Jettisoning Fairings

Not really anything complicated this time guys, just curious really, at what altitude do you pop open those fairings you have so carefully built around that nice new satellite?

As for me, I've never came across anyone really say what height to throw them off; I try to do it at around the 50K mark, but more often than not I forget and end up taking them into space.

In RSS/RO, I drop them when I've met the 100km mark, Sometimes the first stage burns out before that, so I drop them at a certain point on the second stage. Other times when the first stage goes past the 100km, I drop them right after stage seperation. 
I don't know if you use mechjeb or FAR? In those mods you can get some data of the dynamic pressure, when this reaches zero, it's save to drop them. 

Depends on the payload.  If it's not too bad, I might drop the fairing between 40 and 50km.  There's a few craft I've launched with payloads consisting of so many tiny radially mounted parts that even dropping the fairing at 65km resulted in noticeable loss of momentum.  Think of a lander bus with nine landers, each lander consisting of 20-30 parts, for example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.