Effects of temperature on human cognition

Souper

What would happen to my cognition (thinking speed, range of comprehension, mental focus, mood, bodily regulation) if i was at normal room temperature? How about hot, or cold?

Currently i have a heater on in the small room i have in my house and it's quite hot, my theory is that the heat makes the chemical reactions in my body run faster, thus my brain goes faster and also makes more neurons faster. but now i'm being told that being in the cold improves focus...

The range of temperatures that your body will actually work at is likely to have a negligible affect to enzyme catalysed reaction rates. I don't know enough neurobiology to give a sensible opinion on whether increasing reaction rates in the brain will actually speed up thought but I doubt it's that straightforward.

Well, a person with fever or externally induced heating (hard work in the sun drinking not enough) has difficulties thinking clear, that is sure.

@linuxgurugamer ha the point i think. The margin for body core temp. (and thus brain as well) where people can be brought back to life is rather small: 20°C to 42°C.

Edited by Green Baron

On 15/12/2017 at 5:19 PM, Green Baron said:

Well, a person with fever or externally induced heating (hard work in the sun drinking not enough) has difficulties thinking clear, that is sure.

Fever != being in a heatwave.

If anything, having both feels slightly better, but it'll kill you soon.

On 15/12/2017 at 9:46 AM, KSK said:

The range of temperatures that your body will actually work at is likely to have a negligible affect to enzyme catalysed reaction rates. I don't know enough neurobiology to give a sensible opinion on whether increasing reaction rates in the brain will actually speed up thought but I doubt it's that straightforward.

Not quite true. Some enzymes are heat resistance, most are extremely temperature specific. They'll still work, but their reaction rate will vary wildly when outside the intended temperature range. Also, reaction rates must sync up so that processes take the appropriate time to complete. 

On 15.12.2017 at 10:46 AM, KSK said:

This, if you are both hard physical work and have to think fast and clear you would prefer an colder temperature, this is an major factor in sport and warfare. On an workplace you would want to cool down and relax before checking that all is correct as you can afford to and an mistake will cost lots of time. 
if you are just studying. you want an warmer temperature. here some air circulation helps a lot. 
Changing the internal temperature would not be an good idea. Yes over-volting humans as in having us run at 40 degree would help with performance but would be an major redesign as in species level. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.