KSK

Hey folks,

Not completely sure where this lives on the forum but I thought you might like it. A combination of a real-world astronaut with some nice things to say about KSP, a presenter whose eyes manage to bug out more than Jeb's and some fairly... relaxed KSP playing.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/video-astronaut-scott-kelly-teaches-orbital-mechanics-with-kerbal-space-program/?comments=1 

6 minutes ago, KSK said:

Hey folks,

Not completely sure where this lives on the forum but I thought you might like it. A combination of a real-world astronaut with some nice things to say about KSP, a presenter whose eyes manage to bug out more than Jeb's and some fairly... relaxed KSP playing.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/video-astronaut-scott-kelly-teaches-orbital-mechanics-with-kerbal-space-program/?comments=1 

Too Cool!!! :)

I wonder if he's also lurking the forum... or if he's read our stories???  :0.0:

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I wonder if he's also lurking the forum... or if he's read our stories???  :0.0:

Seems unlikely he'd have the time but man that would be sweet as if he had!  I'd be very curious to know if my rendition of spaceflight manages to capture even a tiny bit of the feel of the real thing.

55 minutes ago, KSK said:

Seems unlikely he'd have the time but man that would be sweet as if he had!  I'd be very curious to know if my rendition of spaceflight manages to capture even a tiny bit of the feel of the real thing.

Oh, I'm sure he's got much better stuff to read... :rolleyes:  But yeah, it would be really great to have the opinion from someone that's actually been there!!!  

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, I'm sure he's got much better stuff to read... :rolleyes:  But yeah, it would be really great to have the opinion from someone that's actually been there!!!  

Oh, like any astronaut would have to worry about magic boulders and evil Kraken queens! :wink:

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh, I'm sure he's got much better stuff to read... :rolleyes:  

Ahhh - I'm doing that 'taking things slightly too literally again' aren't I? One moment please - recalibration in process. :) 

4 minutes ago, KSK said:

Ahhh - I'm doing that 'taking things slightly too literally again' aren't I? One moment please - recalibration in process. :) 

Oh, no... it's how I meant it... I'm the one being a little too unrealistic... hehehe :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

Lee Hutchinson gently bumps the shuttle into the external fuel tank, and Scott Kelly helpfully points out: "That nose cap, there on the space shuttle? You just crushed it." 

Those little bumps we get away with on a daily basis, are a Big Deal in real life. Space: not a "contact" sport :wink:

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I dunno.... most players end up here with the "Why the heck is X doing Y???".  And the answer is usually "Cause KSP physics does A when real world physics does B, but it's close!"    I can see these guys swinging by to answer some questions of their own...

5 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Oh, like any astronaut would have to worry about magic boulders and evil Kraken queens!

Well, in my universe... lol... No, I mean like what @KSK is saying... I'd love to know if we're coming close to reality or not on things like launch sequences... or maybe an EVA... being able to talk to any of the astronauts would be so informative!!!

And I'm seriously thinking one of these days going back over to visit NASA, and wearing my Kerbal T-shirt... just to see if I get a reaction out of anyone... :D

Edited by Just Jim

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Thanks, @KSK!  That was very cool, and fun to watch.

@Just Jim: if he is lurking, I owe him several* 'likes' for saying Jeb looks like his brother. :D

* Several hundred, that is.  Plus, you know, several thousand more, for being Scott Kelly.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Well, in my universe... lol... No, I mean like what @KSK is saying... I'd love to know if we're coming close to reality or not on things like launch sequences... or maybe an EVA... being able to talk to any of the astronauts would be so informative!!!

And I'm seriously thinking one of these days going back over to visit NASA, and wearing my Kerbal T-shirt... just to see if I get a reaction out of anyone... :D

You just might! 

A year or so ago I went to see the Cosmonauts exhibition in London (biggest display of early Soviet space hardware outside of the former USSR apparently), so naturally I wore my Gagarin T-shirt on the day. It did an outstanding job of marking me as a Space Nerd in his Native Habitat which was excellent for sparking really interesting conversations with the museum staff. :) 

Edit: @boccelounge - you're very welcome!

Edited by KSK

18 hours ago, Just Jim said:

well, if elon musk plays kerbal, then scott kelly might go on the forums

2 hours ago, 322997am said:

well, if elon musk plays kerbal, then scott kelly might go on the forums

We don't know that Elon plays KSP. I doubt he spends much time playing games given his life.

Don't extrapolate too much from him being asked if he knew KSP once, and responding with something like "Kerbal is awesome" or something like that (my recollection of it may have many errors).

My "memory summary" of what he said is that it was also consistent with him just having seen the game before, and liked the concept  - aside from Orbiter, it is the first game that portrays spaceflight in anything resembling a realistic manner.

9 minutes ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

I think i can retire from KSP now. I have achieved it all. Landed everywhere and had a real astronaut use my craft :D

I will only consider retiring after I've flown a replica mission of a real mission I'm flying on, in-flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.