[1.3.x] Outlaw Racing Inc Development Thread

DoctorDavinci

Hi All

So I was racing the Ker-Ball Run challenge and it occurred to me that doing it with an actual engine would be cool so, with the help of some friends, Outlaw Racing Inc is what I came up with ... Heavily based off of Azimech's PullnDrag, ORI brings rover racing to the next level and the hope is for it to become a community driven mod since we do have a racing community within the ranks of KSP players and we have all wanted something that is like ORI

Let's make ORI all it can be :)

Outlaw Racing Inc Features

- 2 stackable engine blocks that have 2 modes, Normal and Supercharged ... Engines use intake air and liquid fuel to produce torque in normal operation and require either a Supercharger or NoS Exhaust Tips and NoS tanks to operate in Supercharged mode (engine toggle mode automatically set to the Gear action group)
- 4 types of racing wheels ... RoveMax M1D, RoveMax TR-2LS, RoveMax M1X and the RoveMax M1XR (each have varying top speeds and purposes)
- An air intake, NoS, NoS Exhaust tips (required to utilize NoS) and 2 sizes of Superchargers (toggle supercharger is automatically set to the gear action group ... NoS toggle is set to the RCS action group)

There is some major balancing still to be done but ORI is now in a somewhat workable state and it is time for the community to have a crack at it :)

More to be filled in at a later date but the general idea is to add the functionality of a competition mode for racing so as to provide for racing 2 craft against each other (I have already accomplished this in a rudimentary way but this feature needs more polishing to be widely usable) ... It is currently possible to set ups such a race, as I have done it, using Smart Parts Continued parts and the MechJeb Rover Autopilot

Spoiler

GitHub Releases link: https://github.com/DoctorDavinci/Outlaw-Racing-Inc/releases

Thanx to the test team and contributors ...

@SpannerMonkey(smce)
@Azimech
@TheKurgan
@Wrench Head
@gomker
@XOC2008

Outlaw Racing code and parts are released under GPLv3 ... Models and Textures are All Rights Reserved

Edited by DoctorDavinci

19 hours ago, Abpilot said:

:o *spams download button*

There is still a lot of work to do on this  ... balancing and ease of use being the primary concern

11 hours ago, Ourshinigami said:

It is really fun (good 3D moddel)

Glad you are enjoying it ... much work to do to get it up to snuff but we now have a starting point ... any issues you have just pop a message and myself as well as the other lads will be glad to help 

Honestly, if it wasn't for the lads in the test group, ORI would not be a thing

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

There is still a lot of work to do on this  ... balancing and ease of use being the primary concern

Glad you are enjoying it ... much work to do to get it up to snuff but we now have a starting point ... any issues you have just pop a message and myself as well as the other lads will be glad to help 

Honestly, if it wasn't for the lads in the test group, ORI would not be a thing

true true but STILL AWSOME!!!!

1 hour ago, Urses said:

This needs something like a superglue expender for the wheels as KSP and traction are sworn enemies for life me thinks....

But realy nice and fun experience!

If you play with the springs, dampers, traction control and friction control you can make the wheels work much better than if you leave them at the stock settings

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really cool concept, reminded me of ACF for Gmod, also really fun to mess around with.

oSLhIwg.jpg

kVZD9vy.jpg

The mod is intended to be used to make cars, what's the first thing i do? Build a tank. With wheels.

ULJFRTk.jpg

I also made a more detailed version with reactive armor

Btw: the tank is the M1 Abrams MBT

So i really liked the mod and brought myself to make an actual car.

GIJPocm.jpg

It's some random 60s-80s american sports car, "kinda" inspired by a mustang.

j1j8Lmz.jpg

zXA6gC9.jpg

it has about the same part count as the simplest version of the M1 Abrams i made.

qJ7nFpQ.jpg

It Works pretty well and is pretty reliable(thanks to this mod). Max speed is around 117 meters per second. It also becomes a drift machine once you enable four wheel steering

Edited by Kerbalistic
grammar error

Made an F-1

w6moCoJ.jpg

Pxrx43L.jpg

66TgyGe.jpg

The concept is cool but i think i could have done it much better. It looks kinda ugly right now and the top speed is nothing special. also, it breaks apart by just bumping into a rock(i guess the real life ones would also do that but still). The only thing im proud of on this car is the steering wheel.

At least i tried :P

Also, what's with some wheels freaking out when a car lands after a jump?, Its always only one wheel and some types dont do that. The wheel stops responding to commands and starts going backwards, and the only way to put it back to normal is by completely stopping the car. Not a big issue really, since the Off Roader, wich i specifically designed to do sick jumps uses a type of wheel that usually doesnt freak out when i land. But i still would like to know if there is another solution.

Other than that, the Mod Works perfectly 99% of the time. :D

Edited by Kerbalistic
more info

20 hours ago, Kerbalistic said:

Also, what's with some wheels freaking out when a car lands after a jump?, Its always only one wheel and some types dont do that. The wheel stops responding to commands and starts going backwards, and the only way to put it back to normal is by completely stopping the car. Not a big issue really, since the Off Roader, wich i specifically designed to do sick jumps uses a type of wheel that usually doesnt freak out when i land. But i still would like to know if there is another solution.

Other than that, the Mod Works perfectly 99% of the time. :D

The wheel motor reversing is due to a quirk in KSP where on occasion the wheel motor will reverse if the wheels were placed on the craft in symmetry ... Haven't found a fix for it yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.