I Wonder when KSP Gonna Have Graphics Like That

Tosh

Of course I can't speak for Squad and this is just my personal opinion but I don't think KSP will ever have graphics like that. I think they are going for a much more surrealist and cartoon-like aesthetic for the game, which I prefer. I would imagine they'll adjust the lighting engine for different planets in the future though (maybe when they do weather).

Basically, I see the following here:

• Bump-mapped terrain textures (doable).
  • Much dense terrain subdivisions (not likely; even the one currently handled by PQS is a little over the edge...).
  • Some replacement for atmospheric shader to work in conjunction with terrain one to emulate fog (given that current, quite simple implementation, already lags like crazy -- unlikely again :(. And I doubt Unity fog system is of much use here).
  • Modifying terrain textures at real time to add vessel/astronaut tracks and engine burn marks (technically it's possible... but a helluva lot of job).
  • Realtime terrain shadows with almost infinite drawing distance (derp, I just dunno :rolleyes:... Unity has no direct support for doing this, but maybe someday, with some kind of smart@$$ shader...)
  • ???

So, well, "realistic physical interactions, outstanding graphics, highest FPS possible, and no saves at all... the game name's Life" :)

Edited by Tosh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.