Storing science for return to Kerbin?

I did a search for "storing science" and looked through some of the hundreds of posts without finding exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure it's there...somewhere. So, without asking for a complete explanation here, can someone point me to information to help with the following: I want to create a science lander and orbiter for science collection on the Mun and Minmus (A la "Apollo" style, 2 part ship). I want to land several times and return to the orbiter and store the collected science on it after each landing. I then want to return the orbiter to Kerbin and recover it...with all that science. I don't want to transmit the science because of the lower science "return" when doing so. I have KAS and KIS. Can you point me to some posts that deal with this?

It's been awhile since I've dealt with this issue, so I'm really not certain what's possible in the latest KSP version.  You can always put an "experiment storage unit" on the returning vessel.  This unit can collect all science from all vessels and store it.  You then just have to bring the storage unit back to Kerbin.  A kerbal can also transfer science from one pod to another, but I think he has to move from one to the other via EVA.  When he exits one pod, just tell him to take the science from that pod.  The science will then move with him and will be added to the next pod that he boards.  I don't think it's possible to have a kerbal move science simply by using the transfer feature.

Edited by OhioBob

Experiment storage units, much like manned command pods, can each hold 1 set of non-redundant* science results for recovery. Between those and scientists' ability to refresh goo pods and materials bays, you can end up with a pretty fair operation farming science from some body and sending back probes with experiment storage units.

*Non-redundant as in "cannot store 2 goo pod results from the exact same biome", though "2 goo pod results from different biomes" still works.

5 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

It's been awhile since I've dealt with this issue, so I'm really not certain what's possible in the latest KSP version.  You can always put an "equipment storage unit" on the returning vessel.  This unit can collect all science from all vessels and store it.  You then just have to bring the storage unit back to Kerbin.  A kerbal can also transfer science from one vessel to another, but I think he has to move from one to the other via EVA.  When he exits one vessel, just tell him to take the science from that vessel.  The science will then move with him and will be added to the next vessel that he boards.  I don't think it's possible to have a kerbal move science simply by using the transfer feature.

So a "storage unit" of any type will hold science? I've looked at the various storage containers available to me but I don't see how much science these units will hold. I'm guessing it's not "unlimited" so I need to know that I have enough storage capacity before I launch.

10 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

So a "storage unit" of any type will hold science? I've looked at the various storage containers available to me but I don't see how much science these units will hold. I'm guessing it's not "unlimited" so I need to know that I have enough storage capacity before I launch.

There is a specific part just for storing science... https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experiment_Storage_Unit

I don't know if it has a limit on how much science it can hold.  If so, I've never reached it.  It is limited, however, in that it cannot hold multiples of the same experiment.

(Sorry, it's experiment storage unit.  I mistakenly wrote equipment storage unit in my previous post.)

Edited by OhioBob

It can definitely be 300+, I've had that many.  I don't think there's a limit.  As noted above, each science container (the Experiment Storage Unit, all crewed parts, some of the probe cores) can only hold one each of unique science reports, and you transfer them around by getting near them on EVA and right clicking.  However the kerbals can hold multiple copies of each while on EVA, also without limit (I think).  A kerbal on a command chair makes a great science container too.

Here's an example of a science hopper craft I've used - it has a lander can (can hold one of each science experiment) and two experiment storage units. In stock, you need to bring home three copies of the same Science Jr, goo pod, and surface sample to get the full science value (though the third one is honestly marginal) - thus space to store three copies.  Or, use the second and third copies to feed an orbital science laboratory.

ATvtI9U.jpg

Docking port on the bottom, full RCS suite, solar, full experiment suite, 3200m/s of dV.

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/Dragonfly-Micro-Lander

Edited by fourfa

12 hours ago, fourfa said:

each science container (the Experiment Storage Unit, all crewed parts, some of the probe cores

Worth emphasis: some probe cores, like the generally awesome small Remote Guidance Unit, can collect and store science results themselves, which pretty much makes the Experiment Storage Container redundant unless you need heat resistance or something like that. 

Semi-related hot tip: no matter which container you use, in the VAB/SPH, use the action menu to assign "collect all science" to a hotkey.  It's the best.  Especially when you also set all of your experiments to run on a different hotkey.  

Edited by Aegolius13

8 hours ago, OhioBob said:

There is a specific part just for storing science... https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experiment_Storage_Unit

I don't know if it has a limit on how much science it can hold.  If so, I've never reached it.  It is limited, however, in that it cannot hold multiples of the same experiment.

(Sorry, it's experiment storage unit.  I mistakenly wrote equipment storage unit in my previous post.)

I am 99% positive it is unlimited, but it can't hold two of the same experiment from the same biome. Getting a biome readout is very useful. 

On 12/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, Victor3 said:

So, without asking for a complete explanation here, can someone point me to information to help with the following

• Every part in KSP that is capable of storing science (other than the science instruments themselves), can store an unlimited amount of science experiments.
  • This includes the following parts:
  • Except for the large crewed lab, everything else can only store one copy of any one science result.  But that's generally okay, because you really only need one, if you're bringing it back.
  • The crewable parts need a kerbal in order to put science in them.
  • The Experimental Storage Unit, and the 1.25m and 2.5m probe cores, don't need a kerbal.  They have an action item (a button on their menu) that you can push which sucks all science out of all other parts on the vessel and stores it there.  Really handy and convenient (especially when you put that function in an action group.)

So you're good.  If you're sending a crewed mission, you can just store all your science wherever the crew lives.  If it's an uncrewed mission, then you'll either need the Experimental Storage Unit or else one of the big probe cores.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.