KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM

POST               PROCESSING               MOD

Introducing KS3P (KSP Post Processing -> KSPPP -> KS3P), a mod that aims to bring post-processing effects to Kerbal Space Program.

Ever wondered 'how come Unreal Engine games always look so smooth compared to Unity Engine? Well, that's the result of post-processing. See an example below:

12-1.jpg

Here's another demonstration from my own computer.

Without post-processing:

tBqE5I2.png

With post-processing:

twywX3B.png

Screenshots

They say an image speaks a thousand words. Thanks to KS3P, they may even speak more than that. Here are a couple of side-by-side comparisons.

Spoiler

Without KS3P:

HGXR6Gr.png

With KS3P:

OCdrHaF.png

Without KS3P:

iM4jIeq.png

With KS3P:

mQsaYos.png

Without KS3P:

SIEtGH8.png

With KS3P:

nvEDDhY.png

Features

- Make KSP look better than ever, with post-processing effects!

- Low CPU and GPU cost!

- Works with and alongside all your favorite mods! (Including CameraTools!)

But it gets better...

- KS3P is fully configurable, meaning that every post-processing effect can be fine-tuned. Modders can even set up effect configurations to be scene-specific

- KS3P has several features to play with:

- Anti-Aliasing (FXAA or TAA)
- Ambient Occlusion (Note: does not work right in Unity 5.4.0, but should work like a charm with KSP 1.4)
- Screen Space Reflection
- Depth of field
- Motion blur
- Eye adaptation
- Bloom & lens dirt
- Color grading
- Tonemapping (Make the colors pop by harnessing the ACES Filmic and the Neutral tonemappers)
- User Lut
- Chromatic abberation
- Procedural grain
- Vignette
- Dithering

DOWNLOAD

Mod:  SpaceDock [V6.1 for KSP 1.7.X]

Source code: GitHub

Documentation:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/[email protected]/manual/index.html

In-Game editor:

Open-close with Left-Alt + 3. Documentation on the way.

Edited by The White Guardian
Hotfix

On 12/21/2017 at 2:48 PM, Stone Blue said:

Delta cant see ANYTHING... He's Dizzy... :P

Why are you like this...

On 12/21/2017 at 2:45 PM, The White Guardian said:

That's odd... I'll work some magic.

@DeltaDizzy can you see them now?

yep, but some ksp ones would be nice.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

I can’t test now, but is this configurable via MM, or will I be forced to use a UI like I am with Distant Objects Enhancements and set everything up every time I reinstall it?? (I absolutely hate that about DOE. I could go on a tangent but I’ll stop here) 

Edited by Galileo

21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I can’t test now, but is this configurable via MM, or will I be forced to use a UI like I am with Distant Objects Enhancements and set everything up every time I reinstall it?? (I absolutely hate that about DOE. I could go on a tangent but I’ll stop here) 

You edited that message, in which you stopped yourself from going on a tangent. I agree that MM editing should be a thing.

Hey all, brief moment online before I call it a day.

First order of business: disabling effects. ( @Kerbital )

The configuration for the post-processing is found in KSPDirectory/GameData/KS3P/Config.cfg

In there, you'll find a list of 'Config nodes', each of them named 'Post_Processing'. Inside them is a value labeled 'Scene'. This shows that scene that setup is for.

Each scene contains a bunch of sub-nodes, the name of each sub node identifies what effect it is for. For example:

Post_Processing
{
	Scene = MainMenu
	Vignette
	{
		//Stuff here
	}
}

The above code would add a vignette to the main menu. Mind you, you can only have one profile per scene. If multiple profiles per scene are detected, only the first one will be applied.

To disable an effect entirely, remove its sub-node. When loading the configuration, KS3P checks whether or not the node of a specific effect exists. If not, that effect is disabled. The effect is also disabled if a parsing error occurs when loading that particular effect. So, to remove chromatic abberation and the vignette, delete their sub-nodes from each scene you don't want them in.

As for the lens dirt, that's actually a part of the 'Bloom' effect. To remove it, simply comment out the entry 'Dirt_Tex' for each scene where you don't want it. (Ergo, change it from 'Dirt_Tex' to '//Dirt_Tex'). This will internally yield a value of 'null', which KS3P will take as 'we don't want lens dirt effects. While on the subject of the dirt texture, the value directly below Dirt_Tex, Dirt_Intensity, controls how 'visible' the dirty lens effect is. You can also set this to zero to disable the effect.

Next, compatibility. @kjack1111, KS3P has absolutely nothing to do with the planetary system. It works by inserting a few things into the rendering pipeline.

Ergo, when the computer produces a 'frame' (on average, computers do this 60 times per second, hence the term 60 FPS (Frames Per Second), KS3P adds a bunch of effects on top. This means that it is 100% compatible with any planet mod, although fine-tuning it may be necessary in some extreme cases. So, feel free to use it with any mod. :wink:

Then module manager. @Galileo currently KS3P does not support Module-Manager patching, but worry not. I've added that feature to my local, half-finished copy of the upgraded INSTANTIATOR, and I can add it to KS3P too. I'll just have to look up how I did it again. Currently, when loading the configuration, KS3P grabs a config file of which the location is set in stone, and processes that particular config file for the settings. What I did with INSTANTIATOR (huge thanks to @Thomas P. there) was search through the entire GameData folder for INSTANTIATOR config nodes. I should be able to add this feature to KS3P in a matter of days. (By that I mean that I aim to release a hotfix with this feature tomorrow)

As for why I don't have any KSP screenshots up there ( @JadeOfMaar @Horman @DeltaDizzy @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures ), let me share how the idea behind KS3P came to be, then it'll make sense.

You see, I've wanted to add post-processing to KSP for a while now, but I was under the assumption that Unity 5.4.0 (the version KSP uses) was too old for the post-processing shaders. Therefore I had been waiting for the 1.4 update, with the transition to Unity 2017, to make KS3P a reality. Imagine my surprise when I imported the shaders into a 5.4.0 project and found out that most of the shades worked like a charm. That was three days ago.

After that I put pedal to the metal and worked on KS3P non-stop. The problem is, I had been using my KSP install to work on my mod Evolution. I couldn't really make in-game screenshots because the planetary system is currently uprooted on my end...

I'll make a couple of screenshots with @Galileo's legendary SVE pack installed tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Next, compatibility. @kjack1111, KS3P has absolutely nothing to do with the planetary system. It works by inserting a few things into the rendering pipeline.

Ergo, when the computer produces a 'frame' (on average, computers do this 60 times per second, hence the term 60 FPS (Frames Per Second), KS3P adds a bunch of effects on top. This means that it is 100% compatible with any planet mod, although fine-tuning it may be necessary in some extreme cases. So, feel free to use it with any mod. :wink:

Awesome!

@The White Guardian - I commented out the subsections. Thanks!

Edit: That seems to break the bloom effect:

Bloom
    {
        //Bloom settings
        Anti_Flicker = true
        Intensity = 0.89
        Radius = 6.5
        Soft_Knee = 0.78
        Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
        //Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
        //Dirt_Intensity = 5
    }

Edited by Kerbital

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.