Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition - New Controller Presets

SQUAD

On 12/28/2017 at 1:07 AM, BGH9 said:

@SQUAD I may be the only person here on the forum, but I wish there would be keyboard support.

Maybe in a future update?

Both xbox and playstation detect USB keyboards, minecraft can be played with mouse and keyboard.

That said, having multiple controller layouts there will be something that could feel better to use than a keyboard, I just have to wait :-(

your not the only one,  there are a bunch of us who would love M+K support

Edited by DD_bwest

On 12/29/2017 at 7:41 PM, Timmy622 said:

Will I still jump to a different planet when I don’t mean to while holding the left or right shoulder buttons trying to do something precise? Causing me to have to jump back to my craft and zooming all the way back in again? 

Oh please Squad.. let this not be an issue anymore. Literally the most annoying thing.

Just now, Deddly said:

Since it's an entirely new port of the game, built from the ground up with no use of the FTE code, it's very unlikely that the same bugs will appear in the new release.

That makes me feel a lot better.

I'm masterfully controlling my impulse to say "I told you so" re: Flying Tiger Entertainment, Squad.

*COUGH*

Oh the plus side, at least the issue was recognized, and dealt with.  Kudos for that.  All too often people and companies try to bull through on a poor decision until the bitter end, instead of cutting their losses in a timely fashion.

1 hour ago, Kerbal007 said:

So is Kb/m not a thing ?? I dont have a pc right now and the ps4 control sucks

It wasn't before, and nothing has been mentioned yet regarding any changes.  IIRC, one of the reasons was because Xbox doesn't support kb/m, and they didn't want to give one console a feature that the other wouldn't have.

Edit:

Edited by klesh
went and found a link.

1 hour ago, klesh said:

It wasn't before, and nothing has been mentioned yet regarding any changes.  IIRC, one of the reasons was because Xbox doesn't support kb/m, and they didn't want to give one console a feature that the other wouldn't have.

Edit:

Xbox does support mouse and keyboard, I have minecraft on Xbox one and never used controller on it, always mouse and keyboard for at least half a year or so.

6 hours ago, BGH9 said:

Xbox does support mouse and keyboard, I have minecraft on Xbox one and never used controller on it, always mouse and keyboard for at least half a year or so.

Ah, so in the time since July of 2016 they must've added it.  That's good to hear and should make you hopeful of support since both console type do it now.  We've yet to hear anything from SQUAD, so I guess you'll find out in a week's time.

I find the PS4 controls to be crap to be honest.

The instructions in game are poor.  I spent 30 minutes just trying to figure out how to scrap a part in the VAB because the instruction manual in game doesn't mention it at all.  I shouldn't need to go onto the forum to find out how to play the game.

Even after I entirely delete the rocket from the pause menu (what idiot said it was a good idea to put it or the LAUNCH button in the pause menu should have been fired), it still shows up on the launch pad until I "recover" the space craft that I deleted.  How this wasn't "found" during the many months of debugging is beyond me...or further proving Squad overstated the work that was actually being performed.

I don't see a single smooth way to access science equipment mounted on the craft during flight (trying to get science while climbing in elevation) because I have to steer with my joystick, but then due to rotation I can't get hte cursor fast enough to touch something on the  craft. There is no short hand way to interact with equipment on the rocket.

I don't buy for a single second that this is a rebuild of the game.  This at best appears like they took the old version, and said...ok...correct the issues as best you can.

Finally, when these issues are identified, the Squad response is "we will fix it with a patch shortly"....meaning you knew the issues, and STILL sent it out the door.  Maybe the PC guys are ok with this, but with console games, you expect a finished product, this iterations crap is unacceptable.

Edited by Swacer

15 minutes ago, Swacer said:

I find the PS4 controls to be crap to be honest.

The instructions in game are poor.  I spent 30 minutes just trying to figure out how to scrap a part in the VAB because the instruction manual in game doesn't mention it at all.  I shouldn't need to go onto the forum to find out how to play the game.

Even after I entirely delete the rocket from the pause menu (what idiot said it was a good idea to put it or the LAUNCH button in the pause menu should have been fired), it still shows up on the launch pad until I "recover" the space craft that I deleted.  How this wasn't "found" during the many months of debugging is beyond me...or further proving Squad overstated the work that was actually being performed.

I don't see a single smooth way to access science equipment mounted on the craft during flight (trying to get science while climbing in elevation) because I have to steer with my joystick, but then due to rotation I can't get hte cursor fast enough to touch something on the  craft. There is no short hand way to interact with equipment on the rocket.

I don't buy for a single second that this is a rebuild of the game.  This at best appears like they took the old version, and said...ok...correct the issues as best you can.

Finally, when these issues are identified, the Squad response is "we will fix it with a patch shortly"....meaning you knew the issues, and STILL sent it out the door.  Maybe the PC guys are ok with this, but with console games, you expect a finished product, this iterations crap is unacceptable.

First, calm down a bit, second, your right that information in game when starting new game is limited, but there is a help button on every screen with all controls.

Yes there is room for improvement, but every new version of something will have a few things that need fixing, at least this time we are going to get updates, blitworks isn't abandoning the updating of console version.

You also have to remember that squad gives a version to Blitworks for converting to console (1.2.2 in this case), there's a lot involved into this because coding for pc and console is completely different. Blitworks had to come up with a complete new way of controlling various actions normal done with keyboard and mouse, and make them work on both consoles that only have 14 buttons and 2 joysticks, keeping this in mind and how previous version lacked any decent controller layout the current version is a large improvement.

The collecting of science could be made a bit smoother I agree, a easy way is to give it a "hotkey preset" (you can make 10 like you do on pc and they work fine, right button on your controller d pad to use them, left button is various other things like gears, lights, abort and staging)

Personally I do prefer the controller layout in a lot of cases but not always, that said I still hope for mouse/keyboard support in future update.

How do you have the game settings for controller?

I found that radial preset is the smoothest and gives option with a click of your left stick to switch to a cursor control.

Btw: I found your statement that this version is same as previous one terrible, I played old version and this current version is much better.

Edited by BGH9
Forgot something.

26 minutes ago, Swacer said:

To be fair, it's how I learned.

Even after I entirely delete the rocket from the pause menu (what idiot said it was a good idea to put it or the LAUNCH button in the pause menu should have been fired), it still shows up on the launch pad until I "recover" the space craft that I deleted.

I don't think this is a bug. When you deleted the craft, you deleted the saved file. The one on the launchpad had already been launched, so it doesn't need to refer to the saved craft file at all.

Yes, because they were able to patch the FTE version so well last time.

There are bugs, yes, but they are new bugs stemming from new code. Save corruption was presumably but a symptom of deep problems in the FTE codebase, and the FTE bugs came from them. Even if the bugs look similar to an end-user, they may—and often do—come from a variety of problems in the code.

They could call it "a finished product" right now if they wanted. Careful what you wish for.

Besides, you didn't honestly expect it to be completely bug-free, did you? Bug-free software doesn't exist above a certain complexity level, and KSP is much beyond that. Its console version is also a piece of new software, which means that it couldn't have been tested thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

To be fair, it's how I learned.

I don't think this is a bug. When you deleted the craft, you deleted the saved file. The one on the launchpad had already been launched, so it doesn't need to refer to the saved craft file at all.

Yes, because they were able to patch the FTE version so well last time.

There are bugs, yes, but they are new bugs stemming from new code. Save corruption was presumably but a symptom of deep problems in the FTE codebase, and the FTE bugs came from them. Even if the bugs look similar to an end-user, they may—and often do—come from a variety of problems in the code.

They could call it "a finished product" right now if they wanted. Careful what you wish for.

Besides, you didn't honestly expect it to be completely bug-free, did you? Bug-free software doesn't exist above a certain complexity level, and KSP is much beyond that. Its console version is also a piece of new software, which means that it couldn't have been tested thoroughly.

Yes  but the port was built from the ground up nothing from FTE exist.

9 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

The craft was never launched, never used, never even loaded for launch.  It was built in the VAB, then when I had exhausted all patience on how to delete a simple part, I used the pause menu to reset it.

So...how does it show up on the launch pad if it was never loaded there?

Bugs...countless bugs.  Thats how.  Glad I waited from July 2016 to January 2018 for the same garbage.  Whats worst, Take Two put their name on this...

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Yes  but the port was built from the ground up nothing from FTE exist.

Or so they claim...

Don't take me to be someone who is just out to trash this game, but rather someone who is tired of being disappointed.

Edited by Swacer

I feel like the new control and menu layout has multiple people confused.

I do have a YouTube channel so I'll try to do my best of making a clear tutorial on how to use menu's and controller in various situations.

Sadly I do have a cold at the moment so it may not be recorded this week, but a week waiting for a tutorial after years of waiting for a working console edition is worth I think.

4 minutes ago, Swacer said:

The craft was never launched, never used, never even loaded for launch.  It was built in the VAB, then when I had exhausted all patience on how to delete a simple part, I used the pause menu to reset it.

So...how does it show up on the launch pad if it was never loaded there?

Bugs...countless bugs.  Thats how.  Glad I waited from July 2016 to January 2018 for the same garbage.  Whats worst, Take Two put their name on this...

Or so they claim...

Ok, it's loads FAR SUPERIOR the Graphics are FAR SUPRIOR, and few few game killing bugs. Give them a month to patch it. After that then go ahead. The lighting as also far superior. It is all around a far superior version. Yes I've had the bugs too but a craft on the launch pad requires two clicks to get rid of. It isn't game killing. The only game killing bug I've found is when your controls are overridden. Yes bugs exist but the game hasn't even BEEN OUT 72 hours, that's why we have patches and bug fixes all Ames have them. Now how the Testers didn't find the control override bug I'm stumped on. If your having a problem quit to the space center and then load another game for a few seconds and then reload KSP. I've had to do it on both versions it resets a lot of the code being run in game so it may fix it. In the FTE version when I did it I would occasionally lose my progress. It's a risky way but if all else fails...

Just give the game a chance. I mean we got so much and they had to port a game from the ground up. I understand your frustration but if some bugs are too deep in the code and they are not game ending I can see why they would push it out the door. Because it just requires a quick fix. 

Indeed, these days no game comes finished. Day one patches and fixes for about 4-6 months are usual.

I am playing KSP since the FT version and can understand the fellow console players are dissapointed of the bugs and low communication from Squad about many questions.

Also I have to agree that the QA is underwhelming and the ingame help about the new control shemes are laughable.

Yes, give this game and the Devs the same time any other new game gets... even when it is hard because of the history of KSP on console.

I know its tempting to get the Torches and Pitchforks out already :)

Please Squad and Blitworks do your best to communicate with us.

Back to Topic:

Give us a sheet for all control shemes pls!

I am using the cursor sheme on Xbox and it seems there is no way at all to change focus view back to your Vessel after focusing a celestial body via click.

No cycle, no way back other than go back to ksc and tracking station...

Edited by Shadowrunner

3 hours ago, Shadowrunner said:

Back to Topic:

Give us a sheet for all control shemes pls!

I am using the cursor sheme on Xbox and it seems there is no way at all to change focus view back to your Vessel after focusing a celestial body via click.

No cycle, no way back other than go back to ksc and tracking station...

I noticed the same thing, wasn't sure if it was a bug or intentional that I couldn't cycle through viewing other celestial bodies.

To add some positivity, the gameplay seems much quicker and I was happy to see no limits on size and part counts. 

I did switch back to cursor mode however. Probably not fair to compare what you're used to using for the last year compared to a day, but I found the new radial system difficult. Probably give it another fair shake.

Edited by mpusch

47 minutes ago, mpusch said:

I noticed the same thing, wasn't sure if it was a bug or intentional that I couldn't cycle through viewing other celestial bodies.

To add some positivity, the gameplay seems much quicker and I was happy to see no limits on size and part counts. 

I did switch back to cursor mode however. Probably not fair to compare what you're used to using for the last year compared to a day, but I found the new radial system difficult. Probably give it another fair shake.

I actually really like the radial controls.  Once you get use to them there's a bunch of things you can do quicker, and I tend to make less errors as well.

Stupid question. I already happened to me several times, that during my flight my controls become locked.  I was not in cursor mode. There is no window opened. I could move camera, I could switch to map.... but throttle and staging controls were not working.

Is this a bug, or is there some other mode you can swithc with some shortcut (pressed by mistake)? And how to go back?

Thaks.

15 minutes ago, Agarwel said:

Stupid question. I already happened to me several times, that during my flight my controls become locked.  I was not in cursor mode. There is no window opened. I could move camera, I could switch to map.... but throttle and staging controls were not working.

Is this a bug, or is there some other mode you can swithc with some shortcut (pressed by mistake)? And how to go back?

Thaks.

Which control sheme you are using?

It sounds like you set your Vessel in "Precision Mode" the arrows of your Roll, Pitch and Yaw in the bottom left then are blue and not orange like normally.

In Cursor control sheme the shortcut to switch on and off are

L1+L3 

( LB+ left stick click )

---------------

Or you have locked the staging

Then the green light on the bottom left ist Purple-ish.

In Cursor sheme the shortcut is

Hold LB+A

Hope it helps.

Edited by Shadowrunner