Best Position For...

I usually try for the centre of mass or the middle of the stage that will be using the reaction wheels for pointing the nose because the craft will try and rotate around the reaction wheel - its not a big issue of you don't but it seems more responsive than chucking them at one end.

With really long craft, the reaction wheels controlled by the SAS system will react according the movement of the pod that is in control, not their own movement. This usually results in the top part of my rockets wobbling a little, but the bottom bit with reaction wheels flailing all over the place and getting worse as time goes on. The only solution I find is to turn off SAS and let it settle down on its own.

25 minutes ago, FrostedShoe said:

With really long craft, the reaction wheels controlled by the SAS system will react according the movement of the pod that is in control, not their own movement. This usually results in the top part of my rockets wobbling a little, but the bottom bit with reaction wheels flailing all over the place and getting worse as time goes on. The only solution I find is to turn off SAS and let it settle down on its own.

^ This is why I keep any reaction wheels as close as possible to the controller.

Best,
-Slashy

The other reason to put reaction wheels close to the controller is that they increase the amount of wobble in the craft, since they increase the number of joints. Unless you autostrut, putting a 2.5m module in the middle of the stack between 2.5m tanks can be very bad for wobble: the joints simply aren't strong enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.