• 2 weeks later...

I recently noticed some strange behaviour of the SSAO when on the Mun. There's two parts to this, first of which is that there seems to be a general occlusion of the surface being rendered, even when nowhere near something to occlude it. The second is that the parts of the rock objects on the surface appear to be rendered on top of the surface, but opaquely, but instead seems to blend in dependent on the camera angle. The closer the camera is to vertical to the surface, the greater the strength of the opacity of the submerged rock.

Here's some images to show what I mean.

Left SSAO is off, right is on.

O3rRz29.pngTg0QYnW.png

aCGoipx.png64ySOC8.png

To show that the visibility of the submerged part of the rock isn't a shadow, here is is from the lit side.

BqtVg9g.png

I checked to see if this occured on Kerbin, but it doesn't seem to (again left image is SSAO off, and right is on). As you can see the Mun images have a strong bright halo around the edge of the screen, due to the occlusion being limited to what's onscreen, but no halo is apparent in the Kerbin images.

lPhw1b2.pnghwRyDwW.png

Anyone else notice this happening on the Mun or other off home planet locations?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, Jovzin said:

Can I use this with reshade or not at all ? 

It is in fact possible to use it together with reshade. I use KS3P for the overall look and sometimes activate reshade on top for special scenes like when I need CRT scanlines and such. Not come across any conflicts. 

On 1/7/2020 at 4:34 AM, Manwith Noname said:

@purpleivan

I experienced something similar at KSC. I think it was after launching to the runway when the camera was at certain angles. Try disabling forward compatibility or high precision, or even both.

High precision is the culprit, as the large scale darkening of the Mun surface disappears when I disable it. However then occlusion between the surface and the vehicle is lost, but overall probably a win in screenshots.

Thanks.

Edited by purpleivan

On 12/22/2019 at 5:37 AM, mateusviccari said:

How do I save my edits? Every time I reload the game the configs get lost

Hello. I was able to save my edits by doing it manually, because it seems like there is a bug with 1.8.1 that resets your edits every time you restart the game.

After adjusting the settings for each profile, I clicked the "export" button, which saved a copy of the config file inside the Export folder, under GameData/KS3P. I would then open that config file in Notepad, copy the configurations, paste them inside the respective profile and save the config file.

Please let me know if that works for you or if you need additional instructions.

Cheers!

On 1/10/2020 at 2:54 AM, FunkyBigodon said:

Hello. I was able to save my edits by doing it manually, because it seems like there is a bug with 1.8.1 that resets your edits every time you restart the game.

After adjusting the settings for each profile, I clicked the "export" button, which saved a copy of the config file inside the Export folder, under GameData/KS3P. I would then open that config file in Notepad, copy the configurations, paste them inside the respective profile and save the config file.

Please let me know if that works for you or if you need additional instructions.

Cheers!

I actually did the same, but I only exported one of the profiles after changing it. 

It's not working for me in 1.8. I can't bring up the menu by pressing alt 3 and it's not having any effect at all. I have eve, astronomy visual pack, scatter

[Edit] Apparently it starts working after I uninstalled Astronomer's Visual Pack, Any of you got it to work with it?

[Edit] I found the solution, you just have to remove the ks3p file inside the Astronomer's Visual Pack folder...

Edited by Clef921

I have a question regarding the eye adaptation feature, and how it's handled, because there are a couple situations I know I want dynamic exposure for but aren't sure whether they're properly handled with your implementation and want to know for sure. Both would only occur in modded systems.

The first is a planet receiving light from two or more stars. Say it receives an earthlike amount of light from star A, and 1% of that from star B. Obviously when A is up B's light should be barely visible, but when only B is up it should appear pretty bright (indoor lighting is roughly 1000 times dimmer than full sunlight after all).

The second situation occurs for similar reasons, and is that of a compact (generally red dwarf) system, like TRAPPIST-1, where planets of significantly differing SMAs are clearly resolvable as discs from each other. For the example of TRAPPIST-1, h receives several times less light than b and so should look dimly lit from b (at least if b's sunlit surface can be seen concurrently), but when you are landed on h it should look well lit and b should similarly look really bright.

While I think the first might be done by your mod, I'm not sure how a modder should set up the intensity curves for their stars for it to be handled properly, and I'm not sure whether the second (or a situation combining the two) would be since it requires more than just brightening or dimming the whole scene.

Hi, anytime I have a custom preset in my ks3p folder the alt+3 menu stops working along with the mod altogether. I have tried reinstalling, the 'hotfix' patch and am running on 1.7.3 which should work fine. Is there anything else I can try because the few times I've had it working it has been jaw droppingly beautiful

Let white guardian work guys.  If lots of people have posted about your issue, but no one has responded with a fix the odds are it's being worked on.  Something will get posted.  Mods like this take a lot of time, and with 1.9 coming around the corner it's already planned to break a lot of mods the way 1.8 did.  I suspect a lot of authors are taking their time so they can keep from doing the same work twice, spending as much time just after the update as they did on this one.  I tried the "beta 3" which I'm appreciative of, because I didn't see this release for 1.7.3 when I had it, and the splendor that I saw made sure it's worth waiting for.  I sincerely appreciate the lack of patience, because it is a gorgeous mod and if you're used to it............... not having it would be a real blow.  My advice is to load a separate instance of KSP where it's compatible with the mod, and or wait for the mod to be compatible with your current release. lol.  I know that sounds a bit sarcastic here, and I'm sorry but I see a lot of authors not getting the proper thanks for all their hard work.  Drives me nuts.

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

What's your basis for this statement?

Since Unity isn't being updated in 1.9, there should be many fewer mod incompatibilities.

I completely left out a chunk of what was running through my head........ but you pretty much just added it thank you! lmao

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.