The Duna Enterprise

GarrisonChisholm

8 hours ago, DatBoi said:

*play X-Files them*

I wonder what that object is? Anyway, I was wondering if you were using any planet packs, and if so, which ones?

Indeed so.  There was a separate thread, linked elsewhere in this narrative (somewhere) which has a page where I list all my mods.  (delay)  Ok, I am awake enough to find it now.  :)

Spoiler

Capture2_zpsetuukhhh.png

Capture3_zps6z6cis9t.png

Capture1_zpsagjcbojl.png

To answer your question directly, I use the Outer Planets Mod, Extrasolar Planets Beyond Kerbol, and the Planet 9 mod.

& @roboslacker

-Mortimer's private jet

While the latter would be most topical, I think we can safely rule out all three. :P

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

8 minutes ago, DatBoi said:

Are these packs performance heavy?

Those?  Not at all.  I am upgrading as soon as possible anyway, but my suck-fest performance did not decline any further due to those packs. :)

BTW, we have a Very Special post in the works, but brilliance cannot be hastened.  :)   It will come within the week I would guess, with another hot on its heels.

Well remember I am running v 1.22, so a craft file will not be compatible.  In the next CRAP meeting (the 2nd upcoming post) I will present the VAB's take on 1 of the 3 components, and present it in such a way that duplicating it should suffice.  Essentially, a completed picture and text or 'exploded view' pictures should be included as needed to allow me to rebuild it.

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

Joon 7 ...

0550 hours.

Gene stormed irritatingly down the hall towards Mort's office.  The door was closed, but he could see a light on underneath.  He knocked sharply, and was surprised to see the light go out as he turned the handle.  He stood there in the doorway, staring into the darkened room.

"Come in Gene, shut the door behind you."

A match was struck as he closed the door, and Gene could see a pipe being puffed to life.  A desk lamp then came on, and warily Gene pulled over a chair and sat down.  He paused a moment as he considered this odd behavior, and changed his tack.

"Why did you need to see me at midnight Mort?" he asked, a little more curiosity present than irritation.

"You asked me today what I thought of Jeb's sighting report, and when I said nothing you demanded to know why I wasn't at the last CRAP."

"Yes, I did Mort.  We both know weird things are going on, and I need to know if you know anything about them."

Mort leaned back, a cocky, self-delighted grin on his face, and pushed a poured glass of skotch over to Gene.

"My friend, ...let me tell you a story."

Spoiler

WIsuYDK.jpg

Spoiler

X0DlyNO.jpg

Spoiler

bQ2xgmI.jpg

Spoiler

ZPxfW0M.jpg

Spoiler

yLNbgMi.jpg

Spoiler

DMnwIVs.jpg

Spoiler

sCA5QCn.jpg

Spoiler

zt6zWqv.jpg

Spoiler

Gene coughed and nearly spit his skotch across the desk.

"Wai- ...you threatened his Family!???"

"Please Gene, hush, I'm on a roll..."

Spoiler

ZoULyQ7.jpg

Spoiler

RCD5ZlT.jpg

Spoiler

nKfMt9M.jpg

Gene sat back, mind numbed not so much by the crazy facts Mort had reported, but that he had had the stones to pull off such an audacious scheme.  - and he was more than a bit freaked out by the accountant.

"...well, what in the hell does all this mean?"

Mort sat back, delighted to be the center of attention and the one empowered with the facts.

"Let's just think about that a minute..."

[to be continued! *]

* special credit for Mort's Day Off  goes entirely to the artistic talents of @Sorabh

Kan Diego State University is proud to announced it's new Duna Probe. Coming from the land of sustainability, KDSU decided upon using the low thrust, yet high efficiency, top of the line "Dawn" Ion Propulsion System. Some of the Tech on this probe may not be availiable to the Space Program, as it is currently in the highly dangerous prototyping phase. Until the flaws are worked out, certain parts will not be released to the public. Kan Diego's R&D Team wishes the Program a happy flight, and reminds them not to forget to pack their towels.   (Antennae not included. Warranty Void if flown beyond Duna.)

Edited by DatBoi

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

6 Months Later...

5 Minutes before CRAP 8...

Gene walked along the hall leading to the conference room.  He wasn't exactly thrilled to give this CRAP presentation, not that he ever really was 'thrilled' by them, but there had been a couple of embarrassing failures this year- and knowing now what Mort had told him 6 months ago, he knew failures were not good at all for the Program.

He nodded to the Airkerb standing guard in the corridor, who nodded back.  He was a pleasant enough chap, but he still hadn't liked the day they had all shown up.  A reminder he thought from the CA that this was a government enterprise, and not some private venture of Wernher's.  And also probably directly related to Mort's little visit to Air Force HQ.

The AF was chomping at the bits to get all the funding that KSC had lined up, and felt Space should be their private bailiwick.  Why, Jool only knew.  Mort had found out that they had a space-plane and were developing light cargo capacity.  Kerbin needed to be "guarded" they had said.  Gene was all for that, but was concerned that the Air Force might be looking at a problem through a straw, and that The Program's all-encompassing exploration mission was the better approach to understanding planetary security.

He ran his hands through his thinning hair and considered the future, immediate and distant.  He would cover the two recent probe flights to Minmus, the arrival of a Libra and ERIS at Eve, and the VAB's Ike/Duna lander concepts.  He would also be announcing a coming attraction that should put the "us first" Air Force boys back on their heels, a space-plane of their own that would manage cargo & crew to orbit and back that would have first flight later this year.  Gene didn't like the diversion of energy to essentially an 'only orbital' project, but Linus at least would be happy that his Space Farm was conceptually one step closer.

If only they could get a handle on their upper stage booster problem...

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

CRAP 8.

"Good morning everyone.  This is the 8th quasi-annual Corporate Ratification And Proposals conference, and I will get right to our updates on the year's activities, with some emphasis upon what we have been able to learn about our two note-worthy failures."

"For starters, we have the ill-fated flight of our second K-Tech probe to Minmus."

screenshot508_zpskr8zxpar.png

screenshot509_zpstahabufz.png

"We were especially excited about this launch, for we had expanded the capabilities of K-Tech's original design by mounting a pair of drop-off surface probes which would stay behind after the lander left, and we planned to visit two different biomes given the luxurious Dv budget present in the design.  However, a minor problem in orbital dynamics lead to fatal trouble for the mission."

"Due to a poor Minmus window at launch, despite our best efforts we could not program an intercept from launch.  So a mid-course correction was built into the flight plan.  Unfortunately, when it came time to perform the correction burn, it was discovered that our closest relay sat had orbited out of range of K-Tech Too's short-range antenna array, and the command to start the burn could not be given.  With our closest approach to Minmus not coming in range of the network there, we could only watch as the probe sailed rudderless into solar orbit."

screenshot514_zpsfgrj8xct.png

"As it happened, the last automated broadcast from the probe's tether-cam showed that the final inter-stage decoupler had become oddly dislodged, so there is ultimately doubt as to whether the probe would have performed as expected anyway."

screenshot515_zpsjsqoqwuu.png

"The expense was authorized for a mid-range antenna to be installed on future versions of the K-Tech probe to eliminate a recurrence of this problem, and a 3rd vehicle was ordered."

"Moving on from this unfortunate episode, it was then only shortly later that an unmanned high-mach aircraft successfully flew to orbit and returned for the first time."

screenshot516_zpsl7q9wwq7.png

"The U.S.C. Alpha was recovered successfully with no difficulties, however it was not decided to fly the craft crewed.  There would be small value in taking only a single person to orbit at present, so the flight dynamics lessons learned were immediately applied to a larger airframe which could accomplish some real goals in LKO.  That craft is currently under wind-tunnel testing and flight simulation, and we have high hopes of being able to reveal something truly significant by year's end."

"Next we launched a Libra+ relay satellite to Eve, intended to support the Eris mission which left orbit a few days before."

screenshot525_zpsqhhwgz4l.png

"Both craft were sent on their way successfully, with Libra arriving 1 day before Eris, which successfully shed its aeroshell in interplanetary space to satisfy a lucrative contract."

screenshot528_zpsxbr3dhm2.png

"After these two craft were on their way, it was not too long before K-Tech Tree was sent to Minmus, which thankfully this time performed all of its tasks flawlessly."

Spoiler

screenshot538_zpsho9ikxvb.png

Preparing for landing.

screenshot541_zpstf5it8y3.png

After landing and deploying the seismic probes.

screenshot542_zps1kyjhnyy.png

The upright seismic probe extending its solar array.

"One of the two probes did settle in a proper attitude, and when K-Tech Tree moved on to its new biome it stayed behind and is available to relay data."

"Finally, we have Eris and Libra arriving at Eve.  It was here that we had our second, and most costly failure of the year."

screenshot546_zpsk0furbeg.png

screenshot550_zpsnjb3nzcg.png

"Eris, when starting its breaking maneuver, was intended to slot into the same plane as its target orbit and a similar periapse.  Unfortunately, for reasons yet unknown, the engine did not shut down as planned, but instead burned out its entire propellant load, dropping its orbit from 8,000 km to 200.  This was catastrophic for the mission, as the remaining propellant could not come close to attaining the desired orbit."

screenshot549_zps0m92o8ja.png

"So, though we have begun an intensive survey of Eve with all the instruments at our disposal, we are unlikely to be able to fulfill the expected contract.  The year was expensive for us, as we additionally began development of a new crew capsule and requisite lifter, but the Program is still in good shape and set to capitalize on what gains we have so-far made."

"Oh- as a last addendum, the VAB has provided a multi-use probe for the future Duna/Ike mission, which I can illustrate here with a couple slides."

Spoiler

screenshot523_zpspyhtfjtg.png

screenshot522_zpsq1ajvplz.png

"It carries 3 different science instruments above each landing leg, and is powered by an Ant engine.  In the second frame a pair of 1m plates have been added for scale.  It should manage a powered or chute-assisted landing on either world.  The lander will compete with at least one submission from Kan-Diego State, who will be submitting their design sometime this year we believe, plus a second submission from K-Tech."

"Now, Linus, why don't you come up here to discuss what we have learned about our purple sister world?"

Gene stepped away and returned to his seat, knowing that Mort would not be delighted with the Program's budget, which had dipped from a healthy $2 million to little over $600,000.  It was the price of doing business however, and he hoped that Mort would see the importance of how the funds had been expended.

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

CRAP 8, the meeting.

"Good afternoon all.  As I covered in the press conference, we have had a couple of setbacks this year.  However, Gus and I went over the math, and feel we came up with an infallible rationale to simply push forward, aggressively.  This cost us significant funds, but by years end we'll be - we think - in a much better place for it."

"This graphic displays almost the entirety of where our expenses were invested."

screenshot555_zpskwiffsas.png

"Needing to build the orbital rockets for the pending TOURIST contracts, building those vessels was of course a necessity.  While we were debating how to proceed after the loss of K-Tech Too, we realized that those 3 rockets would together give us almost 300 science, thanks to the discoveries always made advancing technology during construction."

"It then occurred to us that we were sitting on a great deal of funding that wasn't actively doing anything.  However, if we commissioned the construction of most of the rockets we would need for the next 2 years, we would be turning that static funding into a working investment.  So, approximately :funds:900,000 are sitting in those 6 rockets under construction and 4 rockets in storage."

"And, a further :funds:1,000,000 is vested in this;"

b36e4aff-0230-47c6-aaab-ac0f4eef1c94_zps

"- or, more specifically, almost :funds:900,000 has gone to the runway expansion to support the vessel, our first fully functional space plane transport.  It will carry 6 crew and a medium sized satellite or upper stage equipped probe."

"So, yes, we are depleted significantly in cash, however - there would have been no way to expand the runway without half of the expense, and the rest of the expense should result in some significant science discoveries begun by years end."

"Lastly...

screenshot557_zpsdb2l3nlu.png

The senseless words faded into the background, as Mort closed his eyes and thought back at the disastrous year.  Soon he could not hear them, the mortals had stopped droning. He opened his eyes and found the room looking at him. "Hmm, my turn already, huh? First of all, Gene, you did such a tremendous job!" He started clapping, the sarcasm so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"And Gus, did I hear it right? You, along with Gene invested a million funds into a runway? That's some excellent financing skill you have right there, gentlemen!" Mort was still clapping, twisting deep that metaphorical knife.

"If I deduced it correctly, you could have attached a few SRBs & launch the spaceplane vertically, stage the SRBs and then recover them while the spaceplane does its thing. In the end, you just spent a million funds just to make sure that your SSTO could take off and land like a "proper" spaceplane. Fantastic!!!" 

"But Mort, you should know! We had to upgrade the runway sooner or later!" Gus tried to reason with Mort over his scathing applause.

"But Gus!  You too should know, why, there is a department dedicated to manage finances and advise you!" The clapping finally stopped.  "There's a kerb named Mortimer Kerman, who is right now lost as to why he was not contacted while such a huge decision was being made! I watched when the runway was being upgraded. I watched as money exchanged hands. Do you know what I was thinking all that time? I was thinking if I should go back to my old job. Because you know what?  People LISTENED to me then!!"  He bellowed.  "Believe me, I am so tempted!  But it would make you fools sitting ducks to those vicious pieces of mulch at the CA."

This would not have stung so much, if not for our other failures. The Minmus mission failure was completely avoidable, the Eve mission failure as well. "Wernher, I will need you to get your rear in gear. There will be a new quality assessment report on my desk within a week."

"As for the contracts, of course, go ahead with all of them, even the Duna Station. I have no issues."  Not that you would have cared to ask anyway if you didn't have to, he barely didn't add.

Gene just stared dumbstruck as Mort got up and dumped his handouts in the trash as he left.

He was right.  There was no reason they couldn't have launched it vertically.  It would have cost about 40,000, rather than nearly a million.  He looked at Gus, who looked red with embarrassment.

"No, ...no.  This one's on me Gus.  ...I was the one looking at a problem through a straw.  The Air Force space program problem, not the 'how to run the best Space Program' problem."

Gene stood.

"Everyone, eh, go get back to work.  ...I am going to go mend bridges with Mort.  If we ...I can."

Gene left through the Admin-wing door, and followed the distant footsteps of the 4 accountants down the hall.  They had a lot to get done, and now it was up to Gene to make sure they were on the same page, even if that meant Gene was tearing out a few he had written himself.

And more than ever he was convinced they wouldn't survive without Mort.

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

YEAR 10, Prime Day

CRAP 9

Gene stepped to the lecturn beeming.

"Well, its not everyday that we get to start a CRAP with a beautiful launch, eh?"

screenshot601_zpsgxxxkrft.png

"The Deep Regional Relay satellite is on its way to a cissarnus orbit at 183 million kilometers, and 10-years hence it will fire its engines to circularize its solar orbit."

screenshot602_zpshj6hkcet.png

"It will be joined by 2 or 3 other DRRs depending upon budgetary constraints."

Spoiler

screenshot600_zpsh55kzci0.png

"This deep space network will be in place to support our explorations of the outer planets, set to shortly begin with the Bhiku series of deep space probes."

screenshot577_zpszumg6jyz.png

"The first launch will likely be to Sarnus, since it is expected that existing communications technology can support such a mission.  Urlum and Neidon will also be visited by Bhiku 2 & 3, leaving Jool as the only outer giant un-visited.  This will be amended however in just a few months, as our new Space Plane carries an ion probe to LKO on its maiden flight.  The probe is under final assembly even as we speak, and should have ample fuel reserves to break into the Jool system and enjoy multiple fly-bys of its host of worlds."

"However, we have plenty to catch up on from the year beyond what today heralds."

"Two K-Tech landers were flown successfully to Mun, taking advantage of their generous fuel allowances."

Spoiler

screenshot564_zps2xfnqj2e.png

screenshot578_zps7my5mqtv.png

"Two different craters were selected to ensure a good sampling of the lunar surface."

Spoiler

screenshot565_zpsgd4eankp.png

screenshot580_zpsavvtn1wa.png

"And both probes deployed their seismic sensors correctly, leaving them in place behind on the surface."

Spoiler

screenshot570_zpshzurrsru.png

screenshot581_zpsrtuywjbw.png

"The probes also sent back some exceptional images in addition to their trove of information about the lunar surface."

screenshot567_zpsmjqclz3q.png

screenshot574_zpsra9hjmvz.png

"We also flew a pair of TOURIST missions, though the first was a simple orbital flown in an LBC."

screenshot582_zpsgdce5erx.png

"The second was the flight of our newest, and likely last Kerbin orbital capsule, called Lustre."

screenshot584_zpsukbjbzgk.png

"The Liberty capsule is a capable craft, but we found it would only reliably support 3 kerbs for a flight as far as Minmus.  The new capsule will support 8 kerbs for 80 days, and successfully brought its full complement back from our second crewed orbital of Minmus."

Spoiler

screenshot585_zps9i0amakf.png

Booster separation.

screenshot586_zpsdkgckcuq.png

Main Core separation.

screenshot587_zpsrzldqrtq.png

Solar panels deployed in LKO.

screenshot589_zpsrep9qfdh.png

screenshot591_zpsjnk9vltt.png

"The entry path was over the bay in the heavily populated Oracle River flood plain, providing quite the show for astronauts and citizens alike."

Spoiler

screenshot595_zpso6bxyz0k.png

"The craft traveled on into the Genosis region, and as chance would have it settled near the monastic community at the Valley of the Ancients."

screenshot596_zpsawmado9q.png

"While fortunately landing in a temple courtyard, the landing anomaly will unfortunately require quite a bit of cleanup."

Spoiler

screenshot598_zpsdcsr3pzh.png

screenshot599_zpso1y5ndyt.png

"The rupture was only a battery pack and an empty fuel tank, and the toxins didn't spray more than 4 or 500 meters.  All crew were recovered safely, and in addition to the TOURIST's experiments, the addition of a docking port had allowed the craft to complete a Minmus Orbital Station contract.  A very profitable flight, for all involved.  All in all, we have had a quite fine year."

He paused, as a very eager Kerb in the front row of the press rose and cut him off before he could introduce Linus.

"Gene, could you comment on the failure of the Program to carry out its most passionately stated mandate, to land a Kerbal on Mun?  You did successfully fly an un-crewed crew-capable craft 2 years ago, yet there has been no follow-up or official conversation."

Gene cleared his throat.

"Yes.  Well, our Civil Authority appointed Program Civil Authority has not yet seen fit to authorize a crewed mission to Mun or Minmus.  Rest assured however that we are ready to go when they give us the green light.  I-"

"But Gene," he interrupted, "what could possibly be the hold up?  Is it concerns for safety?"

Gene smiled, but grimly.  "I am sure the CA has good reasons for their directives, whatever they are.  Who are we to judge?"

Gene left the podium and sat down, ignoring further questions while Linus stepped up un-introduced.  His eyes locked on an Airkerb standing at ease by the door beyond Mort's shoulder, and he steadily tried to bore a hole in him with his eyes.

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

Kerbin Space Campus

Program Proposal Memorandum UPDATE:

Request for Type;

Ike Lander

Duna Lander

Relay Satellite

Program Constructor Affiliates

The Duna launch window has been selected, and is now a little over 1 year off.

The deadline for submissions for this mission will be 04/13/18 2400, and the VAB will field sub-components for any non-tendered components.

screenshot501_zpsfdjdmzry.png

The Finance Wing and multiple corporate scientific interests have given the green light for a full-up "Kadillac" mission to Duna.  Above you see our prototype orbiter 'bus' set for early testing.  The orbiter has 6 attachment rings for 6 different sub-probes, all of which will be presented for 3rd party design.  Submitted designs will be evaluated at the next CRAP meeting and the winning proposal chosen.  Amongst the factors which will be considered under evaluation are simplicity, cost, elegance, maximized science return, but most importantly low mass.  Each probe should come in under 3,000 kg.  Due to this limitation it is fully expected that the science packages will not be everything we would wish them to be.  Below we have attached a 1 meter by 1 meter plate for reference.

screenshot502_zpsd4x2btm9.png

Your physical limitations are likely 1 meter by 2 meters, with the attachment portion being less than 1 meter in diameter and allowance for the posterior portion to be 1.5 meters or maybe even 2.  2 identical probes/sats of each type will be flown and mounted opposite one another for weight distribution.  The plan is to enter Ike orbit, remain in orbit while the orbiter supports the landing attempts, then to break orbit and find a Duna orbit, slowly changing it to deploy the satellites appropriately and then finally the landers. The Orbiter will have an insertion stage helping it enter Ike orbit, and possibly leaving it as well.

The winning proposal will either submit their designs for VAB assembly, or ship the probe whole to the Campus for vehicle integration.  Please note, any errors discovered during assembly would reflect negatively upon further work with that construction house.  If plans alone are provided, the Program will assume liability for any errors in planning as they should be found out during assembly.

The Probe in its entirety will use the Liberty first and second stages as its lifter, so the mass restrictions are hard caps.

Interested parties shall submit proposals by [04/13/18 2400, Central Standard Time].

Should no interested parties field proposals by this time, the Program will have the VAB put together their best attempt.

Successful partnerships born of this agreement would carry forth the good will of the Program when future Private Industry opportunities develop.

[Author's Note!]

[This is the collaboration portion of this story! Fellow writers, you are invited to participate in this narrative!  We ask that you present your proposal in character, assuming either a specific or corporate (or University in the case of a JPL-like relationship) voice to represent the entity you create.  KSP is a Fun/Cool/Cute game, so sticking to the classic Kerbal memes is fine, however we do ask that excessively silly names and nomenclature be perhaps thought about before being submitted.  The tone I have tried to set of one of intensity where humor comes from our poor protagonist butting his head against his reality. :)

Feel free to PM me if you would like further guidance, however if you simply give your best shot at matching the tone of the tale so far you cannot stray too far from the mark.  Any general questions may of course also be asked below, if it seems reasonable the answer would be useful to the readership as a whole.  Also, the authors of course reserve the right to remove any submissions which are deemed to detract from the enterprise.  Good luck!]

Here's my submission, the WWTY SRR

D6uWHpY.png

It weighs in at 1116 kilos. And just for laughs:

Spoiler

I present the WWYT Inclusion.

ZlfJUqw.png

Returning to WWYT's roots, this cuting edge space probe invites people to consider what it really means to be a space probe. Is it really superficial things like engines, antenna, and the like that define what is means to be a space probe? Or is it something in the heart? When you think of the WWYT Inclusion, think of this.

11 hours ago, roboslacker said:

Here's my submission, the WWTY SRR

D6uWHpY.png

It weighs in at 1116 kilos. And just for laughs:

Reveal hidden contents

I present the WWYT Inclusion.

ZlfJUqw.png

Returning to WWYT's roots, this cuting edge space probe invites people to consider what it really means to be a space probe. Is it really superficial things like engines, antenna, and the like that define what is means to be a space probe? Or is it something in the heart? When you think of the WWYT Inclusion, think of this.

Ha!  I like it, and it *certainly* has the antenna part-count to weather many, Many years of Kerbalism part failures.  :)

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

Program Memorandum

The sub-probes for the Duna flight have been selected!  While Kan Diego State's submission was a quite robust probe in its own right, as it duplicated many of the capabilities of the core Bus itself it has been decided that WWYT Innovator's SSR will be the relay sat that is sent on this mission.  There-fore the VAB's lander concept will be used for the attempted Ike and Duna landings, with 4 of them being flown.

Kan Diego State's probe will be looked at however for deployment from KOPeC, our newly named re-usable space plane.

Thank you to everyone for your consideration!

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

Gene glared at the small white ball sitting in the sand as if it were a viper.  The chirping birds and beautiful day around him was wholly lost on his awareness as he settled himself in for a second try at getting out of the bunker.

"I just don't get it Mort... ...its not a private crusade, the people-"  he swung, pinching his eyes shut against the spray of sand, "-...dag nabbit."  A loud sigh escaped him.  "Bet that's on the edge of the rough past the green...the people Want us to land on the moon!  But the PCA won't green-light the darned flight."

"What the heck...", he then lowered his voice as Mort cast him a slow glare while he was lining up his shot, "...is the hold-up."

"I am pretty sure that the PCA has her reasons," responded Mort.  "I am not sure what exactly.  But I can say this for sure..." Mort then estimated the trajectory his ball would need to take. "-She is clearly the Air Force's puppet."

"As to why I think so, here, have a look." Mort tossed his particularly heavy smartphone to Gene.

"I took some photos of documents in the Archives, back when I raided the AirForce HQ." He shouted at his caddie who was at the hole, waiting for his instructions.  "HEY, GENERIC SIDEKICK!!! TAKE OUT THE FLAGSTICK!" and readied his iron club ignoring the indignant shouts of 'I AM A CADDIE, NOT A SIDEKICK!!!'

"They have this crazy plan, The Munex Initiative, to setup a military base on the freaking Mun!! They seem to have.....'noble' intentions behind this initiative."  The ball touched down on the putting green, and bounced its way to the hole. It danced on the rim and then dropped in.

"Hah! Birdie!" Mort took out his score-keeping notebook and updated it. "As I was saying, before I played that fantastic shot, they want to protect Kerbin from asteroids. Hence the Missile Base. And why it is on the Dark Side of the Mun is anyone's guess."

Gene stared at the phone which looked like it could be dropped in acid and come out just fine, and completely forgot his upcoming chip from the rough to save par.  Gene had never liked golf, but as part of "mending fences" with Mort he'd said "he would take him golfing sometime."  'Sometime' had turned into whenever Mort seemed to be having a bad day.

"Wh..  well."  His irritation though shifted from anger to consternation to bewilderment to cold calculation in the space of about 4 seconds.

"...we know that popular support is very high for scientific exploration and discovery because otherwise the CA wouldn't have bowed to public wishes and allowed the Program to be set up.  Popular support is also very against militarism after the attempted return of the old Imperial government in The War 30 years ago.  If the people knew that the government was putting weapons in space, whatever the cause, the CA might see itself removed just as the old Emperor's line was 50 years ago-"

Linus here chimed in, who was acting as Gene's caddie and constantly trying to recommend the best club to use but just as constantly getting ignored as Gene would pick his own.

"The CA clearly believes that a defense against the type of asteroid impact that caused the Neolithic Intermediate is their first priority Gene, but anything in orbit or on the near side of Mun would be obvious to any astronomer.  Because they are not satisfied with ground-based interceptors, that tells you they are not confident of any long range assessment, and they believe that time-to-target is the most important factor they see."

"And that also tells you that they are planning on using very big bombs!" Linus added with a cheerful grin.

Gene stared at Linus, then looked over to Mort.

"How could they afford to build a Mun base?  *We* need private corporations to even exist!  Where would they get the cash?  And we've sent 3 probes to Mun, why allow a probe flight but not a Kerb?"

"Pfftt....Ha! Funding, you ask? We will get to that later..He he.." Mort burst into a fit of suppressed laughter at Gene's naivete.

"And you are absolutely right, Linus. They are going to be huge bombs, the kind which will make Werhner's toys look like a sounding rocket. I want to ask this to you though."  He walked over to Gene and Linus. "Have you ever held a weapon, Gene? When you have one in your hands, you feel strength and power exuding from it. It feels as if you can do anything, as long as the weapon stays by your side. In fact, the very first part of weapons training in the armed forces is to remove this emotion from the trainee's mindset."

"Now, the officers at the Air Force are trained and professional. But what do you think might happen if an arrogant and corrupt CA official decide to point those bombs in the wrong direction? To Kerbin?" Mort sat down on the green even though the rest of the gang frowned at this.

"The point is, power corrupts people. Any weaponry under purely government control, whatsoever it might be, will entice zealous elements in the CA to use it for their own purposes."

"They are still developing their heavy Mk3 SSTOs. From the technical reports, they can each haul almost 36 tons to LKO. But those are crashing a lot, plagued with developmental errors.  But the missiles are ready!"

"About funding, I knew this fact from Day Zero, that the CA is only making us 'look' poor. I however, assumed it was done partially to attend to the primary needs of Kerbals here on the ground and also have a public-private partnership between KSC and other organizations. I did not pursue this irregularity back then. And now I discover that AirForce's Planetary Defense' budget is 18 times ours!!"

"And from what I can deduce, they are juuust giving us enough hope to hang on to the Mun to keep us content. If they allow us to land kerbs on the Mun today, the public might want a scientific base on the Mun tomorrow. So the CA is just giving us an inch, while making sure that we don't take a yard. Its insulting, being treated like a kid, you know!?"

"Now, the big question. What do we do, now that we know what's going on? Let them build those missile base, and allow some Posterior-Orifice CA official misuse it? Or maybe throw a spanner or two in their works?"

Gene looked at the sky and then back to the ground again, and slowly walked over to where his ball lay buried in the rough about 30 yards from the hole.

"...if the CA is instructing the Airforce to get to the moon, they have to be stopped.  The most likely scenario is they eventually succeed, and then they eventually get discovered, and for violating the Peaceful Space Act we'll either have a government tossed out on its ear or martial law.  Both of these would At Best disrupt our work.  And that's saying nothing about the dangers that would accompany that mess."

Gene considered his stroke, noting he wouldn't be able to do anything until Mort stood up.

"If they are planning a base on the moon..., and they don't want astronauts orbiting that might ask questions, they may have at least landed a probe or two of their own already even if their heavy craft isn't flying yet.  So, ... if we could obtain some imagery of those probes, or whatever work has been able to be begun there, and we confronted them with it-"

He looked at Mort.

"They would either have to back down, or silence the whole Flight Office, wouldn't you say?"

"They will find silencing the office quite difficult, in my experience, whether they do it conventionally or....unconventionally. Once we confront them, it won't be long till they give in. We will be playing a dangerous game there Gene."  Mort grinned like it was Kristmas.

"Well."  Gene smiled, and lining up his shot dropped the ball about 5 yards from the hole.  "Then I think I've got a way to get that imagery."

Gene enjoyed the entire round after that, despite being trounced by nearly 20 strokes.  Yes, the plan that had formed in his head was delicious.

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

But first, it was finally time for KOPeC to take to the skies...

screenshot603_zpsxdwfxmiz.png

Valentina and Peggy complete their pre-flight, with a cargo of a Jool probe and 4 TOURISTs.

screenshot605_zpsok5rjlyu.png

First 6 powerful sounding rocket motors fire, breaking friction with the tarmac, the most inefficient moment for the craft's engines.

screenshot606_zpsd4fdhgkj.png

Then the main engines fire, 4 Fullsail [1.25m Mainsail] and 2 down-rated Skippers.  When the empty sounding boosters break open on the tarmac there is a conflagration as aluminum powder and unused propellant ignite in the engine plume.

screenshot607_zpsgmpvowr9.png

Lift-off comes swiftly, as the immense canard authority and engine gimbal rotate the craft.

screenshot608_zpsihnyrexn.png

Ascent is brisk.

screenshot609_zps9jve5ez2.png

The engines shut down at 50km when the desired apoapsis is reached.

screenshot610_zpsn8v68cvx.png

Unfortunately, the cargo is heavier than what was flown in the sims, and it seems they are a bit shy of orbital Dv.

screenshot612_zpswv9sqbhh.png

A quick propellant pump from the cargo probe solves the issue.  The probe's ultimate trajectory will need to be re-evaluated later.

screenshot615_zpsxrcgcfuz.png

Finally in orbit, the cargo bays open and the solar panels deploy.  Peggy prepares the probe for deployment.

screenshot616_zps0ybisltg.png

KRANG!!

screenshot617_zpsfyw4srdu.png

It seems the decoupler was not set low enough- the probe catapults into the aft bolster and swiftly tumbles away, taking the vertical solar panels with it.  A quick check shows that that was the only damage.

screenshot619_zps0jikeuyq.png

The ship will only make one orbit, however the TOURISTs are able to quickly complete their experiments.

screenshot622_zpshuti5prk.png

Re-entry is entirely nominal.

screenshot629_zpsqnj9whic.png

The craft is soon met by oceanic recovery teams- an almost entirely successful first flight of cargo to orbit!

• 2 weeks later...

s7vaU3e_zpsx6zdlaqi.png

"...Launch."

screenshot633_zpsmito7vvu.png

Eris 2 slowly left the pad.

Gene stood by his console taking the measure of the room.  The next 10 minutes would be a fairly delicate ballet, but he had rehearsed how to handle it.

The rocket proceeded through its staging, and the mission control staff flawlessly called out the steps all the way to orbit.  The orbital injection burn was plotted, and everything looked fine.

"We are go for injection Flight."

"Copy."

"3...2...1...burn."

Gene glanced over at the row of techs, then looked down as he picked up his coffee.

"Pyro."

"Standing by Fli- whoa!!!"

screenshot634_zps2v2pqcxw.png

"Status Pyro?  Everyone, status."

"Flight when I armed the fairing bolts they fired, the jet key was not depressed!"

"Propulsion, velocity is no longer changing."

"Copy Flight, it seems the engine is offline, we are showing multiple ruptured feedlines."

Gene took a deep breath and exhaled.

"Did we lose the probe?"

"Negative Flight, probe is responding, but we have lost the mission for sure.  The 2 remaining stages *might* get the probe to Eve but no way can we meet the orbit requirements, or even make orbit without an aerobrake."

"...ok people, let's get it to a stable orbit and take stock of things."

Over the next several minutes the Orbital Dynamic Change engine brought the probe into orbit, and its various instruments were one by one brought online and checked, including the powerful scanner that had been designed to see through Eve's dense clouds.

screenshot637_zps6btt5uny.png

"So in summary, we have a functional probe, but no way to complete its mission."

Gene looked over at Airkerb Leonard where he stood by the door and just shook his head as if to say 'can you believe this luck?'.  Leonard allowed a brief tiny smirk in reply.  Gene walked over to the coffee pot and picked it up.

"Alright.  Let's plan a grave-yard orbit for this thing.  It will be the most expensive relay satellite around Kerbin-", where-upon he dropped the full newly-brewed pot and it shattered, casting glass shards and hot coffee across the floor.  Everyone's head's jerked towards the sound.

"Damn it.  Leonard, would you unlock the utility closet and send someone in with a mop?"

Airkerb Leonard was already fishing out his keys and left the control room to do as he was asked.

"Alright gentlemen, focus.  Please open your flight manuals to Appendix A and peel off the white laminated page.  Aaron, analyze your course, we have 6 minutes."

screenshot638_zpsudukywj4.png

When Leonard and a custodian had returned, the probe was safely on its way to its new destination, a polar orbit around Mun.

Gene smiled faintly.  They would have their evidence in a few months...

screenshot639_zpskplstugo.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.