Help troubleshooting hard CTDs.

So while I'm rather experienced in setting up gargantuan modpacks (been doing this way back when only KSP x64 for linux was available) I'm encountering a recurring hard crash in my game which I've not been able to nail on the cause. The crash always happens upon scene change, usually from flight to KSC or tracking station, and seems to happen more often on long flights or with particularly complex vessels. Fortunately it also seems to trigger only after the autosave is made. I've not been able to find anything suspicious on the log file, although predictably its quite large and messy from the amount of mods i'm running.

I'm on windows 7, x64, KSP is also x64, obviously. I have 16GB of physical memory, and my GPU is a GTX 970 4GB.

Attached, screenshot of mods folder, a KSP log that starts just before the scene change, and a crash log from one of the crashes. Usually though KSP doesn't even drop a crash log so I'm not sure if its related to the same crash.

Spoiler

6gatgVq.png?1

Crash log

KSP log

I suspect the issue might be due to excessive memory usage since I have only so much video memory, and unlike my other massive builds that didn't crash so often, I'm using three planet packs composed via galactic neighborhood, so that's a whole lot of extra memory being used. 

Edited by Djohaal

3 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

That is usually memory related, but most definitely not video memory. Your game already uses more than 14GB and any load spike will probably kill it.

I am not up to date on the memory limits for x64 KSP. Is 14GB the current hard limit? or you mentioned the value due to my system physical memory being 16GB.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Windows by itself needs about a gig.

When you change scenes, memory usage will go up and then come back down. Which, given the amount of memory you have, wood get you an out of memory issue.

Yeah I am aware of the OS minimum usage, plus chrome and all the shebang. In my specific case having more physical memory help? I still got some empty slots on this computer. 

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows (& KSP)?

Of course. I assume something else is generating instability, but I'm not sure how to start debugging it. I don't have a single vessel or a procedure that is 100% crash prone so I could divide my mods and go adding stuff slowly.

26 minutes ago, Djohaal said:

Of course. I assume something else is generating instability, but I'm not sure how to start debugging it. I don't have a single vessel or a procedure that is 100% crash prone so I could divide my mods and go adding stuff slowly.

well, that's always a good option.

Sorry I can't help more

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Remove half of them, if it happens again, you know the problem is with ine of the installed mods.  If it doesn't, then it is in one of mods you removed.

Keep removing half and test, it won't take to many tries

I've done that before (in other mod compilations), what I need first is to figure out first is a vessel or a series of procedures that reliably triggers the crash. If I happen to find anything I'll post here for sure. I have a list of "suspect" mods that are mods that add functionalities via library plugins, while purely content based mods that add parts are considered low suspicion so far

Edited by Djohaal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.