17 minutes ago, mcbmaestro said:

This mod is so great.  Been messing with settings and added a film grain effect to the comm center to give it that degraded signal look!

It's been impossible to stop messing around with stuff since I started playing with DoF etc.

That's really cool.

Is it affecting the UI controls too?

4 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

That's really cool.

Is it affecting the UI controls too?

No it only affects whats in the 3d camera part of it not the UI. :)  It was so easy to do just added a few lines to the KS3P config file.

Ok well I didn't do it right I mean I added it to "scene = 4" and while it appeared to work initially---I read White Gaurdian's long explanation of what scene = 4 is/means.. and my tiny brain muscles bunched up real fast suffice to say I'm now certain it's NOT the correct way to add an effect to the tracking station based on what I read.

I tried to create a new entry for "trackstation" a valiant effort but to no avail.

I will try to read through all that information on page 23 again later and probably a few more times but honestly I'm fine just waiting for the next update since all that code and explanation might just be a bit much for me.  I did learn one thing tho:  I'm now sure I made lockdown mode turn on more than a few times lol.

Btw, I read a lot in this thread about people trying to get motion blur working.. did anyone have any luck?

Edited by mcbmaestro

On 2/23/2019 at 10:26 PM, jrodriguez said:

That is very strange regarding Scatterer. You should do a stock test with only Scatterer to ensure that it is not a interaction between others mods.

If you substitute your whole game data folder with mine it should work fine (it is my custom RO setup for KSP 1.6)

by the way i have a question that you may know the answer, after having your folder instead of mine, the parts that i wrong textures unlimited shader, lost some of it's reflection and became more vanilla looking, they still are different but much less reflective, do you know why that could have happened?

6 hours ago, mcbmaestro said:

No it only affects whats in the 3d camera part of it not the UI. :)  It was so easy to do just added a few lines to the KS3P config file.

Ok well I didn't do it right I mean I added it to "scene = 4" and while it appeared to work initially---I read White Gaurdian's long explanation of what scene = 4 is/means.. and my tiny brain muscles bunched up real fast suffice to say I'm now certain it's NOT the correct way to add an effect to the tracking station based on what I read.

I tried to create a new entry for "trackstation" a valiant effort but to no avail.

I will try to read through all that information on page 23 again later and probably a few more times but honestly I'm fine just waiting for the next update since all that code and explanation might just be a bit much for me.  I did learn one thing tho:  I'm now sure I made lockdown mode turn on more than a few times lol.

Btw, I read a lot in this thread about people trying to get motion blur working.. did anyone have any luck?

looked from page 20, can't find the details about scene 4, can you mark it?

Had to share another few pics I grabbed with this mod.

Although I prefer the Neutral colour grading for normal play, I really like the moody look it (and the lens dust) gives these cockpit shots.

h8Fypij.png

c7a4d1c.png

Plus the depth of field is working well for action shots.

uZgtP7U.png

On 2/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, jrodriguez said:

@The White Guardian If you can push your code to a Dev branch I will perform some testing to see if I can find something

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, but I've lacked the time to work on KS3P as much as I would've liked. In any case I'll push my progress over to GitHub tomorrow first thing in the morning. Here's hoping you can find the tripping wire that seems to be hidden in the code.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, The White Guardian said:

2. In-game, use Alt + 3 to open up the KS3P GUI.

I'm not having any luck getting this GUI to open, although the KS3P log file seems to indicate that it is loading all of the profiles correctly.

I am also not getting any effects on the main menu, nor the KSP. I'm using V5.0 with KSP 1.6.1 on Windows 10 and an Nvidia Quadro M1200 and DirectX 12.

13 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Are you actually forcing dx12?

No, I am running directly from the KSP exe with no arguments.

EDIT: Okay, I figured out by looking at the Settings.cfg file that Alt-2 and Alt-3 Enable and Disable the effects respectively. Thats why I wasn't seeing them. I haven't been able to bring up the profile GUI though. Alt-0 brings up EVE.

Edited by asaurus1

I have a hypothesis as to what might be going wrong with the current development build of KS3P. I'm going to do some quick testing as I've as of yet lacked the time to experiment with my theory. I'll get back to everyone ASAP.

Edited by The White Guardian

Result of my experiment:

GOTTEM!

KS3P works perfectly well! Here's the root of the problem: I wasn't forcing DX11. In steps, here's what my hypothesis entailed:

1. The shaders are built for DX11

2. I start KSP without forcing DX11 so it instead runs DX9 or DX10 or whatever KSP uses by default (I'm going to guess DX10 for the purposes of this explanation)

3. KS3P initializes the shaders.

4. Unity tries to apply the shaders, but finds that the shaders request DX11 yet are asked to run on a GPU offering DX10 at best due to the program, but Unity doesn't know this and assumes that this means that the GPU doesn't support DX11 at all.

5. The shaders are marked as incompatible with the current hardware and thus Unity tries to load the fallback shaders assigned to the "incompatible" shaders.

6. The post-processing shaders have no fallback assigned, thus Unity essentially reaches for a non-existent shader.

7. This GPU-side nullref is caught by Unity through instead applying the shader Unity always reverts to when it tries to use a non-existant shader: 'Hidden/InternalErrorShader', which produces a pink output.

@jrodriguez outstanding work on the shaders, they work beautifully in DX11. The problem was that I didn't think it problematic to run DX11 shaders on a gpu forced to offer DX10 or DX9. Kinda like trying to run an application built for Windows 10 on Windows XP. I'll have to write a small patch to load non-DX11 shaders when not running DX11, then it should be good to go.

This should effectively cover using DX11, OpenGL or both.

Here's a screenshot taken minutes ago on KSP 1.4.1, running DX11, with very exaggerated effects.

https://imgur.com/zZGE1Sf

It also shows the in-game editor at work because yes, all those effects were configured in-game.

(Side note: the editor is opened by first holding down '3', then pressing left alt. Definitely not optimal, will be changing this and making it user-configurable)

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Result of my experiment:

GOTTEM!

KS3P works perfectly well! Here's the root of the problem: I wasn't forcing DX11. In steps, here's what my hypothesis entailed:

2. I start KSP without forcing DX11 so it instead runs DX9 or DX10 or whatever KSP uses by default (I'm going to guess DX10 for the purposes of this explanation)

4. Unity tries to apply the shaders, but finds that the shaders request DX11 yet are asked to run on a GPU offering DX10 at best due to the program, but Unity doesn't know this and assumes that this means that the GPU doesn't support DX11 at all.

5. The shaders are marked as incompatible with the current hardware and thus Unity tries to load the fallback shaders assigned to the "incompatible" shaders.

6. The post-processing shaders have no fallback assigned, thus Unity essentially reaches for a non-existent shader.

7. This GPU-side nullref is caught by Unity through instead applying the shader Unity always reverts to when it tries to use a non-existant shader: 'Hidden/InternalErrorShader', which produces a pink output.

@jrodriguez outstanding work on the shaders, they work beautifully in DX11. The problem was that I didn't think it problematic to run DX11 shaders on a gpu forced to offer DX10 or DX9. Kinda like trying to run an application built for Windows 10 on Windows XP. I'll have to write a small patch to load non-DX11 shaders when not running DX11, then it should be good to go.

Here's a screenshot taken minutes ago on KSP 1.4.1, running DX11, with very exaggerated effects.

It also shows the in-game editor at work because yes, all those effects were configured in-game.

(Side note: the editor is opened by first holding down '3', then pressing left alt. Definitely not optimal, will be changing this and making it user-configurable)

Nice one @The White Guardian . Maybe I forgot to state that constraint. The shaders were compiled with the #pragma target 5.0 (dx11 shader model)  and that means that it will not work without a GPU supporting DX11.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, The White Guardian said:

Result of my experiment:

GOTTEM!

Now I'm wondering if it was some sort of related to my gpu crash issue, tbh, right now i had to put ks3p and scatterer out of the installation, each one of them causes a crash, forcing to opengl would cause pink everything using ks3p without a crash so.... looks like even the dx11 compilation still have some issues when you force to dx11. because when i was using the opengl force, yes, the default error shader (pink) was shown everywhere but no crashes. move to dx11.... booom. but it only happens if you have other beutifying mods like eve and svt. on vanilla + ks3p.... it survives for some reason !

Is it me, or are we not able to pull up the in-game GUI to edit the look of the scenes?

I'm running the version from CKAN (v5.0) on KSP 1.6.1. I'm also using the DX11 (-force-d3dll).

And can someone confirm, if I edit the CFG file directly, does this do anything in the latest version?

Edited by scottadges

1 hour ago, scottadges said:

Is it me, or are we not able to pull up the in-game GUI to edit the look of the scenes?

I'm running the version from CKAN (v5.0) on KSP 1.6.1. I'm also using the DX11 (-force-d3dll).

And can someone confirm, if I edit the CFG file directly, does this do anything in the latest version?

The new version which will contain the ingame GUI is not released yet and the current version does not play well with dx11.

For now, you can try the version from @jrodriguez

1 minute ago, scottadges said:

Thank you! I saw that one, but wasn't sure if that was the best to use, etc. I'll give that one a try!

As far as I know, this is the only version right now which is capable to handle dx11 properly. So, if you need to enforce dx11 for another mod like textures unlimited, this is the way to go but if you enabled dx11 just for KS3P, I would suggest to keep using dx9 instead. That's just my personal opinion based on bad experience in general with dx11 in KSP, can be totally different for you ;) 

So after loading the version recommended above... I got a big pink screen when I loaded KSP.

It's probably something in my settings... but rather than troubleshoot, I'm going back to the CKAN version, which worked just fine for me before.

Looking forward to updates and thanks for all the awesome work on this mod! It's become a must-have for me now. Great work!

It took almost a whole day of tweaking configs and NRE's, but now I've got KS3P running fine in concert with Scatterer + EVE + PlanetShine + Texture Replacer +Textures Unlimited  on a GTX 660 (DX11 for TU). It makes me very happy to see this running on my aged hardware! :)

A big thank you, @The White Guardian for this great mod. And some big thanks to all you guys posting configs to learn from, and start with!

Spoiler

Edited by plonk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.