Retractable Clamp-O-Tron Jr.

Geonovast

Does anyone know of any mods that have a retractable Jr. docking port?  I'm working on a little SSTO for a single crewmember and no cargo.  I'd like to get the giant zit off the nose. 

Ideally I'd like a nosecone that opened up similar to the Clamp-O-Tron shielded docking port, but shaped like the nosecone and using a Jr.  Wouldn't mind an inline one though.

Obviously I would do something different with the front gear.

screenshot265.png

The forum search and Google have been less than helpful.

In stock, it’s possible to hide it visually inside a 1.25m service bay and still dock, if the other port is a little extra proud of its surface

Mk2 Extensions has some nose-mounted cargo doors that can enclose a standard jr port and fold very far out of the way to allow docking

But I haven’t seen an exact shielded jr port. Good idea though. Tweakscale maybe?

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

In stock, it’s possible to hide it visually inside a 1.25m service bay and still dock, if the other port is a little extra proud of its surface

I'd tried that first, but hated how it looked, and had a feeling that in order to get it to work, the port would actually be sticking outside the doors, which is unacceptable to me.  I might play around with it again with snap off and see if I can find a happy medium.

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

Mk2 Extensions has some nose-mounted cargo doors that can enclose a standard jr port and fold very far out of the way to allow docking

I've got the Mk2 Extensions mod, but the that's the problem - they're Mk2.  I have this one, from a different mod (I don't know which), but I don't like it.

screenshot268.png

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

But I haven’t seen an exact shielded jr port. Good idea though. Tweakscale maybe?

I can probably never explain why, but I can't bring myself to use tweakscale.

A nose cone cargo bay would be perfect.  If one doesn't exist, I may just have to put on my big-boy pants and learn how to mod.

24 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'd tried that first, but hated how it looked, and had a feeling that in order to get it to work, the port would actually be sticking outside the doors, which is unacceptable to me.  I might play around with it again with snap off and see if I can find a happy medium.

I've got the Mk2 Extensions mod, but the that's the problem - they're Mk2.  I have this one, from a different mod (I don't know which), but I don't like it.

screenshot268.png

I can probably never explain why, but I can't bring myself to use tweakscale.

A nose cone cargo bay would be perfect.  If one doesn't exist, I may just have to put on my big-boy pants and learn how to mod.

That port is from KRE. I think near future construction (not positive) may have a nosecone cargo bay but you would need tweakscale.....

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

It's possible to turn off angle snap, have the port completely hidden when closed, and still get it to mate.  But like I said, the opposite port needs to stick up pretty far.  Like, mounted on the end of a Mk0 fuel tank sticking up off its craft.  

1 minute ago, fourfa said:

But like I said, the opposite port needs to stick up pretty far.  Like, mounted on the end of a Mk0 fuel tank sticking up off its craft.  

That wouldn't be an issue, it'd be on a space station.  This is probably going to be my best bet unless I stumble upon exactly what I want.

One option would be to scale down the Mk2 Spaceplane retracting dock and place your dock on the top or side of your spaceplane instead of on the nose.

I think you'd have to actually copy the Mk2 part, rename it, scale it and then change the docking port size in the config. I don't think Tweakscale would adjust the docking port size in the config. If it doesn't, then the game will still think it's a 1.25 scale port and won't let you connect to another Jr.

I'm not in front of my game machine now, so can't look up the exact syntax. Maybe someone else can post that.

8 minutes ago, Tyko said:

One option would be to scale down the Mk2 Spaceplane retracting dock and place your dock on the top or side of your spaceplane instead of on the nose.

I think you'd have to actually copy the Mk2 part, rename it, scale it and then change the docking port size in the config. I don't think Tweakscale would adjust the docking port size in the config. If it doesn't, then the game will still think it's a 1.25 scale port and won't let you connect to another Jr.

I'm not in front of my game machine now, so can't look up the exact syntax. Maybe someone else can post that.

Maybe not the Mk2 one, but perhaps the Mk1 Inline docking port, down to Mk0.  Use a Mk1-Mk0 adapter, scaled down port, then an Mk0 nosecone.  Now I just need to figure out how to do that.

As long as I'm scaling it down and creating a permanent part, I think I'd be alright with that.

As far as the docking size syntax, I have a bit of experience with that.  Just the other day I was messing with the aforementioned Mk1 Inline Docking Port to make it dock with Konstruction! Ports. (You'll notice I have two of them in the screenshots)

Edited by Geonovast

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

They were originally designed for tiny sized probes

I'll probably use them for something similar as well.  Just needs to grab on, Kerbal transfer can happen with EVA, since I have a hard time believing Kerbals crawl through Juniors as it is.

1 minute ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

I just finished modelling a conical Mk1 Service bay for the Clamp-o-tron Jr.!

Awesome!  One of these days I really need to learn Blender,... and everything else involved in making parts.

Would it be possible to have to doors open a little further back, or would you have to re-do too much?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.