Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition - New Controller Presets

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_p1bxx4l8nQ1rr2wit_540.png

Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition is a new console version built from the ground up by Blitworks that incorporates the KSP 1.2.2 “Loud and Clear” update. This version includes a broad range of improvements and features that will enhance the overall game experience from prior updates, such as the introduction of CommNet and KerbNet, more tweakable options of many parts, a complete fuel system overhaul, and much more!

Exclusive to Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition, we are including completely reworked controller presets and User Interface that have been specially designed to be played on console with a controller, which offers players a slightly different choice of playstyle. In this article we will be going into depth about this exciting feature of the Enhanced Edition.

Controller Presets

Enhanced Edition will include three different presets that players will be able to switch between at any time during play: Simplified, Cursor and Radial. We want to give players the ability to choose the controller preset that fits their playstyle the most, and to be able to switch them at any time.

Additionally, players will be able to switch the Yaw and Roll settings on the fly independent of the preset the player has chosen. This will make the controls easier to handle when swapping between Space Plane and Rocket.

A new maneuver node control scheme has been included in all presets which uses the joysticks in combination with the Left and Right Bumpers for more precise and controlled maneuver node adjustments, instead of the cursor.

Of note is that while in flight, various dialogs and in particular the Part Action Windows have “modal focus”, which basically means that whenever accessed, all other functions may be blocked until the action has executed. Some of these will put the game into “bullet-time”, giving players more time to make their choices and tweaks.

Radial

The Radial controller is the default setup in the game and it splits the difference between the other two presets. While the cursor is still present, the use of button combinations has been scaled back thanks to a Radial Menu System that will allow players to access submenus and tweakables with the push of a button.

Simplified

The Simplified controller preset implements a Region Navigation and a “Look-at” System that allows access to  all submenus and tweakables without the use of a Cursor at all. With this preset, we are also giving players the ability to swap the Throttle setting from Triggers to Bumpers at any moment.

Cursor

The Cursor preset is similar to the controller layout used in the previous console versions and is cursor based. Using the left thumbstick, players can access buildings and submenus, select, place and tweak parts, and complete other functions.

Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition will be available on XboxOne and PlayStation 4 in January. Join us on Facebook, Twitter and our Forum for more updates and developments.

"Of note is that while in flight, various dialogs and in particular the Part Action Windows have “modal focus”, which basically means that whenever accessed, all other functions may be blocked until the action has executed. Some of these will put the game into “bullet-time”, giving players more time to make their choices and tweaks."

now this i find interesting and cant wait to see how it works.  Im hoping this will make my 4 launch completion of the skill tree a touch easier on console when it comes to clicking all the science experiments.

11 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Additionally, players will be able to switch the Yaw and Roll settings on the fly independent of the preset the player has chosen. This will make the controls easier to handle when swapping between Space Plane and Rocket.

YES!!! Finally a control scheme for Ace Combat players!

13 hours ago, SQUAD said:

tumblr_inline_p1bxx4l8nQ1rr2wit_540.png

Of note is that while in flight, various dialogs and in particular the Part Action Windows have “modal focus”, which basically means that whenever accessed, all other functions may be blocked until the action has executed. Some of these will put the game into “bullet-time”, giving players more time to make their choice.

Nice one, no more jumping around when extracting Science from Goocontainer or materailsbay, but does that mean i cant fly around with the contextmenu i.e. from a Cockpit open? 

Edited by PrvDancer85

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Exclusive to Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition, we are including completely reworked controller presets and User Interface that have been specially designed to be played on console with a controller, which offers players a slightly different choice of playstyle.

I'm glad the console players' patience is finally being rewarded... but... why exclusive? That doesn't make much sense.

There is a growing group of PC players who like using controllers - why not let them benefit from these options as well? You already have the code available.

This sounds great, starting to get a bit excited that we're almost there.   Is there a chance you'll be giving us the button layouts for these setups?   It would be nice to get a feel as to how each will work in a bit more depth prior to release.:cool:

Edited by OrganizedChaos

4 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

but... why exclusive?

Because they have an external company doing the work.

In order to bring those features back to PC... they would have to actually share the code between the two projects (which are really different games at this point, with vastly different codebases).  And still implement it into the PC version.  Who knows how much of the new control code relies on console-specific coding (which would need replaced); or how much of the code relies specifically on the KSP 1.2.2. code (which would need updated).

24 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Because they have an external company doing the work.

In order to bring those features back to PC... they would have to actually share the code between the two projects (which are really different games at this point, with vastly different codebases).  And still implement it into the PC version.  Who knows how much of the new control code relies on console-specific coding (which would need replaced); or how much of the code relies specifically on the KSP 1.2.2. code (which would need updated).

i hope it inspires them to try and add some of these features in the future. I'm looking at the maneuver nodes mostly.

5 hours ago, PrvDancer85 said:

Nice one, no more jumping around when extracting Science from Goocontainer or materailsbay, but does that mean i cant fly around with the contextmenu i.e. from a Cockpit open? 

this i wonder aswell, i often have part windows open during ascent.

one application im worried about is during eva.  speedclicking  the report/reset to try and catch an eva report in a tiny biome your flying over lol

kerbin mountains and bad lands come to mind, as well as minmus slopes and muns canyons lol  

49 minutes ago, DD_bwest said:

one application im worried about is during eva.  speedclicking  the report/reset to try and catch an eva report in a tiny biome your flying over lol

It does mention having "bullet time" (slow time) for when some windows/menus/dialogs are open

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Again are we getting to use the current scheme or no

19 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The Cursor preset is similar to the controller layout used in the previous console versions and is cursor based.

“Similar” is as close as you’re going to get I think.

32 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It does mention having "bullet time" (slow time) for when some windows/menus/dialogs are open

I dont think u will be getting "bullet-time" for an Eva Report. I would guess it,s for stuff that will influence ur crafts Performance, Like changing elevons max pitch, engine thrust and actiongroups. I guess

52 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

but if it goes into bullet time when you open your eva "part" window,  you then might need to close that window and reopen it so that you can move forward a bit more to test again.   on PC you can move your part window so the eva report button is at the same spot on your screen as the reset button,  so you can just repeatedly click until your in the right biome.  it would be alot more frustrating if you had to close that part window every time.

9 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I'm glad the console players' patience is finally being rewarded... but... why exclusive? That doesn't make much sense.

There is a growing group of PC players who like using controllers - why not let them benefit from these options as well? You already have the code available.

Chances are we're the guinea pigs, if they work out you guys might get them.

Alternatively, it could be as simple as it hasn't occurred to the that you'd want these control schemes

@SQUAD I may be the only person here on the forum, but I wish there would be keyboard support.

Maybe in a future update?

Both xbox and playstation detect USB keyboards, minecraft can be played with mouse and keyboard.

That said, having multiple controller layouts there will be something that could feel better to use than a keyboard, I just have to wait :-(

Edited by BGH9
Forgot something.