Insane Science in Career Mode?

RabidMouse

On this subject - when using the processing lab in a new place, always do each experiment twice, once to process and once to transmit or return to maximise your returns.

I suppose it gives you reason to revisit old locations you thought you had scienced out?

On 12/18/2017 at 7:47 PM, regex said:

It's not a bug, you can return and process the same result. This just indicates you've never processed the result.

To elaborate, the MPL science returns are on a completely separate track from the science you normally get by transmitting or recovering an experiment.  You can do one but not the other, or both.  It doesn't make much sense (why can a couple Kerbals in a space station get 5x more useful information out of a sample than everyone back on Kerbin?), but that's how the game does it.

You can only load the results from a particular experiment once into a particular MPL.  But to make things even more nuts, you CAN do repeats in a different MPL.  So you can potentially get infinite science, just by loading the same stuff into lab after lab after lab.

I am another player who refuses to use the MPL processing feature.  It's too powerful, and yet at the same time it's fussy and hard to keep track of.  The MPL is still handy for leveling Kerbals up in situ, though.  

I love the lab, but then, I don't scrounge every single bit of science from every single biome I can before going interplanetary. I usually do one Mun landing and a few Minmus landings to unlock the lab and other things, then move on because hanging around Kerbin sucking up easy science instead of moving out feels cheaty and grindy. In that respect the lab is perfectly balanced for how I play. 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:27 PM, nightingale said:

It always left a sour taste in my mouth - the only time based mechanic in a game where time is irrelevant.

Its unfortunate more time based mechanics weren't embraced by Squad.  It's one of the biggest failings of career mode in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Its unfortunate more time based mechanics weren't embraced by Squad.  It's one of the biggest failings of career mode in my opinion. 

From what I recall, HarvesteR specifically ruled out WAIT based mechanics, not TIME based mechanics. Things can take time, just not make you wait.

(Like you do for the lab, science transmission, mining and converting ore...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.