convenience, popularity, etc. But you can use any site you like, as long as the images are publicly linkable.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Hellooo? Anyone know if this will ever get fixed or is this part of the slow death of this website? :o

Probably, and sadly, the latter. Hope to get proven otherwise.

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Probably, and sadly, the latter. Hope to get proven otherwise.

Agreed....

Imgur album embedding was one of the nice features. Now its just easier to link the album.

Its possible to get almost the same results sans scrolling feature. When you hold [Ctrl] when clicking on the image with RMB, there is an "Edit" submenu.
Within that submenu, its possible to resize the image precisely and also make it clickable. If you link it this way to the album, you can show several images with hotlinking to album on imgur.
This ^^^ method is very unlikely to break :)

ThisIsJustATest

6 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Its possible to get almost the same results sans scrolling feature. When you hold [Ctrl] when clicking on the image with RMB, there is an "Edit" submenu.
Within that submenu, its possible to resize the image precisely and also make it clickable. If you link it this way to the album, you can show several images with hotlinking to album on imgur.

Like that?

i mean, yeah, I could. But you still have to go to an external page in the end anyways. So why not just stick a link somewhere?

16 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Hellooo? Anyone know if this will ever get fixed or is this part of the slow death of this website? :o

No one is currently working on this. Our current moderating team does not have expertise in whatever issue is causing the problem, and to be honest, it's not a terribly productive use of our time since Imgur just keeps breaking our fixes and work-arounds anyway.

Sorry. :( 

On 03/06/2018 at 5:58 AM, Vanamonde said:

No one is currently working on this. Our current moderating team does not have expertise in whatever issue is causing the problem, and to be honest, it's not a terribly productive use of our time since Imgur just keeps breaking our fixes and work-arounds anyway.

Sorry. :( 

Ouch, that's a real shame. Does anyone know any other way to display image albums here? Perhaps using another site?

Apparently, @Majorjim!, it is an IMGUR issue. The album I just tried to share was my DC-10 album... and it didn't work.
https://imgur.com/a/4h26d
Album a/4h26d will appear when post is submitted
-----
Ok, Edit update: I can post the links to the album directly, but it does not do the automatic embed.
I tried using the button to link the image, but apparently there is an issue with the scripting for the button because it links to an image, not an album. And the image address is the same as the album address with the exception of the directory identifier /a/albumnumber.
I am trying a third way...
yVBpGUJ.png?1
Edit 2:
No, using an image to link to the album doesn't work either...
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/4h26d"><a href="//imgur.com/4h26d">KSP DC-10</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by adsii1970

10 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

No, using an image to link to the album doesn't work either...

I can click the image to the album. Not sure if thats what you meant?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Thank you for that information.  That "Insert other media" => from URL => imgur_url.png => ctrl+RMB => Edit => link URL = imgur/a/album path is probably the closest thing we have to a working album embed these days.  Not quite as nice as what we had, and tricky in that you need to add the image file extension, but at least you can pick a link image to serve as the thumbnail of sorts for the album link, plus nicely control its display size and/or shove it in a spoiler.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed a complete change to the style of the Imgur gallery embeds used in my weekly ops posts on the KSA website, so they recently updated something. I don't have time right now to test anything here so just giving a heads up to anyone that wants to fiddle with imgur embeds and see if they work now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.