[1.7.x] electricpants's "Eh" System Rearrangement (V. 1.1)

electricpants

The only system rearrangement that makes you think "Eh, this is pretty ok I guess"!

(pics for clicks!): imgur album

NOTE: all pictures right now were taken in v. 1.0, not in v.1.1.

Sa0oMM5.png

Reviving this mod, now the only mod that thought the Mun was so uninteresting that it put a ring around it--and a moon, too!

This system rearrangement keeps all planets and moons from the stock game, but completely revamps it to create an entirely different, yet almost stock-ish game experience!

Do note that all solar system bodies, while their sizes, masses, gravities, having or not having rings, and orbital positions may change, they still look exactly the same as in the stock game. I'm not that good at Kopernicus, y'know. :P 

...Anyways, with the help of that Imgur album at the top of this page I'd like to take you on a little tour of the new solar system:

Spoiler

0) The Sun

"The Sun is one of the most well-known stars of the daytime sky. It is a near-F-type star--sometimes classified as G0, other times as F9--and as such is quite massive compared to most other stars in the universe. The Sun hosts quite a few planets, one of which being Kerbin, and the star is known to be in a binary system with the nearby early-G-type star Valentina's Star, which has three planets of it's own."

1) Pol

"Pol is the closest large body to the Sun, being the solar system's one and only so-called 'dwarf planet'--however, there are some kerbals who think that 'poor Pol' should be a planet as well, but they're generally ignored by the scientific community. Pol is an irradiated, extremely hot, and rather multicolored dwarf planet, and would make an interesting landing place. Be sure to bring lots of radiators when arriving!"

2) Moho

"Moho is the first real planet orbiting the Sun, and is the second-smallest and second-least massive of the five. Instead of being actually interesting, what with hundreds of volcanoes and much flowing lava, as the ancients promised, Moho is instead just a hot lump of brown, cratered rock that looks like someone after a bout of destructive akne more than anything. A few kerbals have thought of ways to make Moho more awesome, like it should have been, but this has instead only resulted in many aerospace breakthroughs."

3) Duna

"Duna is a lukewarm and very, very red world. It's average temperature near the equator is only a little below the freezing point of water, which makes the planet a rather intriguing destination for bases--besides Laythe, of course. It also has a rather thin atmosphere, making aerobraking and/or aerocapture very hard, and also makes just flying a plane in general quite a bit harder than on Kerbin."

3.1) Dres

"Dres is a rather boring-looking place other than a few craggy canyons, and is the only moon of Duna. Similarly to Mun's moon Gilly, Dres orbits rather closely to Duna and is pretty small. Conversely, unlike Gilly, Dres's orbit is much more eccentric, meaning there is not many stable orbits in low- or even mid-duna orbit."

4) Kerbin

"Kerbin is the third planet out from the Sun, and is one of the largest rocky planets in our solar system. It is probably the most unique world in the entire solar system, with wide, soaring grasslands, vast ice caps, large deserts, polar tundras, and scattered islands--it's also unique for being the only confirmed world with life, though life elsewhere has been suggested. It is the homeworld of the kerbals, strange, wacky green tic-tac-like creatures who seem to have a fascination with space."

4.1) Ike

"Ike is the only moon of Kerbin, and it's surface is a light grey with several large, very dark patches. Despite it's relatively large size, however, Ike is rather lumpy. It is also known that Ike has (or at least had) a strange, tiny, tiny asteroid orbiting in a polar orbit. This moon-of-a-moon was eventually discovered after decades of rumors, but it strangely disappeared years ago. Nobody knows where this so-called "Magic Boulder" went, or exactly what it really was."

5) Tylo

"Tylo is a pretty big planet, though for some reason it doesn't have an atmosphere, making it very hard to land on. In fact, because it's so hard to land on Tylo, there are some kerbal scientists who think that landing on Tylo is actually impossible, let alone returning (though returning would be easier than landing because there isn't an atmosphere). However, even if you understandably don't want to visit the planet itself, Tylo still provides plenty of other moons to land on instead."

5.1) Minmus

"Minmus is a pretty strange, minty little moon orbiting closest to Tylo. Not only is it, well, minty in color, but it also has strange turquoise 'flats', which are as of yet unexplained. One thing about Minmus that is explained, however, is that it's retrograde orbit around Tylo is maintained by the gravitational influence of the nearby large moon of Tylo: Vall."

5.2) Vall

"Vall is another icy moon, however, unlike Eeloo it is also coated in a thin layer of blueish regolith, making Vall look, well, blue. It's Tylo's largest moon and one of the largest in our solar system, and it orbits rather closely to Minmus, and as such is the strongest influence on Minmus's orbit."

6) Mun

"Mun is the last and the smallest planet in our solar system, being even smaller than Moho. It is a rather drab grey color, and is very pockmarked, having been hit by many different asteroids and comets in the past. However, there is one thing that sets Mun apart from the rest of the solar system, and it's the thing that makes Mun a great place for sight-seeing--it's beautiful icy rings. Because of this, despite the bland surface color, many people think it looks pretty--Mun has even won the award "Most Beautiful Celestial Body in the Solar System" a decade in a row!"

6.1) Gilly

"Gilly is Mun's largest known moon but is actually very, very small. It also orbits rather closely to Mun's surface, and so could make a good place for refueling before landing on Mun or leaving it's SOI. Gilly is also a great place for sight-seeing, as it orbits within the largest gap in Mun's beautiful ring system."

7) Valentina's Star

"Valentina's Star is a rather small G-type star, a tad less massive than our near-F-type sun. Because of it's large stature, Valentina's Star was known about for centuries. However, until a few years ago, it was not known to orbit the Sun--Valentina Kerman was bored one day and decided to resolve this issue. She looked back over centuries of documents about this star, and over a few months managed to finally figure out that the star was in fact in a binary orbit around the Sun, and the star was promptly named after her."

8) Eve's Planet

"Eve's Planet is the first and the second largest of Valentina's Star's planets. It is rather hot, due to it's thick atmosphere and closeness to Valentina's Star, and irradiated, also due to how close it is to the star. However, it is not too much hotter than the boiling point of water, which means the liquid on Eve's Planet's surface could very plausibly be water mixed with something else to raise the boiling point. It has also been suggested that the purple stuff coating Eve's entire surface could be some kind of purple plants or algae, evolved to live in hot, bright, irradiated environments."

9) Laythe's Planet

"Laythe's Planet is the next planet of Valentina's Star out from Eve's Planet, and is probably the most similar world to Kerbin--with it's vast blue oceans and lakes, large polar ice caps, and small sandy islands it's really a surprise that no life has been seen or even detected on Laythe's Planet yet. Although Laythe's Planet is a bit colder than Kerbin is, it would still make a very good place for a new home for kerbals."

10) Jool's Planet

"Jool's Planet is by far the greenest, largest, and most massive planet orbiting Valentina's Star, and even in our entire solar system. It may have some form of green-colored life floating in it's atmosphere, giving it that characteristic beautiful green color. Jool's Planet, unlike the other planets orbiting Valentina's Star, has two moons."

10.1) Eeloo's Moon

"Eeloo's Moon is the largest moon orbiting Jool's Planet, and is definitely the iciest world in our solar system. It is thought that Eeloo's Moon once could have been more similar to Laythe's Planet and Kerbin, but billions of years ago became too cold for surface water to continue existing. However, it is theorized by many kerbal scientists that Eeloo's Moon could have some kind of subsurface ocean, which could even harbor life like Kerbin's! Only time will tell if this is all true, however..."

10.1) Bop's Moon

"Bop's Moon is just kinda... there, really. It's a really big and lumpy asteroid which orbits around Jool's Planet, unlike any other body in the Valentina's Star system besides Eeloo's Moon. This makes Bop's Moon a rather unique place in this solar system, and as such can offer great views of Jool's Planet, Eeloo's Moon, and Valentina's Star"

NOTE: Due to the distance between Valentina's Star and the Sun there may initially be some floating-point (?) glitches on the planets/moons orbiting it. I'd recommend to complete at least one orbit around the planet/moon you'll be landing on.

You can download the mod from here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1616/electricpants's "Eh" System Rearragements

Changelog:

Spoiler

v. 1.1) Changed planetary orbits slightly, notably Duna, Dres, and Ike; Added new star 'Valentina's Star'; Scrapped Jool system + put former v. 1.0 Jool system in orbit around Valentina's Star

v. 1.0) Literally completely overhauled from v. 0.1

Edited by electricpants
added changelog

• 8 months later...

@electricpants I know you've neglected this thread yourself so I shouldn't comment but I'm browsing all the addon release pages willing to comment wherever I can help.

The only information your giving us is that you made a system rearrangement.

This tells potential users like myself next to nothing.

You made a system rearrangement of which bodies exactly?

Even the Spacedock page is nearly completely vague about it. I do see a drawing of planets on the spacedock page so I guess you rearranged the solar system? The only thiong specific is rings around Kerbin. Is this a solar system makeover, something like Snarkiverse? Maybe you could tell us how you rearranged things so I can tell if I would want to play using this mod.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:36 PM, electricpants said:

The only rearrangements that make you think "Eh, these are pretty ok I guess"!

Seriously, how can I tell? :huh:I'm not psychic.

Edited by Aeroboi

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 3:22 AM, Aeroboi said:

@electricpants I know you've neglected this thread yourself

yeah i know i keep doing that

anyways it's not really a complete makeover - the planets look the same still.

basically i just changed the sizes of some of the planets and moons and moved them around, i guess i'll edit the op to explain further, though i'll have to go by memory for now since i'm not sure if the laptop i'm on right now can run ksp

• 6 months later...

entirely revamped the mod and original post, and again, the download link will come asap. hope everyone likes the new look, especially since you can actually tell what everything looks like and where everything is.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of a nitpick: Laythe is not habitable. If you look in the files for EVA reports, it shows that the air is not breathable (enough oxygen for jets but too much CO2 for Kerbals. So... no surprise that Laythe has no life.

Some nice beaches tho!

22 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

@electricpants BTW I really like this mod, but could you put some more planets around Val's star to balance it out? Maybe some new ones?

well again, i'm not super amazing at kopernicus yet, so new planets might not come for a few updates unfortunately. :/ 

no worries, however, that is the plan for the future ;). in fact, the next update will add a new body in orbit around Valentina's Star that you might hopefully enjoy, it just won't be a full-on planet.

2 hours ago, electricpants said:

well again, i'm not super amazing at kopernicus yet, so new planets might not come for a few updates unfortunately. :/ 

no worries, however, that is the plan for the future ;). in fact, the next update will add a new body in orbit around Valentina's Star that you might hopefully enjoy, it just won't be a full-on planet.

Cool! I'm happy that you're not neglecting Val's star, looking forward to this moon/asteroid/terraformed derelict ship (maybe in like 1.13 or something to that last)!!

BTW I'm just saying, there's a bug with Val's star, it shines on planets in the Kerbol system (btw could you change The Sun's displayName to Kerbol if that's possible? I'd like that), but atmosphere planets (Kerbin, Duna etc.) think it's night, so the sky disappears even though Val's star is illuminating them.

10 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Cool! I'm happy that you're not neglecting Val's star, looking forward to this moon/asteroid/terraformed derelict ship (maybe in like 1.13 or something to that last)!!

BTW I'm just saying, there's a bug with Val's star, it shines on planets in the Kerbol system (btw could you change The Sun's displayName to Kerbol if that's possible? I'd like that), but atmosphere planets (Kerbin, Duna etc.) think it's night, so the sky disappears even though Val's star is illuminating them.

it's not a bug lol, it's just that the two stars are both bright and pretty close to each other, so i thought it'd make sense to just have them both illuminate each other's planets. the atmosphere not appearing when the other star illuminates it isn't something i can fix myself afaik.

and i don't really think i'll change the name of the sun, since i like calling the stock sun that. if you want, though, you can just edit the .cfg file for the sun using notepad or something similar and add in the 'displayName' option under Properties, and set it equal to Kerbol with ^N at the end (so 'displayName = Kerbol^N' is what it should look like, without the quotes, of course).

On 5/21/2019 at 4:19 AM, electricpants said:

and i don't really think i'll change the name of the sun, since i like calling the stock sun that. if you want, though, you can just edit the .cfg file for the sun using notepad or something similar and add in the 'displayName' option under Properties, and set it equal to Kerbol with ^N at the end (so 'displayName = Kerbol^N' is what it should look like, without the quotes, of course).

Ok. thx. I'm still excited for the new body tho!

BTW I just saw the imgur album, it looks gr8

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.