22 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

I'm having an issue with the mod, don't know if it has to do with the settings but even the default ones seem to cause it.

It's only happening when I use DX11 so for the moment I've switched to dx9 but if there's a way of fixing the issue that'd be pretty cool. (Because I think I've noticed better perfomance with dx11 in the past, but this mod is better than performance itself :D )

When I load the game, everything is fine and beautiful, however as soon as I launch a rocket everything is just turned upside down, and the bug persists when I come back to the KSC scene.

It's a bit hard to explain so I've made a few screenshots : 

Hide contents

NndC9Kt.pngXUYqRpB.pngx1NPxTb.png

I'm... I'm quite at a loss for words, here. I've never seen that issue before, much less ever theorized that something like this might occur. I wonder what exactly is causing the NullRef spam in the last screenshot though.
Could you run KSP on DX11 with KS3P and KS3P only? If so, please launch a vessel and check the console. If the NullRef spam happens again, it's guaranteed to be a problem with KS3P, in which case, I'm going to need the contents of the file KSP.txt, found in the root folder of your KSP install. That file should tell me exactly where the problem originates from within the code. (IE, what specific part of what specific script is causing it)

6 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I'm... I'm quite at a loss for words, here. I've never seen that issue before, much less ever theorized that something like this might occur. I wonder what exactly is causing the NullRef spam in the last screenshot though.
Could you run KSP on DX11 with KS3P and KS3P only? If so, please launch a vessel and check the console. If the NullRef spam happens again, it's guaranteed to be a problem with KS3P, in which case, I'm going to need the contents of the file KSP.txt, found in the root folder of your KSP install. That file should tell me exactly where the problem originates from within the code. (IE, what specific part of what specific script is causing it)

Yes sir ! :) 

Trying that right now, if it works fine in a stock game I'll try to pinpoint which of my 120 or so mods is conflicting... Which may take some time and end up with me giving up rapidly

So at first I thought Stock was fine because the issue isn't as visible. In fact most of the KS3P effects are just not visible but I noticed that afterwards. The NRE spamming is still happening, so here is the KSP.log (I suppose you meant that because I don't have a KSP.txt) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/95tagx2vt6xy3ds/KSP.log?dl=0

And of course everything is still fine in regular dx9 mode. No console spamming and effects appearing normally

Edited by lBoBl

7 hours ago, lBoBl said:

So at first I thought Stock was fine because the issue isn't as visible. In fact most of the KS3P effects are just not visible but I noticed that afterwards. The NRE spamming is still happening, so here is the KSP.log (I suppose you meant that because I don't have a KSP.txt) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/95tagx2vt6xy3ds/KSP.log?dl=0

And of course everything is still fine in regular dx9 mode. No console spamming and effects appearing normally

Now I get it!

Apparently DX11 hates the Eye Adaptation effect. Simply edit the default config file for KS3P and remove every instance of the Eye Adaptation node, then try it again.

1 minute ago, The White Guardian said:

Now I get it!

Apparently DX11 hates the Eye Adaptation effect. Simply edit the default config file for KS3P and remove every instance of the Eye Adaptation node, then try it again.

glad to hear it's coming from my least favorite effect... Thanks, I'll try that !

The eye adaptation can be neat, if used conservatively. Particuarly in space-faring, going from looking at planets to space is a pretty massive difference.

I found that the null-refs under DX11 also coincided with a memory leak that happened as soon as I went to launchpad. Didn't have the camera-tilt, though. After removing the eye-adaption, everything seems to work fine!

Edited by Temeter

Played a bit around with the extension, and it seems to work pretty well. I particuarly like how the Bloom works. Works pretty well, and didn't yet encounter bugs apart from the eye adaption issue.

Might be personal opinion,  but IMO some of the stock settings are a bit bright. The effects should be more subtle; but then again, the configs are pretty good for changing it to my perferences.

An 'objetive' feedback I would give is that the VAB is far too dark in stock settings. It's a bit unpleasant on the eyes, between the dark colors and strong bloom. Considering how tedious and complex craft construction can be, I think the VAB should be well lit and easy on the eyes. (not sure what the ideal settins would be here, tbh)

Edited by Temeter

Sorry if this is a "nag" request, but is there any reason the Settings.cfg functionality has been removed in favor of reading custom Module Manager patches? It's not a huge deal I guess since it's just one extra step, but it does seem to be a needless tedious step for no discernible net gain. Is there some technical reason behind this, or do you think it would be possible for future updates to re-implement the ability to just modify the Settings.cfg directly?

2 hours ago, jaxmed said:

Sorry if this is a "nag" request, but is there any reason the Settings.cfg functionality has been removed in favor of reading custom Module Manager patches? It's not a huge deal I guess since it's just one extra step, but it does seem to be a needless tedious step for no discernible net gain. Is there some technical reason behind this, or do you think it would be possible for future updates to re-implement the ability to just modify the Settings.cfg directly?

It was done mostly to simplify the source code, to 'declutter' so to speak, with the goal of fixing a few issues.

Due to this code overhaul, both settings in the Settings.cfg were made obsolete and it was therefore removed.

So, the functionality of Settings.cfg simply no longer exists, not even at source code level. I can always re-add it later, but MM patches is actually a better system when it comes to compatibility.

Edited by The White Guardian

Now that 1.4 has been released and Kerbal Space Program has officially marched on to Unity 2017, that means some KS3P updates are in order. Specifically I'm going to look at each effect as they should work a lot better now with Unity 2017, while working to a release for KSP 1.4

Also, I've noticed that people are unsure as to why I removed the 'multiple configs' feature for now - it is because it was somehow directly related to various texture-based effects (chromatic abberation and lens dirt) not working correctly. This feature will be returning, I just have to find out a way to bring it back without breaking stuff again.

I suppose the textures were not working due to the way I was 'packing' them internally. I already have an idea as to how to fix this. It's a bit more extravagant, but if it works, I'll be able to bring back the settings.cfg file, IE write your setups elsewhere then nudge KS3P, as well as make KS3P more stable.

Edited by The White Guardian

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Chimichanga said:

Was looking through my screenshots from over the years and am STILL blown away at how good this mod was. Thanks so much! Can't wait for the update!

ZMWtaDO.pngbo1Stwm.png

Awesome screenies!
And I love your profile pic! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.