25 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

It will also not allow me to click anywhere on the screen or move the camera.

That's an input lock which can be 'unlocked' by opening the debug menu (alt + F12 or ctrl + alt + F12 or by clicking 'version info' in the pause menu). On the left side, you will find a 'Input Lock' tab which contains a big button to clear the input lock.

Anyway, that's not a solution, more like a workaround but since it is an input lock, it is unlikely related to KS3P which does not provide any ingame UI (AFAIk that's the only reason to implement an input lock  but I can be wrong).

14 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm... my guess is something to do with Scatterer or EVE. Can you try removing them one at a time and seeing if it persists? Also, is that KSPRC I see?!

Actually, that's sounds reasonable, especially the KSPRC folder is pretty suspicious. (Latest release of KSPRC is for KSP 1.1.2)

A log file would be helpful as well :)

edit: I just noticed that you can use KSPRC along with AVP but you have to remove the citylights and atmosphere folder...anyway, a log is always helpful ^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

19 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm... my guess is something to do with Scatterer or EVE. Can you try removing them one at a time and seeing if it persists? Also, is that KSPRC I see?!

19 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

That's an input lock which can be 'unlocked' by opening the debug menu (alt + F12 or ctrl + alt + F12 or by clicking 'version info' in the pause menu). On the left side, you will find a 'Input Lock' tab which contains a big button to clear the input lock.

Anyway, that's not a solution, more like a workaround but since it is an input lock, it is unlikely related to KS3P which does not provide any ingame UI (AFAIk that's the only reason to implement an input lock  but I can be wrong).

Actually, that's sounds reasonable, especially the KSPRC folder is pretty suspicious. (Latest release of KSPRC is for KSP 1.1.2)

A log file would be helpful as well :)

edit: I just noticed that you can use KSPRC along with AVP but you have to remove the citylights and atmosphere folder...anyway, a log is always helpful ^^

Thank you both for the replies. I couldn't test it until now.

I started by removing KSPRC which didn't fix any of the problems. I didn't install it again to prevent further problems though (the AVP mod installation guide suggests you can use KSPRC if you remove some folders but it could well be outdated).

Anyway, I then removed scatterer which resulted in the same flickering effect and input lock. The only thing that changed is that the sky was now blue.

Removing EVE didn't fix anything.

So I've narrowed down that it's got to be some kind of conflict between scatterer and KS3P, or KS3P on its own? Which is weird because both of these mods (and the rest of them for the record) are either updated for 1.4.5 or reported to be working on that patch.

Do you suggest I ask for help in the scatterer thread? Every problem I describe is fixed by unistalling KS3P.

Also how do I provide a log if there's no crash that generates it?

Again, thanks for the help.

Edited by 1990eam

32 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Also how do I provide a log if there's no crash that generates it?

The crash log is just one of three logs ;) There is also a KSP.log and a output_log.txt. The KSP.log can be found in your KSP install directory, litrally between the KSP.exe and the KSP_x64.exe (well, if you play on windows. On OSX and linux, I guess it is called 'player.log' but it is still located in the install directory). The output_log is a bit more hidden, this post will help you to find it:

It contains all possible locations for each OS. (The locations changed during the update from 1.3.1 to 1.4.0, so it can be a bit tricky)

Actually, both logs are pretty similar but usually the output_log is requested by mod authors if you got a mod issue.

32 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Do you suggest I ask for help in the scatterer thread? Every problem I describe is fixed by unistalling KS3P.

I know, there was a bug in scatterer which causes this issue but it got fixed in the 0.0324 release. Anyway, since scatterer had this issue once, it is probably the reason in your install as well. Also, I remember to read somewhere about this issue just a few weeks ago but I can't find the post again :/
So yes, you can ask in the scatterer thread as well but you will definitly need a log file before you do this, otherwise the only response will be: 'post a log file' :P

Do you use the 43k clouds which are mentioned in the AVP thread and probably any startup parameter like -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl ?

edit: by the way..which config file do you use for KS3P? Just in case it is actually KS3P which causes this issue^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The crash log is just one of three logs ;) There is also a KSP.log and a output_log.txt. The KSP.log can be found in your KSP install directory, litrally between the KSP.exe and the KSP_x64.exe (well, if you play on windows. On OSX and linux, I guess it is called 'player.log' but it is still located in the install directory). The output_log is a bit more hidden, this post will help you to find it:

It contains all possible locations for each OS. (The locations changed during the update from 1.3.1 to 1.4.0, so it can be a bit tricky)

Actually, both logs are pretty similar but usually the output_log is requested by mod authors if you got a mod issue.

I know, there was a bug in scatterer which causes this issue but it got fixed in the 0.0324 release. Anyway, since scatterer had this issue once, it is probably the reason in your install as well. Also, I remember to read somewhere about this issue just a few weeks ago but I can't find the post again :/
So yes, you can ask in the scatterer thread as well but you will definitly need a log file before you do this, otherwise the only response will be: 'post a log file' :P

Do you use the 43k clouds which are mentioned in the AVP thread and probably any startup parameter like -force-d3d11 or -force-opengl ?

edit: by the way..which config file do you use for KS3P? Just in case it is actually KS3P which causes this issue^^

Yes, I use -force-d3d11 because TexturesUnlimited says it's a must when I load up the game.

I did a fresh install of AVP with the 8k textures (no 43k clouds). Problems persist.

I use KS3P stock. I haven't tweaked anything in the config file. I don't know if that's what you mean?

Also I found the logs you mentioned. Wondering if I should post them here or in the scatterer thread.

Edited by 1990eam

26 minutes ago, 1990eam said:

Yes, I use -force-d3d11 because TextureReplacerReplaced says it's a must when I load up the game.

For testing puroses, uninstall texture replacer and remove the startup parameter. AFAIK the 8k clouds cannot be handeld by dx11, so this might be the reason for your issue.

edit: @1990eam I just successfully reproduced this issue by activating -force-d3d11. Like you said, the issue just appears with KS3P installed but now, we have to add dx11 to the description. As a result: KS3P cannot handle dx11, so I'm afraid you have to choose between one of them.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

47 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

For testing puroses, uninstall texture replacer and remove the startup parameter. AFAIK the 8k clouds cannot be handeld by dx11, so this might be the reason for your issue.

Thanks! Removing the  -force-d3d11 parameter worked. It's actually TexturesUnlimited the mod that requires to use dx11, my bad.

13 hours ago, 1990eam said:

Thanks! Removing the  -force-d3d11 parameter worked. It's actually TexturesUnlimited the mod that requires to use dx11, my bad.

Crap really? The whole reason I switched from SweetFX (DX9) to this was so I could use Texures Unlimited... :( 

21 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Crap really? The whole reason I switched from SweetFX (DX9) to this was so I could use Texures Unlimited... :( 

Yeah and using OpenGl breaks KS3P in the same way dx11 does. 

I'm just using dx9 and have yet to find what graphics are rendered incorrectly, so there's that.

Hi. Great mod!

I still have to tweak stuff. But one that I've noticed is an extreme flicker laser show on specular lights, it seems. 

Especially when a kerbal is on an EVA, their suit becomes a disco ball.

I assume I have to lower the intensity values? I am also not sure if I should turn off some of the options in the .cfg.

I'll dig through the pages here. For sure somebody had this issue already xD

20 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

lets say i am working an an interior for a spacecraft using stock parts only to test it and find that this mod blurs things at a short distance! help?

Don’t use this mod while in development? Or disable the depth of field in the cfg

19 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

lets say i am working an an interior for a spacecraft using stock parts only to test it and find that this mod blurs things at a short distance! help?

Probably Bloom or Depth of Field. Go through your KS3P config file and look for the IVA entry. It contains several nodes like 'Bloom' or 'Depth_Of-Field'.

Bloom: reduce intensity and radius
Depth of Field: reduce focus distance or disable it (remove the node or write // in front of each line

On 9/1/2018 at 3:28 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

Probably Bloom or Depth of Field. Go through your KS3P config file and look for the IVA entry. It contains several nodes like 'Bloom' or 'Depth_Of-Field'.

Bloom: reduce intensity and radius
Depth of Field: reduce focus distance or disable it (remove the node or write // in front of each line

couldnt find depth node for EVA. yeah, i am working on an interior where kerbals can walk around.

2 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

couldnt find depth node for EVA. yeah, i am working on an interior where kerbals can walk around.

Sounds interesting, would be fun to run around in spaceships :)

Do you define a new gamescene for your mod or do you use the EVA gamescene? Depending on what you do, you may have to play around with Bloom in your EVA node or the 'scene 4' node which will be used for every gamescene not defined in previous nodes.

If modifications to the Bloom doesn't help either, you probably have to disable different entries step by step to find out which one will causes the issue.

@EndTraveler You can also define different profiles (different settings) which can be manually switched in game. You just need to copy the whole config file, rename it and change the settings to a working configuration for your mod. There are also hotkeys to enable/disable the mod ingame, the keybindings are defined in the settings.cfg of KS3P.

This would be at least a workaround, maybe you can even manage to disable the mod or load a different config during a scene switch (I don't know who difficult that would be).

• 2 weeks later...

The Anti Aliasing options can be removed.

Why? Because Kerbal Space Program uses the forward rendering path, so MSAA (or similar) is done in hardware / the driver, rather than in the post processing step. Only Deferred rendering needs to do this in the Post / Compositioning step.

So you will have the 8x Anti aliasing setting that you set in the settings, regardless of what is in the config. At worst, the double AA will only drain performance and image crispness.

Overall, GREAT MOD, but the settings are all dialed to 11. For instance, Lens Dirt, unless on maybe a rover, should be Intensity 1 or 2. 

I find the Flight scene is too dark, I made the vignette a lot more subtle (Intensity = 0.15) and that helped. I also set Post_Exposure but I am not sure if that parameter actually is understood. Post exposure of 0.25-1.0 is a great value to make the scenes really pop when they are illuminated.

Not sure the Depth of Field is used well, it could be used to give the game a beautiful tilt-shift ("little toy train set") look.

Depth of Field, by the way, is computationally extremely expensive, so saying this mod "doesn't need a lot of GPU power" is not accurate.

Eye Adaptation is probably also rather expensive; and I am not sure it improves too much. I set the Max Luminance to 16 because it was cutting off the brighter lights somehow.

But the other effects are generally very tolerable even on very old hardware.

Now an effect that could MASSIVELY improve the look of the game would be Ambient Occlusion (the most expensive of the effects to be done in Postprocessing), not sure if Unity 5.4 had that already.

Edited by Thygrrr

I don't remember what i have done to make KS3P works with D3D11 but this is my working config:

Spoiler

KS3P
{
 Name = Default

//Profile for the SPH & VAB
 SETUP
 {
  Scene = VAB
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA //Can also be 'TAA' (Temporal Anti Aliasing)
   Quality = 4
   //Quality legend:
   //0: extreme performance
   //1: performance
   //2: default
   //3: quality
   //4: extreme quality

//Default TAA settings
   //Jitter = 0.75
   //Blend_Stationary = 0.95
   //Blend_Motion = 0.85
   //Sharpen = 0.3
  }
  Bloom
  {
   //Bloom settings
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 0.89
   Radius = 6.5
   Soft_Knee = 0.78
   Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
   Dirt_Enabled = true
   Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
   Dirt_Intensity = 4
  }
  Color_Grading
  {
   Preset = ACES
  }
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5, 0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.41
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.46
   //Rounded = false
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }

SETUP
 {
  Scene = SPH
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA //Can also be 'TAA' (Temporal Anti Aliasing)
   Quality = 4
   //Quality legend:
   //0: extreme performance
   //1: performance
   //2: default
   //3: quality
   //4: extreme quality

//Default TAA settings
   //Jitter = 0.75
   //Blend_Stationary = 0.95
   //Blend_Motion = 0.85
   //Sharpen = 0.3
  }
  Bloom
  {
   //Bloom settings
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 0.89
   Radius = 6.5
   Soft_Knee = 0.78
   Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
   Dirt_Enabled = true
   Dirt_Intensity = 3
  }
  Color_Grading
  {
   Preset = ACES
  }
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5, 0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.41
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.46
   //Rounded = false
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }

//Profile for flight
 SETUP
 {
  Scene = Flight
  Bloom
  {
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 1.73
   //Radius = 4.27
   Radius = 2.1
   Soft_Knee = 0.872
   Threshold = 1.1
   Dirt_Enabled = True
   Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt01
   Dirt_Intensity = 4
  }
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA
   Quality = 4
  }
  Depth_Of_Field
  {
   Focus_Distance = 10
   Aperture = 25.7
   Use_Camera_FOV = False
   Focal_Length = 149
   Kernel_Size = 3
  }
  Color_Grading
  {
   Preset = ACES
  }
  //Eye_Adaptation
  //{
   //Luminosity_Minimum = -6
   //Luminosity_Maximum = 14
   //Maximum_EV = -5
   //Minimum_EV = 1
   //Dynamic_Key_Value = False
   //Type = 0
   //Speed_Up = 2
   //Speed_Down = 1
   //Range = 0.5,1
   //Key_Value = 0.3
  //}
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5,0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.366
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.657
   //Rounded = False
   //Mask = KS3P/Textures/Null
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }

SETUP
 {
  Scene = EVA
  Bloom
  {
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 1.73
   //Radius = 4.27
   Radius = 2.1
   Soft_Knee = 0.872
   Threshold = 1.1
   Dirt_Enabled = True
   Dirt_Intensity = 4
  }
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA
   Quality = 4
  }
  Color_Grading
  {
   Preset = ACES
  }
  //Eye_Adaptation
  //{
   //Maximum_EV = -5
   //Minimum_EV = 1
   //Type = 0
   //Speed_Up = 2
   //Speed_Down = 1
   //Range = 0.5,1
   //Key_Value = 0.3
  //}
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5,0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.366
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.657
   //Rounded = False
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }

SETUP
 {
  Scene = IVA
  Bloom
  {
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 1.73
   Radius = 4.27
   Soft_Knee = 0.872
   Threshold = 1.1
   Dirt_Enabled = True
   Dirt_Intensity = 3
  }
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA
   Quality = 4
  }
  //Eye_Adaptation
  //{
   //Maximum_EV = -5
   //Minimum_EV = 1
   //Type = 0
   //Speed_Up = 2
   //Speed_Down = 1
   //Range = 0.5,1
   //Key_Value = 0.3
  //}
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5,0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.366
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.657
   //Rounded = False
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }

SETUP
 {
  Scene = MainMenu
  Bloom
  {
   //Bloom settings
   Anti_Flicker = false
   Intensity = 0.35
   Radius = 1.7
   Soft_Knee = 1
   Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
   Dirt_Enabled = true
   Dirt_Intensity = 4
  }
  Color_Grading
  {
   Preset = ACES
  }
 }
 SETUP
 {
  Scene = KSC
  Bloom
  {
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 1.73
   Radius = 4.27
   Soft_Knee = 0.872
   Threshold = 1.1
   Dirt_Enabled = True
   Dirt_Intensity = 3
  }
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA
   Quality = 4
  }
  Depth_Of_Field
  {
   Focus_Distance = 10
   Aperture = 25.7
   Use_Camera_FOV = False
   Focal_Length = 149
   Kernel_Size = 3
  }
  //Eye_Adaptation
  //{
   //Maximum_EV = -5
   //Minimum_EV = 1
   //Type = 0
   //Speed_Up = 2
   //Speed_Down = 1
   //Range = 0.5,1
   //Key_Value = 0.3
  //}
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5,0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.366
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.657
   //Rounded = False
   //Mode = 0
  //}
 }
 SETUP
 {
  Scene = 4
  Bloom
  {
   Anti_Flicker = true
   Intensity = 1.73
   Radius = 4.27
   Soft_Knee = 0.872
   Threshold = 1.1
   Dirt_Enabled = True
   Dirt_Intensity = 4
  }
  Anti_Aliasing
  {
   Mode = FXAA
   Quality = 4
  }
  //Eye_Adaptation
  //{
   //Maximum_EV = -5
   //Minimum_EV = 1
   //Type = 0
   //Speed_Up = 2
   //Speed_Down = 1
   //Range = 0.5,1
   //Key_Value = 0.3
  //}
  //Vignette
  //{
   //Center = 0.5,0.5
   //Color = 0,0,0,1
   //Intensity = 0.366
   //Opacity = 1
   //Roundness = 1
   //Smoothness = 0.657
   //Rounded = False
   //Mode = 0
  //}
  Color_Grading
  {
   preset = ACES
  }
 }
}

14 hours ago, Thygrrr said:

Now an effect that could MASSIVELY improve the look of the game would be Ambient Occlusion (the most expensive of the effects to be done in Postprocessing), not sure if Unity 5.4 had that already.

My config uses it, check out the relevant line if you want to enable it in your own game, my post is back a few pages.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

[EXC 13:39:34.827] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[Camera] ()
    GameObjectExtension.GetComponentCached[Camera] (UnityEngine.Component component, UnityEngine.Camera& cache)
    InternalCamera.get_isActive ()
    KS3P.Core.KS3P+<FlightCameraManager>d__30.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

I see a lot of these in my logs. This is not acceptable, you should handle the errors gracefully, or, much better even, address how they can happen in most cases (and handle things such as corrupt configs gracefully).

And a lot of these:

[EXC 13:40:01.950] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KS3P.Data.KS3PProfile.Parse (System.String tex, .GameDatabase database)
	KS3P.Data.KS3PProfile.Generate ()
	KS3P.Data.KS3PProfile.op_Implicit (KS3PProfile profile)
	KS3P.Data.KS3PBundle.GetProfile (KS3PScene scene)
	KS3P.Core.KS3P.GetProfile (GameScenes data)
	KS3P.Core.KS3P+<CameraPatchManager>d__31.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

The game seems to "run" fine, except at some rare times, the postprocessing stack doesn't fully load (usually the ACES mapper is set to neutral instead of filmic, this is how I can tell)

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

My config uses it, check out the relevant line if you want to enable it in your own game, my post is back a few pages.

Awesome, thanks so much!

On 7/7/2018 at 9:42 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

The Unity documentation refers to a "Neutral" preset color grading mode which is what I have on now. Honestly not sure if it's actually doing anything really?

"Filmic" is the best staightforward color grader if you want to make colours, highlights and shadows pop a good deal more.

Edited by Thygrrr

Hey, here's a request:

Could you extend your mod to allow editing the following values (ordered by importance):

1.  Camera Near and Far Clip Planes

2.  Camera Shadow Types, Ranges, and especially Shadow Bias / Normal Bias

3. Quality Settings - Shadow Cascade config (not the number, but rather the portioning of the 2 or 4 cascades)

4. Camera FOV

(I might fork it otherwise or provide a pull request, depending on what you prefer)

Edited by Thygrrr

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.