Jump to content
  • 0

Looking for suggestions on 'skipping early game via savegame manip'


Spraki

Question

Hi.

Yeah. Strange request here. 

Now. I am trying to get back to ksp and i did do some googling. But I never got any numbers :(.

I like playing hard mode.

Previously. I had done recordings of my hardmode GPP play of building the ksp from scratch up to midgame. I did not upload those recordings tho.

I want to start a new hardmode game and am contemplating of skipping the early dirty work. So I (or future viewers) can get to the more spacy stuff of kSp.

 

Does anybody have a suggestion on how much funds and sci budget one should beef up to, so that it isn't too easy?

For instance and in my defense, I can't seem to find where the 'early early game' of the tech tree ends so one can pick off from there. 

Either I still have tooooo much funds or sci and i've been tweaking and tweaking or I have not even enough to put a damn Flea on the launchpad to continue (dramatized). It just doesn't feel right.

Of course. There was the idea to add up particular  R&D nodes and maybe a building upgrade or two. But the numbers don't match up well so that one can build crafts.

I just can't figure the funds and sci so that it reminds a hardmode style game without having to go through early tedious stuff.

 

Does anybody have a suggestion on funds/sci for 'just barely skipping early game ksc/kerbin grind'?

Sorry if this is one of my stupid questions again ^~^

Edited by Spraki
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 hours ago, Spraki said:

Does anybody have a suggestion on funds/sci for 'just barely skipping early game ksc/kerbin grind'?

Sorry if this is one of my stupid questions again ^~^

The amount of science you actually get from KSC is rarely worth the time if you're just trying to get your game moving. My current game I only allowed science to be collected from launch pad and runway. Nothing else in the KSC has been tapped. I viewed it as a challenge to get to space/orbit with as few science points as possible.

That said, I bet 100(ish) science points would do it...just enough to get the basic science parts and the swivel should make orbiting pretty easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
35 minutes ago, Tyko said:

The amount of science you actually get from KSC is rarely worth the time if you're just trying to get your game moving. My current game I only allowed science to be collected from launch pad and runway. Nothing else in the KSC has been tapped. I viewed it as a challenge to get to space/orbit with as few science points as possible.

That said, I bet 100(ish) science points would do it...just enough to get the basic science parts and the swivel should make orbiting pretty easy.

Ok. Seems plausible. Any suggestion on funds? This is probably the tougher one to figure since early game highly depends on the generated contracts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Spraki said:

Ok. Seems plausible. Any suggestion on funds? This is probably the tougher one to figure since early game highly depends on the generated contracts.

Would it make sense to simply grant enough funds to upgrade all KSC facilities to Level 2, then rely on contracts to fund the actual missions?  Or are you looking for something a little grindier?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, boccelounge said:

Would it make sense to simply grant enough funds to upgrade all KSC facilities to Level 2, then rely on contracts to fund the actual missions?  Or are you looking for something a little grindier?

Basically, trying to get to a spot where one can skip the KSC grind and other Kerbin biome grinds. Like, around the the moment where you could send your first kerbal into orbit or even get a satellite to Mün.

I just want to avoid the threat of having too many funds. But I have had several attempts where i simply cut too much funds-fat off and it was impossible again. Tweaked and tweaked and it felt wrong.

Maybe it is best to just edit sci and leave funds alone. Hmm.

Edit: ok. That KEI mod just might cut some of the problems. Maybe best to really just grab a few 90pts Sci nodes then.

 

Thanks all :3. More suggestions still welcomed.

 

Edited by Spraki
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 minutes ago, Spraki said:

Like, around the the moment where you could send your first kerbal into orbit or even get a satellite to Mün.

Oh that's a little less than I was thinking. For this, I'd unlock the 45-point tech nodes and only upgrade Mission Control, the Tracking Station, and the Launchpad. Maybe the Astronaut Complex too but maybe save that for the first cash from contracts. You'll get a decent chunk on that first launch to orbit because you'll break a dozen records or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Spraki said:

Basically, trying to get to a spot where one can skip the KSC grind and other Kerbin biome grinds. Like, around the the moment where you could send your first kerbal into orbit or even get a satellite to Mün.

I just want to avoid the threat of having too many funds. But I have had several attempts where i simply cut too much funds-fat off and it was impossible again. Tweaked and tweaked and it felt wrong.

Maybe it is best to just edit sci and leave funds alone. Hmm.

I understand; this thread caught my attention because I have very similar interests in starting new Career saves.

IMO, you need early Science much more than funds-- UNLESS you're unwilling to take on all the tourist, part-test, rescue, and survey/orbit missions.  If you are willing to do those, funds are pretty easy to come by.  I have a whole line of vessels dedicated to tourism/rescue and within a couple weeks of starting a new game rarely need to worry about funds...

EDIT: ... because those tourists always end up in some strange eccentric orbit, or with some random part stuck to the nose of their craft, or landing in some remote Kerbin biome...  i.e. I always use the Rescue/Tourist missions to fulfill at least 2-4 other contracts and/or suck up as Science as possible.  Just trying to give the rich Kerbs their money's worth, you know. :wink:

Edited by boccelounge
Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...