9 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Hi,

This mod seems fantastic, but as indicated on first page it was designed for KSP 1.4.2.

What about compatibility against KSP 1.4.3 (for anybody here having tested it as is in 1.4.3) ?

Thanks in advance.

Works fine for me in 1.4.3

12 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Hi,

This mod seems fantastic, but as indicated on first page it was designed for KSP 1.4.2.

What about compatibility against KSP 1.4.3 (for anybody here having tested it as is in 1.4.3) ?

Thanks in advance.

There's no difference in how it works, or reason not to run it in 1.4.3 :) 

Enjoy!

I was playing around again with the unity editor and by using the very same version which is used by KSP 1.4 (Unity 2017.1.3p1), I was finally able to use Ambient Occlusion, but it is still pretty hard to write the correct entries into the KS3P config file since the default config does not contain any entries for Ambient Occlusion (and some other features).

So I decided to write an example file, containing all available effects and settings. But I'm pretty bad in reading source code and I got a bit confused by some enumerators (looks like some are different to the enumerators used by unity, i.e. for the sample counts used by Ambient Occlusion). It's still a pretty raw file and I keep working on it, but maybe it helps already some others to add some nice effects to their config.

@The White Guardian Would be nice if you can also take a look at the file and maybe help me a bit with some missing value entries? Settings which require multiple numbers like the ColorMixer are a bit confusing to me.

File is available in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqm2v1pmubqpkf/[WIP]example config.txt?dl=0

@4x4cheesecake I can't look at it rn, but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Furthermore, I'm working on a 'write script' for the unity editor that converts a post-processing profile into a KS3P config file so you don't have to do the writing yourself.

Edited by The White Guardian

6 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@4x4cheesecake I can't look at it rn, but I'll have a look tomorrow.

Furthermore, I'm working on a 'write script' for the unity editor that converts a post-processing profile into a KS3P config file so you don't have to do the writing yourself.

Oh, that will be a nice tool :) Thought about writing such a tool by myself after figuring out the structure of the config file but to be honest, that would take me a month or more :D

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Hi all! I had installed this mod in its v3.x form during my last campaign and loved it so much. Now after a long period of absence I am preparing to begin a new career. I see that the default config that ships with the mod is a "tech demo" in @The White Guardian's own words. So far in the thread only @Osmium has shared a more refined config despite @The White Guardian's ongoing efforts to make their mod friendly towards distribution of more personalized configurations. In the time since v3 that I haven't played I was expecting to come back to this thread to find many ks3p configs being distributed a la eve and various visual packs. :)

So, does anyone have anything to share? :)

PS: Please don't take this in an entitled and demanding way. Its just that I know that I am not at all artistically talented :)

Edited by canisin

1 hour ago, canisin said:

So, does anyone have anything to share? :)

I'm by no means an expert by I manage to bumble my way into a config that I personally like. Its a fairly mild config that removes everything except for bloom (with lens dirt), FXAA, and Depth of Field. The bloom is pretty tame too.

I use this with a high res skybox and the brightness is fine. I have distant object enhancement with dynamic sky brightness turned on and maximum brightness set to 90%.

The config file might be a bit messy as I never intended to share and was just mucking about.

Spoiler

KS3P
{
    Name = Effects1

//Profile for the SPH & VAB
    SETUP
    {
        Scene = VAB
        Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA //Can also be 'TAA' (Temporal Anti Aliasing)
            Quality = 4
            //Quality legend:
            //0: extreme performance
            //1: performance
            //2: default
            //3: quality
            //4: extreme quality

//Default TAA settings
            //Jitter = 0.75
            //Blend_Stationary = 0.95
            //Blend_Motion = 0.85
            //Sharpen = 0.3
        }
        Bloom
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.5
            Radius = 1

Soft_Knee = 0.95

Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = false
            Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/LensDirt02
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

}

SETUP
    {
        Scene = SPH
        Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA //Can also be 'TAA' (Temporal Anti Aliasing)
            Quality = 4
            //Quality legend:
            //0: extreme performance
            //1: performance
            //2: default
            //3: quality
            //4: extreme quality

//Default TAA settings
            //Jitter = 0.75
            //Blend_Stationary = 0.95
            //Blend_Motion = 0.85
            //Sharpen = 0.3
        }
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

}

//Profile for flight
    SETUP
    {
        Scene = Flight
        Bloom
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 3

Soft_Knee = 0.78

Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA
            Quality = 4
        }
        Depth_Of_Field
        {
            Focus_Distance = 10
            Aperture = 25.7
            Use_Camera_FOV = False
            Focal_Length = 149
            Kernel_Size = 3
        }

}

SETUP
    {
        Scene = EVA
        Bloom
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA
            Quality = 4
        }

}

SETUP
    {
        Scene = IVA
        Bloom
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA
            Quality = 4
        }

}

SETUP
    {
        Scene = MainMenu
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

}

SETUP
    {
        Scene = KSC
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA
            Quality = 4
        }
        Depth_Of_Field
        {
            Focus_Distance = 10
            Aperture = 25.7
            Use_Camera_FOV = False
            Focal_Length = 149
            Kernel_Size = 3
        }

}
    SETUP
    {
        Scene = 4
        {
            //Bloom settings
            Anti_Flicker = true
            Intensity = 0.6
            Radius = 4.5
            Soft_Knee = 0.78
            Threshold = 1.13

//Lens dirt settings
            Dirt_Enabled = true
            Dirt_Intensity = 2
        }

Anti_Aliasing
        {
            Mode = FXAA
            Quality = 4
        }
    }
}

Some screenshots I happened to have on hand. Dont have A/B comparisons though. Looking at these you might not be able to even immediately tell that PP is going on but I prefer a subtle effect rather than my game looking like a classic episode of Doctor Who. Try the config and see if you like the difference it makes by toggling on and off.

4LUxdtH.png

Rocket plumes (here with real plume) get a nice glow about them. Even at the low bloom levels you will lose some detail from the centre of complicated sun flares. Its not as bad in space as it is in the atmo though.

kLNWKF8.png

Depth of field effects are well and present in this config

vCuWOQu.png

Can you tell there's post processing being applied? :) Open and full screen and see. Doesn't kill the skybox.

You could also add the following node for film grain in any scenes you like. It worked well for me in game but the screenshots look weirdly smeared unless supersampled. The super sampled screenshots while looking great unfortunately kill Scatterer lens flares due to a bug in Scaterrer. Its a known issue thats been worked on so when Scatterer fixes it I will add the grain node back in.

Spoiler

Grain
        {

Intensity = 0.775
            Luminance_Contribution = 1
            Size = 0.85
            Colored = True
        }

Wow! Thanks a lot @Zorg! These will sure come in handy. I think I can also use yours as a reference while looking at @Osmium's config and the config file I have in my backups from v3 of KS3P.

One question tho, I see that there is a config node for scene 4, which scene is that? All the others are clear from their names.

26 minutes ago, canisin said:

One question tho, I see that there is a config node for scene 4, which scene is that? All the others are clear from their names.

Not 100% sure, its just carried over from the default config. I only ever really cared about Flight, EVA and IVA. I just copied some of the changes I made into the other scenes without much specific regard. I think its Map view and or tracking station.

Btw I also tried Osmium's subtle.cfg but in my game at least everything looked dark (as in like something was smeared on the virtual lens) until I removed the chromatic aberration node. Maybe thats an effect thats configured differently in unity since they made that config or perhaps something to do with my specific install. Just a heads up in case you have the same issue and are left wondering what the cause is.

ps. The descriptions of the parameters in the unity manual ( I think this is the right version for KSP 1.4.x) was quite helpful in tuning the effects without actually downloading unity and while we wait for a GUI for KS3P

https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.1/Documentation/Manual/PostProcessing-Bloom.html

Thanks for the further information. Here is a little bit from me: Much earlier in the thread @Galileo had provided alternative textures for the lens dirt effect. You might give a try to them by changing the relevant lines in your config to Dirt_Tex = KS3P/Textures/Galileo_Textures/LensDirt*. ;)

On 5/5/2018 at 10:10 PM, HereComesTheBoom said:

I need to get back into KSP but holy hell from the pictures people are posting in this thread, THIS MOD LOOKS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

Your forum profile picture looks awesome - was that done using KS3P as well? If so, would you be willing to share your config? Thanks!

@The White GuardianI think I may have spotted a bug. While parsing for the Mask parameter of the Vignette node it seems that you should also be doing a null check after the try/catch. This is unlike what you have done with other similar parameters and it is causing a nullref to be thrown with your default config in the VAB and SPH.

Hi, I've noticed that when I pass above a few 100 kilometres, my view of kerbin becomes considerably darker? I have the vignette effect set to very weak in the config file, and it appears as if past that altitude it sets the vignette up to a higher intensity. Any ideas on how to fix? 

Thanks

Hey, You've done fantastic work on this. I used to use this mod when I was running 1.3.1, but since 1.4.x It's been completely bonkers. Observe:

Album /a/X6pAFDP will appear when post is submitted

I don't know if that's going to work. If it does you'll see some crazy visual artifacts. Usually, the game crashes before I get to the flight scene, I guess I was lucky this time. I have few other mods, the only other one that I reckon should be interfering with the graphics pipeline might be sigma's skybox replacement. I looked several pages back and don't see anyone else having this sort of trouble, just reams of extra-cool screenshots. In case it ends up not being user error on my part, I'm on linux with nvidia graphics.

I hope all this doesn't make me seem ungrateful, you've done stellar work.

Edited by Zacspace

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Spacedock doesn't work. Any other links?

Yikes, I see.
I'll upload a mirror to my Google Drive.

Edit: I just realized I always delete the compiled ZIP after uploading it to SpaceDock. Sorry, man - I'm going to have to re-compile it first.

Edited by The White Guardian

On 5/5/2018 at 6:42 AM, Kerbaderp said:

HOLY MOLY! :o 

What a brilliant mod. First TexturesUnlimited, now this. I can't handle all this eye candy anymore! ;) (and let's not forget EVE, SVE, SVT, scatterer and so on)

Mind blowing! THANK YOU @The White Guardian

I've made so much screenshots. Here are 'some' examples. Such great immersion.

Reveal hidden contents

LueI6js.jpg
VHIE8aF.jpg
3ZsYfS4.jpg
x2YSjEo.jpg
v2bGPNI.jpg
fWLxlr3.jpg
If84T6r.jpg
2NziTSz.jpg
whjGF7J.jpg
HVgOlaW.jpg

The complete album is here:

Reveal hidden contents

EDIT: Do I need to register at imgur to make save links? It seems with the link above any1 can delete the images.....

EDIT2: I can confirm that you have to delete all "Eye Adaptation"-entries in the config if you use the '-force-glcore' command line option (required for TexturesUnlimited). There are gamebraking issues without that fix.

@Ruedii

I found a config somewhere in the thread that works. Cannot find it right now.

Hey @The White Guardian!

I installed your mod and boy does it look awesome! With my potato  laptop at the very low end of the performance spectrum (4GB RAM, 1.8 GHz Dualcore and HD 620 integrated graphics), it was nice to see that it wasn't too taxing on the frames.

Unfortunately I average 30-40 FPS normally with ships in the 30-50 parts range, this was dropped to around 20ish with KS3P, making the game tricky to play. Nevertheless it's a great mod, if I got a better computer it would be installed on there for sure. 

If you have a reduced graphic config for better performance, let me know!

Edited by SiriusRocketry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.