19 hours ago, Kerbital said:

@The White Guardian - I commented out the subsections. Thanks!

Edit: That seems to break the bloom effect:

Bloom
    {
        //Bloom settings
        Anti_Flicker = true
        Intensity = 0.89
        Radius = 6.5
        Soft_Knee = 0.78
        Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
        //Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
        //Dirt_Intensity = 5
    }

Noted for the next update. AFAIK not entering a dirt texture would cause the dirt effect to disable, but maybe that's Unity Editor only. I'll write a fix for it so it doesn't disable the entire effect.

Edited by The White Guardian

1 minute ago, The White Guardian said:

Noted for the next update. AFAIK not entering a dirt texture would cause the dirt effect to disable, but maybe that's Unity Editor only. I'll write a fix for it so it doesn't disable the entire effect.

The strange thing is that just lowering the dirt intensity value (to 5 for example) removes the bloom effect. Almost as if this setting controlled the bloom effect itself.

19 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

What advantage does this have over ReShade? :P

(I didn't even know ReShade was a thing)
The advantage is that it's built for KSP / Unity and therefore more optimized. ReShade seems to be something external.

50 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

The strange thing is that just lowering the dirt intensity value (to 5 for example) removes the bloom effect. Almost as if this setting controlled the bloom effect itself.

The lens dirt seems to amplify the bloom effect, because it reacts so heavily to the bloom. I'll look into this.

19 hours ago, kjack1111 said:

So @The White Guardian, there is a minor rendering bug with this and GPO.

A square of Gaia's rings are lit *way* up. Which produces a rather unplesant effect from the ground/in space. Any potential fix?

screenshot95_by_kjack1111-dbxezug.png

screenshot96_by_kjack1111-dbxezu3.png

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this. You're in the tracking station, which is bugged currently, so you're actually not seeing post-processing effects there. I therefore doubt it is related to KS3P - can you confirm that removing KS3P fixes the issue?

19 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Are you using a custom PP stack or the one that is included with Unity that Squad just never imported?
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?&_ga=2.180724583.1586170214.1513898714-1404763540.1513898714#!/content/83912

It is, in fact, using the post-processing stack as a base. :D
Making a config parser and making the whole PP system script-related was a pain in the rear though. The Unity PP stack was designed to be set up in-editor.

19 hours ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

Are we allowed to bundle this with mods?

The license allows it provided that proper credit is given (credit Unity for the PP effects and credit me for making them work in KSP through a config-based system)

The problem is that the KS3P dll does not work outside of its own root folder. Therefore bundling it is not a good idea.

It's probably better to treat it like EVE and Scatterer and make a custom config for it, for automatic compatibility should KS3P be detected.

18 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

So...am I right in thinking I could make a custom effect for the map screen?  That would be nifty!  Reminded me of an interesting yet abandoned mod: Movie Time.

The map view is part of the 'flight' scene, so currently any effect made for the flight scene SHOULD appear in the map view...

I can, however, try to hook up the Flight scene MonoBehaviour script to KSP's Event system and feed a different PP profile to the main camera depending on whether Map View was entered or not...

I'll mark it down for the next update. Shouldn't be too hard.

(In fact I'm already mentally writing a prototype code)

18 hours ago, EricL said:

This looks great @The White Guardian! Can't wait to use it!

So am I right in assuming that this is compatible with other visual mods as well?

100% compatible. :D

5 hours ago, Galacticvoyager said:

So basically this mod is a mega-compatible one. ALL mods in existence work with it?

All mods, yes. Even other mods that add stuff to the rendering pipeline should work in theory.

4 hours ago, Leandro Basi said:

I removed dirt effect, but bloom effect has gone! 

Marked to be fixed in the next version.

3 hours ago, Urses said:

And we see the next generation of "ask the OP"-Season "why your KSP looks so mich better as my install T_T"

I never though of KSP as a potentant for "Best ingame Graphics"-Award. Realy well done @The White Guardian

Thank you! :D

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Kinda confused why the pictures you chose to put in the OP weren't from KSP though? Lol.

We all play video games here obviously, I don't think we need to be shown what post processing is. I do want to see what it looks like in this game in particular though. Comparison shots from KSP would be super helpful.

20 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

You see, I've wanted to add post-processing to KSP for a while now, but I was under the assumption that Unity 5.4.0 (the version KSP uses) was too old for the post-processing shaders. Therefore I had been waiting for the 1.4 update, with the transition to Unity 2017, to make KS3P a reality. Imagine my surprise when I imported the shaders into a 5.4.0 project and found out that most of the shades worked like a charm. That was three days ago.

After that I put pedal to the metal and worked on KS3P non-stop. The problem is, I had been using my KSP install to work on my mod Evolution. I couldn't really make in-game screenshots because the planetary system is currently uprooted on my end...

There's your answer - my current KSP install is pretty messed up. There's not much to take beauty pics of right now, sadly...

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

UPDATE: Setting Dirt_Intensity at 1, makes the dirty camera effect almost unnoticeable, but keeps the bloom effect. I saw a couple of other people asking about this so I figured they'd find it handy.

I'll look into the relation between dirt and bloom to make this behaviour a bit more streamlined.

1 hour ago, kjack1111 said:

Removing it did not remove the issue. The issue did appear in flight mode, not just map screen. ((This might be a issue with the rings themselfs, if gameslinx is correct.))

psst you should have poked me before i left my PC :(

Looks like it's my problem, Guardian, but I cannot replicate it on my own install of GPO.

9 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

psst you should have poked me before i left my PC :(

Looks like it's my problem, Guardian, but I cannot replicate it on my own install of GPO.

The ring problems base mostly on Kopernicus. Maybe it would be worth to take a look inside?

11 hours ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

Soo...I, like many others, have had to turn down the bloom myself in the Config.cfg file. May I ask on behalf of those unskilled in config editing why it is set so high by default?

I presume it's a nasty side-effect of my KSP install currently being dedicated to the development of my mod Evolution, which also adjusts the light and ambient light settings.

The settings look quite alright on my end, but it uses a different star, so that's where the problem likely occurred.

Adjusting the settings for the default KSP install is also on the to-do list for the next version, along with bugfixing, fixing the vector2-parser, and making KS3P search through the GameData folder for config files.

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think the bloom level is just fine, it's the lens dirt that's way too high by default. Unless turning down the lens dirt in the .cfg turns down the bloom? It very well could considering how tied together they seem?

The White Guardian said he'd look into this for the next release. I also like the bloom but the dirty lens effect is overdone and distracting. Crossing fingers!

8 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

The White Guardian said he'd look into this for the next release. I also like the bloom but the dirty lens effect is overdone and distracting. Crossing fingers!

Like I said before, I turned all the instances of Dirt_Intensity to 1 and you can barely notice it now, plus the Bloom effect is still totally on.

I saw earlier you said you tried something similar but lost the Bloom effect right?

That's really weird, wonder what the difference is? You said you set it to 5 right?

13 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Like I said before, I turned all the instances of Dirt_Intensity to 1 and you can barely notice it now, plus the Bloom effect is still totally on.

I saw earlier you said you tried something similar but lost the Bloom effect right?

That's really weird, wonder what the difference is? You said you set it to 5 right?

Yes, I tried different values down to 5, 1 and even 0 and it disables bloom for me. Unless I missed something. I'll try again later.

Just now, Kerbital said:

Yes, I tried different values down to 5, 1 and even 0 and it disables bloom for me. Unless I missed something. I'll try again later.

Maybe I'm going crazy, did you see the comparison shots I posted earlier? There is definitely some Bloom going on right?

I mean I can hardly even look at the lights on the wall in the VAB they are so bright. That's gotta be the Bloom...isn't it?

I could upload my .cfg file if you want? Although like I said, all I did was change them all to 1.

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Maybe I'm going crazy, did you see the comparison shots I posted earlier? There is definitely some Bloom going on right?

I mean I can hardly even look at the lights on the wall in the VAB they are so bright. That's gotta be the Bloom...isn't it?

I could upload my .cfg file if you want? Although like I said, all I did was change them all to 1.

I saw you pics and see some degree of bloom there but I feel it's more intensive with the default settings. My large ship, I showed pics of, shows pretty much vanilla lighting. Maybe we're looking at the same thing with different expectations. I'll try to get some screenshots.

2 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

I saw you pics and see some degree of bloom there but I feel it's more intensive with the default settings. My large ship, I showed pics of, shows pretty much vanilla lighting. Maybe we're looking at the same thing with different expectations. I'll try to get some screenshots.

Oh! I'm looking at the example .cfg stuff you posted and I think the difference is that I didn't comment the section out like the OP suggested. (Because I'm an idiot who doesn't follow instructions...)

Have you tried that? Even with lens dirt on, set to 1, it's hardly noticeable.

1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Oh! I'm looking at the example .cfg stuff you posted and I think the difference is that I didn't comment the section out like the OP suggested. (Because I'm an idiot who doesn't follow instructions...)

Have you tried that? Even with lens dirt on, set to 1, it's hardly noticeable.

I tried commenting out, removing the subsection and even deleting the actual filter image and the result was similar: the bloom effect is either gone and way less intensive. Hang on, working on screehsnots.

Just now, Kerbital said:

I tried commenting out, removing the subsection and even deleting the actual filter image and the result was similar: the bloom effect is either gone and way less intensive. Hang on, working on screehsnots.

No, what I mean is, leave it exactly as it is by default, just change the number to 1.

So here is yours that you posted:

Bloom
    {
        //Bloom settings
        Anti_Flicker = true
        Intensity = 0.89
        Radius = 6.5
        Soft_Knee = 0.78
        Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
        //Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
        //Dirt_Intensity = 5
    }

This is what mine looks like:

Bloom
    {
        //Bloom settings
        Anti_Flicker = true
        Intensity = 0.89
        Radius = 6.5
        Soft_Knee = 0.78
        Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
        Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
        Dirt_Intensity = 1
    }

The bloom effect at the default settings seems to me to be more intensive. Look at the command module where two small windows are. At default settings you can barely see windows. Also, look at the section with the probes and the lander docked and the hydrogen tank at the rear.

I did exactly what you did: set the values to 0, all of them.

What do you think?

AAAARGH! I've deleted the folder with these pictures from the server accidentally!!! Sorry:(

default.jpg

EDITED (value 1)
edited.jpg

VANILLA (mod removed)
vanilla.jpg

Edited by Kerbital

Geez, yeah I'd say your right, I think they may be tied together?

That or it's just the dirty lens amplifying the observed effect? (Not likely, admittedly.)

Hopefully @The White Guardian can eventually shed some light on this for us, or even better; separate them so we can have individual settings for each.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.