Hello,

I also had the blue screen bug in 3.0, so I can't wait to get home and try 3.1, which, judging by other people's replies, will surely work. As you all are, I am also curious what the problem was with 3.0. I do not have Camera Tools installed, either, so I don't think that could be the issue. Thinking of any camera related mods, the only one I can think of easy Easy Vessel Switch. I am not sure if I have any other mod with any camera related functionality. Other than that I am wondering if it might be a hardware issue. I don't have a very beefy system and it is sort of struggling with my installation. I don't get much a of an fps drop, but loading times are kinda long and with ks3p I was having a good deal of stutter in flight mode. Wonder if that might be related to the blue screen bug. Something like the mod failing to acquire some needed resource due to an overloaded system.

4 hours ago, canisin said:

Hello,

I also had the blue screen bug in 3.0, so I can't wait to get home and try 3.1, which, judging by other people's replies, will surely work. As you all are, I am also curious what the problem was with 3.0. I do not have Camera Tools installed, either, so I don't think that could be the issue. Thinking of any camera related mods, the only one I can think of easy Easy Vessel Switch. I am not sure if I have any other mod with any camera related functionality. Other than that I am wondering if it might be a hardware issue. I don't have a very beefy system and it is sort of struggling with my installation. I don't get much a of an fps drop, but loading times are kinda long and with ks3p I was having a good deal of stutter in flight mode. Wonder if that might be related to the blue screen bug. Something like the mod failing to acquire some needed resource due to an overloaded system.

I can safely assure you - it is not a hardware related error. If it were a matter of memory lacking, KSP would just slow down, not error.

A game works by executing all necessary code before rendering an image, which is then passed on to the screen. KS3P makes a few changes to this image, so somewhere a conflict must have occurred. Why this is, I do not know, but I will get to the bottom of it.

Okay so I'm a total layman when it comes to visual mods, what do I need to do to make this work? Is it just a drop-in thing? Will i... I just loaded my.. yep it's working.

My problem now is my general ineptitude with config file editing; there's a lot of stuff I want to turn off, because right now the image just seems way too fuzzy and soft for me.

Before:

8DLfNyW.jpg

After:

Q7J3FnR.jpg

I mean, it's sorta nice, but I don't know what to change and how to change it so it well and truly wows me. I'll probably ditch the vignette if I can, but I don't know what else I can safely touch, or how to touch it.

Hello, I have to report an issue. Using KS3P 3.1 I don't have lens flares in flight, but just in the Space Center menu and in VAB/SPH. I've also tried to increase the visibility number in the config file but it didn't work. However, using KS3P 2.0 I can see them. In another install of KSP (using RSS) the problem was the same but was apparently fixed by adding a Galileo Sunflare (that sadly doesn't fix the problem in the Stock System install). Here's the log. Thank you in advance!

I have found the issue of lens dirt missing (or rather, KS3P ignoring most of the settings in the Flight scene SETUP) by accident while working on a KS3P update that allows for the creation of multiple post-processing profiles.

IE, content creators can bundle a PP-profile with their mod. To differentiate among profiles there is a new value 'Name' inside a 'Post_Processing' node, where authors can name their PP setup. This setup can then be chosen inside the Settings.cfg that KS3P will have from the next version onward, scene-specifically. Ergo, users can choose what preset to load per scene. This is done in preparation for the first UI update that allows users to swap between PP profiles in-game. I am planning on adding an in-game editor later.

Anyhow, the problem is that, idiot as I am, I wrote the following construction:

Step 1: KS3P checks if, this specific frame, IVA view is enabled, and if yes, the IVA profile is applied.
Step 2: If this specific frame is NOT IVA, KS3P will instead check if the 'active vessel' is in fact a Kerbonaut. If yes, EVA view is enabled.
Step 3: If we're not in IVA nor EVA, the 'Flight' profile is loaded.

However, by accident, I told KS3P to load the 'IVA' settings rather than the 'Flight' settings should it come to step 3... :blush: so this will be fixed in the next release.

Besides that I've been asked to take a look at the MovieTime mod to see if I could revive it. I may end up adding similar effects to KS3P as a secondary pass on top of the KS3P effects.

Right now I plan on doing an entire rewrite of KS3P for optimal UI integration, as well as make some preparations for an in-game editor, because most values should be easily tweakable. Note that this rewrite is going to take some time.

@The White Guardian :

I would love to see a feature. Some kind of time-dependent config that gives the player some sense of passed time.

The longer a mission has been going on the dirtier the lens will get. Perhaps flying through atmosphere adds some extra dirt.

And lens failures, mimicing the development of cameras and lenses since the 50's. Starting with noisier images, some chromatic aberrations and such. Or even monochromatic abberations, but I think I wouldn't use them. Really hardcore would be reducing to NTCS or even B/W in the first years, which I wouldn't use either.

15 minutes ago, Benji said:

@The White Guardian :

I would love to see a feature. Some kind of time-dependent config that gives the player some sense of passed time.

The longer a mission has been going on the dirtier the lens will get. Perhaps flying through atmosphere adds some extra dirt.

And lens failures, mimicing the development of cameras and lenses since the 50's. Starting with noisier images, some chromatic aberrations and such. Or even monochromatic abberations, but I think I wouldn't use them. Really hardcore would be reducing to NTCS or even B/W in the first years, which I wouldn't use either.

Neat idea! Not sure if it'd really be fit for KS3P though... I think I'll release that as a KS3P addon should I ever get to making such a thing.

8 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I have found the issue of lens dirt missing (or rather, KS3P ignoring most of the settings in the Flight scene SETUP) by accident while working on a KS3P update that allows for the creation of multiple post-processing profiles.

IE, content creators can bundle a PP-profile with their mod. To differentiate among profiles there is a new value 'Name' inside a 'Post_Processing' node, where authors can name their PP setup. This setup can then be chosen inside the Settings.cfg that KS3P will have from the next version onward, scene-specifically. Ergo, users can choose what preset to load per scene. This is done in preparation for the first UI update that allows users to swap between PP profiles in-game. I am planning on adding an in-game editor later.

Anyhow, the problem is that, idiot as I am, I wrote the following construction:

Step 1: KS3P checks if, this specific frame, IVA view is enabled, and if yes, the IVA profile is applied.
Step 2: If this specific frame is NOT IVA, KS3P will instead check if the 'active vessel' is in fact a Kerbonaut. If yes, EVA view is enabled.
Step 3: If we're not in IVA nor EVA, the 'Flight' profile is loaded.

However, by accident, I told KS3P to load the 'IVA' settings rather than the 'Flight' settings should it come to step 3... :blush: so this will be fixed in the next release.

Besides that I've been asked to take a look at the MovieTime mod to see if I could revive it. I may end up adding similar effects to KS3P as a secondary pass on top of the KS3P effects.

Right now I plan on doing an entire rewrite of KS3P for optimal UI integration, as well as make some preparations for an in-game editor, because most values should be easily tweakable. Note that this rewrite is going to take some time.

Thank you for that and good luck with the rewrite! Will the next release be a normal update, fixing the lenses, or will it be the actual rewrite?

I forgot to show you a cinematic that I've done using KS3P, it's the trailer for a school thesis for my final exam.

3 hours ago, DjPreside said:

Thank you for that and good luck with the rewrite! Will the next release be a normal update, fixing the lenses, or will it be the actual rewrite?

I forgot to show you a cinematic that I've done using KS3P, it's the trailer for a school thesis for my final exam.

Wow, cool thing.

But at the end, I expected a cut to Matt Kerman, standing on the surface, looking up and saying: "Damn, not again."

Edited by Benji
Wrong universe.It wouldn't be Matt Damon on Duna, would it?

22 hours ago, Benji said:

Wow, cool thing.

But at the end, I expected a cut to Matt Kerman, standing on the surface, looking up and saying: "Damn, not again."

Well I hope my Kerbals like potatoes!

On 1/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, Benji said:

Wow, cool thing.

Wasn't he played by the same actor in Saving Private Kerman? And Good Will Kerman?

Edited by Starwaster

New member of the forum here, but I've lurked for a few years now. Decided to create an account so I could ask some things and express my appreciation for a mod like this.

I've been looking for a ReShade alternative for KSP for quite a while, since ReShade doesn't work as well on KSP as I'd want it to (DoF and SSAO don't work, etc.) and draws over the HUD as well. So thank you so much for KS3P. It works flawlessly; better than I expected, with no impact on my system and gameplay at all.

I was just wondering, can the shaders be linked to macros/hotkeys a la Reshade? For example, "/" would turn on/off DoF so I don't constantly play with it on, but can toggle it for pretty screenshots. A global toggle would be good as well, just so comparisons can be easily made. I'm very excited for an in-game GUI, it's one of my favourite features of ReShade allowing me to create configs on the fly and edit them so WYSIWYG. Once again, thank you for implementing Unity's post processing into KSP, it's really transformed the game visually perhaps almost on par with scatterer and EVE.

3 hours ago, moyevka said:

New member of the forum here, but I've lurked for a few years now. Decided to create an account so I could ask some things and express my appreciation for a mod like this.

I've been looking for a ReShade alternative for KSP for quite a while, since ReShade doesn't work as well on KSP as I'd want it to (DoF and SSAO don't work, etc.) and draws over the HUD as well. So thank you so much for KS3P. It works flawlessly; better than I expected, with no impact on my system and gameplay at all.

I was just wondering, can the shaders be linked to macros/hotkeys a la Reshade? For example, "/" would turn on/off DoF so I don't constantly play with it on, but can toggle it for pretty screenshots. A global toggle would be good as well, just so comparisons can be easily made. I'm very excited for an in-game GUI, it's one of my favourite features of ReShade allowing me to create configs on the fly and edit them so WYSIWYG. Once again, thank you for implementing Unity's post processing into KSP, it's really transformed the game visually perhaps almost on par with scatterer and EVE.

First off - thank you! :D I never used ReShade myself (...I wasn't even aware it existed) so it's great to hear KS3P is a better solution to post-processing.

I think I can explain why ReShade draws over the GUI - for some reason KSP uses several cameras: a few cameras in charge of rendering 3D space, and a few cameras charged with rendering parts of the UI. I believe this is how KSP's F2 hotkey works - it enables/disables the UI-cameras, meaning that the UI is still executed, but simply not drawn. ReShade probably targets all cameras, including those in charge of the user-interface. KS3P was built from the ground up to ignore the UI-cameras as much as possible.

Anyhow, technical stuff aside, I have in fact been working on a 'killswitch' for KS3P: a hotkey combination that shuts down or restarts the plugin. For most scripts (each scene has a different script, IE there's a script for the VAB, for the SPH, for the main menu, etc) this simply means re-running the 'update camera' function, but instead of checking whether or not the configuration is enabled, it is shut down. Alternatively, on restart, KS3P checks if the current scene has post-processing enabled (post-processing is disabled for a scene if the config data for that scene is missing, or if KS3P encountered an error loading the data for that scene.

A killswitch per post-processing-effect is definitely a more ambitious idea. I'm not sure how I'd implement that, but I'll look into it.

I am currently struggling with in-game GUI creation à la KittopiaTech or EVE, but I'm certain it's a nut I can crack. My current idea is the following setup:

- Open the GUI through a toolbar button or a key combination

- Target a post-processing setup per author

- Edit the settings of that setup, using an 'apply' button to refresh the effect

- Save the changes to the config

Like I said, it's an ambitious idea and implementing it is definitely going to take some time, but I'm confident I can make it a reality.

Thank you once again. :)

19 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I think I can explain why ReShade draws over the GUI - for some reason KSP uses several cameras: a few cameras in charge of rendering 3D space, and a few cameras charged with rendering parts of the UI. I believe this is how KSP's F2 hotkey works - it enables/disables the UI-cameras, meaning that the UI is still executed, but simply not drawn. ReShade probably targets all cameras, including those in charge of the user-interface. KS3P was built from the ground up to ignore the UI-cameras as much as possible.

Ah, no, ReShade actually functions as a shader injector, rather than part of a host-supported post-processing suite. It's not a KSP mod nor is it even part of Unity, it's just a third-party application that draws over whatever's on the screen (more specifically the application it's hooked on to) overlaying its shaders like you would applying filters to a image in Photoshop or similar. As such, it affects pretty much all on-screen elements. It supports its more "high-tier" shaders like DoF, SSAO and various other depth-related tasks by extracting a depth map from the game (it can hook on to anything using DirectX/OpenGL) and applying the shaders from there. They don't work on some games because they have their depth map locked away (access to it means you can look through walls and stuff, so...). I don't think many people have tinkered with KSP + ReShade enough find out why the depth map isn't easy to extract, though some people have had luck in the past (not me!).

Don't worry too much about a killswitch/toggle for each effect, it's just an idea. If you could get multiple profiles working, switching through them should be an easier-to-manage alternative. And good luck with the GUI! I bet you can get it done and up in no time! If you don't mind me throwing in yet another small request, have it function with sliders, kinda like the GUI for Distant Object Enhancement. It should be much more intuitive for anyone looking to jump in behind the hood and fiddle with things, because from my experience opening a GUI to a wall of numbers can get pretty intimidating.

I have made significant process with refining KS3P's source code these past few hours. For the next version, expect the following:

- Major code overhaul: KS3P's source code is now much more streamlined

- Ability to create multiple post-processing profiles (KS3P loads and indexes all found profiles)

- Ability to enable/disable KS3P at runtime

- Ability to switch profiles in-game

- Slight config layout overhaul

Post_Processing //Base KS3P node, KS3P targets each of these nodes
{
	Name = x //This name is added to the internal list of names. On startup, all found names are printed to the settings.cfg file
	//KS3P is being rewritten to bundle all scene-specific post-processing profiles internally and only load one of these bundles
	SETUP
	{
		Scene = X //The scene this setup node is for

//Node about 'Scene': it now uses this value to parse an enumerator. In normal English: only a select amount of values are valid.
		//These valid values are: [MainMenu], [VAB], [SPH], [KSC], [Flight], [IVA], [EVA]
		//Without the brackets, of course. (IE, a valid scene setup is 'Scene = VAB', not 'Scene = [VAB]'.
		//The Scene is also not case-sensitive, so you can also write 'Scene = vab'.

//Effects:
		Anti_Aliasing
		{
			//AA settings. Leave out the AA node to disable AA for this scene
		}
		Ambient_Occlusion
		{
			//AO settings. Leave out the AO node to disable AO for this scene
		}
		Bloom
		{
			//Bloom settings. Leave out the bloom node to disable bloom for this scene
		}
		Chromatic_Abberation
		{
			//CA settings. Leave out the CA node to disable CA for this scene
		}
		Color_Grading
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Depth_Of_Field
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Dithering
		{
			//Dithering cannot be configured. Simply add the node to enable it.
		}
		Eye_Adaptation
		{
			//EA settings. Leave out the EA node to disable EA for this scene
		}
		Fog
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Grain
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Motion_Blur
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Screen_Space_Reflection
		{
			//Idem
		}
		User_Lut
		{
			//Idem
		}
		Vignette
		{
			//Idem
		}
	}
}

- A GUI will not be present in the next version, but you can use a hotkey combination to cycle between profiles. What profile is loaded is printed to the console. (This gives a temporary solution to the problem @moyevka pointed out: it will allow users to create a 'beauty' profile and a 'game' profile, for beauty shots and regular gameplay respectively.)

- Fixed an issue inside the processor for Color Grading. This issue has been present since the first version of KS3P. I was not aware of it until I rewrote the source code and found an error preventing the Color Grading filter from ever activating properly. Instead its activation would be linked to Chromatic Abberation. This has now been patched, it should now work correctly.

I need a little bit more time to finish everything, but it should be done soon.

Planned features for the future:

Spoiler

- Situation-specific profile swapping in flight (allow creators to link PP profiles to planets for example)

- In-game GUI and editor

- More, original post-processing effects

- Post-processing effects with results similar to those of MovieTime

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.