Model looks great in unity, but has weird lighting in game.

This is how it looks in unity and usually looks just about as good with no sudden changes with any smoothness angle setting  from 40 to 180:

Spoiler

UPrFB0t.png

This is how it seems to always turn out in ksp however.  In previous iterations, simply setting smoothness angle higher than 150 would do the trick, however that isnt working any more.

Spoiler

G4sdDMo.png

What i've tried:

• Making sure the normals are the right way in Blender
  • Trying smoothing angle settings in unity from 40 to 180
  • Changing shading in Blender

-------

As has happened too many times recently, after tons of time spent troubleshooting the problem and getting a whole lot of 'No results found for site:kerbalspaceprogram.com "',  right after I decided to make a post about it, I found a solution... well only sort of. I still have no idea why the same settings I normally use (calculate normals, default smoothing angle), but using blenders shading  and turning off calculate tangent space did it... I think... maybe...).

Spoiler

scLkLVx.png

Edited by USB4

I really dont know about this unity smoothing, it seems to work well on somethings ( great for hiding little mistakes) and not others softening some edges and completely screwing others/,  you don't want smoothing on the edges of the engine fins, you want them sharp and clean,  and you aint getting that through unity.   That said as you appear to have texture map , it looks more like a uv layout problem than a smoothing one,  with, what looks like parts that have been shadowed on the texture being mapped to those that don't and vice versa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.