Recommended Posts

Hey everyone this thread is dedicated to the Ironmongers of Kerbal Space Program.   Submarines, tanks, strike aircraft, gunships, artillery, real life recreations, fantasy replics or something of your own making.  If it can make the KSC go boom post it here!

I'll post first.

https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Manticore-Rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a crazy friggin rocket. If only there was another thread specifically made for military creations...

EDIT: And while the second sentence may be sarcastic, I'm not kidding about the crazy part. You can totally make an ICBM series out of that.

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay... Looking at your KerbalX page, I'm seeing armoured beasts with self-loading mechanisms, interiors, and loads of beauty. First of all, I'm following you. Secondly, you should totally make a repository of your craft here. I'm sure the people will love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Space Marine Vindicator is a variant of the Rhino, outfitted and uparmored to engage in urban and close range combat.  Its main features are its thickly armored siege shield (capable of ramming the R&D buildings and destroying them) and a demolisher cannon; which fires a custom artillery shell that can level the VAB in a single shot.

https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Warhammer-40k-Space-Marine-Vindicator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GillyMonster said:

Appreciate the enthusiasm, what do you mean by repository?  Just spam all my stuff on this post or something else?

Sure. Have you seen the other repositories? Usually, it's just a thread with a collection of your creations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craft File: https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/KSPWarhammer-Leman-Russ-Tank-Vanquisher-Pattern

This is another WH40k replica, the Leman Russ.  It can destroy most buildings using its 210mm cannon (a stand in for the vanquisher cannon).  Fully crewed with a driver, commander, loader and gunner, it also has full interior components including a working engine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's your loading mechanisms: they intrigue the hell out of me.

You should totally try to develop a rapid-fire tank, that can fire on the move. Think about it: instead of making the loading mechanism a simple "door opens, shell inserted, door closed" mechanism, make it more like this:

- door slides back (like on your bombard siege artillery)

- there is a plate under the door, preventing the shell from falling or sliding off the rail when dropped onto it

- bullet is dropped onto rail, straightened instantly on the rail

- door closes, bullet fires

Perhaps this technique can decrease your reload time to something manageable, like 5 or 6 seconds.

You can also put a bullet ejection mechanism into the mix. No springs needed, just a single extra piece of static girder/panel.

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2017 at 7:47 AM, Matuchkin said:

It's your loading mechanisms: they intrigue the hell out of me.

You should totally try to develop a rapid-fire tank, that can fire on the move. Think about it: instead of making the loading mechanism a simple "door opens, shell inserted, door closed" mechanism, make it more like this:

- door slides back (like on your bombard siege artillery)

- there is a plate under the door, preventing the shell from falling or sliding off the rail when dropped onto it

- bullet is dropped onto rail, straightened instantly on the rail

- door closes, bullet fires

Perhaps this technique can decrease your reload time to something manageable, like 5 or 6 seconds.

You can also put a bullet ejection mechanism into the mix. No springs needed, just a single extra piece of static girder/panel.

Sorry for the late reply, I was considering something like that.  The problem I run into are the shells bouncing around while on the move and not lining up like they should (especially a problem when the diameter of the shell is smaller than the docking port).  I've though of something akin to a revolver though...

Here's some stuff I've been working on for a couple weeks.  Craft Files are down below.

Manticore Launcher:https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Warh... Deathstrike Launcher @1:22 : https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Warh... Manticore Rocket: https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Mant... Deathstrike Missile: https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Warh...

Edited by GillyMonster
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking, what can you do with the manticore other than launching it at ground targets? Can you make a cruise missile out of it? An air-to-air missile? A cluster bomb? A guided bomb? Anything else?

EDIT: Or better yet, is it possible to give it the guidance characteristics of an actual ICBM and send it between continents? How about an enlarged version?

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I'm thinking, what can you do with the manticore other than launching it at ground targets? Can you make a cruise missile out of it? An air-to-air missile? A cluster bomb? A guided bomb? Anything else?

EDIT: Or better yet, is it possible to give it the guidance characteristics of an actual ICBM and send it between continents? How about an enlarged version?

Honestly I have no idea.  I developed it as an artillery rocket, or unguided aerial rocket (yet to be tested) just to see if customized missile weapons were feasible.  I put together a deathstrike nuke, but that only goes about 30km, designed to be launched from small/medium ground vehicles.  Air to air missile could be done I think, but the warhead has no detonation distance override since its disconnected on launch.  It would have to impact unless modular missile guidance in BDarmory can detonate based on proximity.  A GPS guided cruise missile could be doable since jet engines are powerful enough and fuel efficient enough to go a couple hundred kilometers based on the throttle settings at launch.  The ICBM would be the hardest.  It would need to be powerful, fuel efficient and fast enough to break atmosphere, come back down and hit its target.  And it can't be multistage.  Modular missile guidance doesn't have options to control staging as far as I'm aware, and it can't adjust the throttle to get the required efficiency.  Mechjeb might work for that though but I think some human input is still required after launch.  Do you have any experience with mechjeb?

2 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I'm thinking, what can you do with the manticore other than launching it at ground targets? Can you make a cruise missile out of it? An air-to-air missile? A cluster bomb? A guided bomb? Anything else?

EDIT: Or better yet, is it possible to give it the guidance characteristics of an actual ICBM and send it between continents? How about an enlarged version?

Oh and I did build a cluster missile based on the Jericho missile from Iron Man

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

 The ICBM would be the hardest.  It would need to be powerful, fuel efficient and fast enough to break atmosphere, come back down and hit its target.  And it can't be multistage.

Hmm. Try to approach it like a firework and add more of these structural tubes to lengthen the launch vehicle itself. For the record, it doesn't have to be multistaged, look at the more modern ICBMs. However, I think it will be cooler if you can make a Scud-type missile and keep it with one stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Hmm. Try to approach it like a firework and add more of these structural tubes to lengthen the launch vehicle itself. For the record, it doesn't have to be multistaged, look at the more modern ICBMs. However, I think it will be cooler if you can make a Scud-type missile and keep it with one stage.

That's pretty much what I did with the Jebicho.  I'll give the ICBM a swing though.  What's the worst that can happen, crash and go boom?  To quote Toni from Family Guy "Oh noooo..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

Hmm. Try to approach it like a firework and add more of these structural tubes to lengthen the launch vehicle itself. For the record, it doesn't have to be multistaged, look at the more modern ICBMs. However, I think it will be cooler if you can make a Scud-type missile and keep it with one stage.

I built a kruise missile 2.8 tons 7 meters long...manual flying between 18000 and 19000 meters, average 800-850 m/s (mach 2.4) for 38 minutes...covered 2600km how is that for long range?  And BDarmour Mod Missile Control is a no go...it only launches at coordinates within 5km

Edited by GillyMonster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I'm thinking, what can you do with the manticore other than launching it at ground targets? Can you make a cruise missile out of it? An air-to-air missile? A cluster bomb? A guided bomb? Anything else?

EDIT: Or better yet, is it possible to give it the guidance characteristics of an actual ICBM and send it between continents? How about an enlarged version?

From me to you: https://kerbalx.com/GillyMonster/Kerbahawk-Cruise-Missile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, that is a great looking cruise missile, and an especially great show of modular-ness in part of your manticore platform. Job well done.

And judging by the stats you gave me on the original manticore, I did not expect you to squeeze 2600 kilometers out of it. Again, well done.

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Honestly, that is a great looking cruise missile, and an especially great show of modular-ness in part of your manticore platform. Job well done.

And judging by the stats you gave me on the original manticore, I did not expect you to squeeze 2600 kilometers out of it. Again, well done.

Its not a low altitude missile by any means.  If it flew low like real ones it would only manage maybe about 600km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GillyMonster said:

Its not a low altitude missile by any means.  If it flew low like real ones it would only manage maybe about 600km.

So it lobs itself? What is its TWR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matuchkin said:

So it lobs itself? What is its TWR?

No.  I mean it cruises between 18000-19000 meters altitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matuchkin I need you to do some quality control testing if you get the chance, I was making a video for the cruise missile, and when I was testing its ability to launch from a radial decoupler, the SAS was acting up: it would glitch and adjust every few seconds even though it was flying just fine.  Tried leaving the warhead attached, no difference, warhead detached, and the SAS still acted up. 

Initial testing didn't have that issue, I'm thinking its just a temporary glitch in KSP

Edited by GillyMonster
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

@Matuchkin I need you to do some quality control testing if you get the chance, I was making a video for the cruise missile, and when I was testing its ability to launch from a radial decoupler, the SAS was acting up: it would glitch and adjust every few seconds even though it was flying just fine.  Tried leaving the warhead attached, no difference, warhead detached, and the SAS still acted up. 

Initial testing didn't have that issue, I'm thinking its just a temporary glitch in KSP

Is there a way to detach the warhead manually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2017 at 12:44 AM, GillyMonster said:

Hey everyone this thread is dedicated to the Ironmongers of Kerbal Space Program.   Submarines, tanks, strike aircraft, gunships, artillery, real life recreations, fantasy replics or something of your own making.  If it can make the KSC go boom post it here!

So, any war machines are allowed?

How bout these:

FFldlp.pngJ5wjC4.pngfUDsTb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Earthlinger Give us moar!:cool:

Do these ships have any capabilities other than weaponry? Like troop transport, logistics, deployment of other smaller vessels/subs?

Edited by Matuchkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

Do these ships have any capabilities other than weaponry? Like troop transport, logistics, deployment of other smaller vessels/subs?

They have some space inside, underneath the main superstructure, where you could theoretically put kerbals:

Spoiler

qBpeNs.pngR8b2jW.pngMDIMBK.png

Not very comfortable though :P They're all drone ships. Here's the biggest I've made:

https://kerbalx.com/Earthlinger/AXON-Battle-Cruiser

Also, if you want to see them in action, feel free to browse through this:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.