Achievements??

Hey, I'm new to posting.

Can't quite find this topic and I don't know if its been discussed yet, but what about adding achievements in steam. Hell all platforms! It's a fun and challenging game but maybe some sort of in game goal to motivate a bit to keep playing. I personally get bored doing the same missions and launches, but would keep going to find hidden things, fly to those far away moons/planets, achieve a certain speed in a plane, Research or discover using your data banks from exploring. Stuff like that.

What do you all think??

A few months ago, I would have agreed.  But there's a few problems with achievements, at least for me.

Main being I really really love this game.  I don't wish to get burned out on it for a good long while. 

I've found that even with games I've obsessed over, such as Halo and Borderlands, it's eventually boiled down to achievement hunting.  Which can be fun, but can be incredibly grinding.  I'd spend hours upon hours of doing something I didn't really enjoy just to get that little popup.

I've got every achievement in all three xbox Borderlands games.  Guess what I don't play anymore?  Once I'd gotten all the achievements, regardless of gameplay, I felt the game was done.  I don't want that to happen to KSP.  I'm unhindered, completely.  Yes, I could ignore an achievement system.  But I also know me.  That would eventually become all that mattered.

Another minor issue is that most achievements I've dealt with are story based.  Since KSP doesn't have one... :wink:

All in all I believe achievements are best kept to the modders.  That way, people who are like you can get an achievement system if they wish, and people like me can ignore it.

If I remember correctly, the devs have said that they will not make Steam achievements a thing. As for in game achievements, I think they're a little pointless because a lot of KSP players mod the game, which can make it significantly easier or harder. There are also the milestone contracts such as first orbit, first mun landing etc that sorted of function as achievements.

50 minutes ago, Ovenproof Rope said:

Awesome guys! These are all pretty good points I didn’t think of. Guess what game I don’t play anymore geo? Lol I guess I’ll just wait for some more content to come out and enjoy the game!

Have you modded at all?  There are thousands available, and even though most don't add anything resembling story or goals, they transform the game.  Stuff like KIS/KAS and SEP give you plenty of EVA stuff to do, among many others.  Dealing with life support also adds plenty more to do, and changes the way you design your craft.

Of course, if you're not into modding, you'll just have to wait.  :wink:  I was initially not into modding when I joined the forum, but I eventually developed a need for angle snap docking, was pointed to Konstruction!, and it just snowballed from there.  I even started tweaking with configs the other day, and I bet you anything I'll eventually make a mod.  There's more to this game than just playing it :wink:

Also, welcome!  Hopefully you'll stick around even though you're not actively playing.

19 hours ago, solarbearman said:

Achievements in KSP can be easily obtained with mods and cheats.. 

18 hours ago, Jas0n said:

I think they're a little pointless because a lot of KSP players mod the game, which can make it significantly easier or harder.

Good example: Cities Skylines disables achievements if it detects any mods installed and enabled. (That's why after good 120 hours I barely have like 4 or 5 achievements unlocked, this game lacks hella lot of useful mechanics without mods)

However:

23 hours ago, Ovenproof Rope said:

Hell all platforms! 

Gog.com does not have achievements system, and neither has KSP store.

There are achievements in the game already. There's a list of all the science you've gained and a map that keeps track of all the flags you've planted. You can even take screenshots of the wacky things you've built to share on this forum or other places.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.