Must be about time for a new update

Red Shirt

Made you look... Seriously though, I put off updating to 1.3 from 1.2.2 because of waiting for problems to surface and get fixed and for mods to update. Then talk of 1.3.1 started so I just held off. Finally took the plunge recently. I now have almost everything updated and set up just the way I like it. Actually it is even better than before. Only a few kinks left but man it looks awesome. So that means it must be about time to start the process all over again. Bring on 1.4! 

My new strat is that I play a career to completion/boredom on whatever version is current when I start it. 

I care not for the official release schedule, I just want to stop having to abandon games because all the mods broke after a Steam update :wink: 

I only update my KSP when there's major feature or overhaul (such as female kerbals in ver. 1.0 or commnet in 1.2), other than that, if the update seems minor or not adding much, I won't bother to update (mainly bug fix patches. hey, messing with bugs in this game has it's own excitement too). Currently I'm still using version 1.3 and have no plan on updating to 1.3.1. Especially when a minor update forced me to reinstall every mods since they broke on new version

I updated to 1.3 a few weeks ago... very, very happy with it! But I haven't gone to 1.3.1 yet because I received a head's up about a bug in 1.3.1 that might effect asteroids, and because Emiko Station is built into an asteroid, I'm not gonna take a chance. I'll wait until I'm sure it's been addressed before updating to 1.3.1.

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Bare in mind, I have little interest in Making History. 

I'm mostly interested in the new Mission Builder. I know there's going to be a lot of new parts to play with... but being able to create custom missions is what really excites me. I'll decide what to do about updating again once it comes out.

Edited by Just Jim

I stuck with 1.2.0 until 1.3.0 came out. Then I switched to 1.2.2. Then, when 1.3.1 came out, I switched to 1.3.0. I dont like upgrading. The only reason I went to 1.3.x in the first place was because a new cool BDA update required 1.3.0... Also, FAR was stuck at 1.2.x for a while. 

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I haven't gone to 1.3.1 yet because I received a head's up about a bug in 1.3.1

I hadn't seen any noise on the forum about a bug when I updated. The only one I'm seeing. and it is annoying at times, is the bouncing on physics load. I swear I never noticed it at first. Maybe it crept in with one of the mods. Can't comment on asteroids. 

I always wait to see if there are a lot of bug complaints and if not, for mods to update. Except for the above hopping, 1.3.1 has been nicely stable for me. I'm looking forward to 1.4 and the making history parts.

26 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

I hadn't seen any noise on the forum about a bug when I updated. The only one I'm seeing. and it is annoying at times, is the bouncing on physics load. I swear I never noticed it at first. Maybe it crept in with one of the mods. Can't comment on asteroids. 

I always wait to see if there are a lot of bug complaints and if not, for mods to update. Except for the above hopping, 1.3.1 has been nicely stable for me. I'm looking forward to 1.4 and the making history parts.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned on the forum anywhere... I got a pm from a good friend about it. Something about existing asteroids possibly becoming smaller... which I can't risk. I'm pretty sure it's already on the bug repair list... I need to check if it's been addressed yet. Once that's cleared up I'll look into upgrading to 1.3.1.

As for bouncing... I'm always wrestling with that one. 

I'm so burnt out on KSP at the moment that I don't really care. I'll probably wait a few months after 1.4 release and RO/RSS gets updated before upgrading.

1.4 will probably be a performance upgrade though, or at the very least make all the mods I use better due to better GC. I also think the particle system will get an overhaul? Might make for even cooler Real Plumes.

I've updated with each new version, but I haven't played seriously in a while. My play has been limited to playing around with an idea or two when the inspiration hits me, and I've barely bothered with mods so far.

I do have ideas for when development finally winds down and mod development stabilizes. To that end, I'm really starting to miss the days when games came out and maybe got a bug patch or two when that became possible, but were otherwise complete. I'm finding that I actually don't care very much for early access or continuing development game releases. For me, it sounds great on paper, but I have a harder time enjoying a game that keeps changing. I recognize that's completely on me and probably also why I've never been able to get into MMORPGs or similar games.

On 12/23/2017 at 2:07 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I mean, I have like double that many mods, never had a crash on 1.3.1?

i have played with 100+ mods in 1.3.1 and only had 1 crash

(the game takes an hour to load though)

Edited by Kerbal pancake

Yeah.....maybe it is time for 1.4 or at least 1.3.2. The devs need to do a few bug fixes. I don’t know if this has happened to anyone else, but in the editor, sometimes parts don’t want to attach to nodes and sometimes decide to attach themselves in really weird positions.

Given how heads-down they are with Making History expansion, my guess (gazing into my crystal ball) would be:

• there won't be another 1.3.x (because they're busy with Making History)
  • they'll put off 1.4 until fairly soon before Making History comes out (because they'll probably need it to enable the various Making History bells and whistles, and they won't necessarily know everything that Making History will need until it's pretty well gelled)

But that's just a total wild guess on my part, because I don't work for Squad and don't have any inside information about their release plans.  It's a slightly informed guess, in the general sense that shipping software is what I do for a living and so I have some awareness of the factors that typically go into deciding the timing of major and minor version releases, in general.  But it's heavily case-by-case and I could certainly be wrong here.  :)

57 minutes ago, Snark said:

Given how heads-down they are with Making History expansion, my guess (gazing into my crystal ball) would be:

• there won't be another 1.3.x (because they're busy with Making History)
  • they'll put off 1.4 until fairly soon before Making History comes out (because they'll probably need it to enable the various Making History bells and whistles, and they won't necessarily know everything that Making History will need until it's pretty well gelled)

But that's just a total wild guess on my part, because I don't work for Squad and don't have any inside information about their release plans.  It's a slightly informed guess, in the general sense that shipping software is what I do for a living and so I have some awareness of the factors that typically go into deciding the timing of major and minor version releases, in general.  But it's heavily case-by-case and I could certainly be wrong here.  :)

Yea, you're probably right. I'm kind of hoping they release 1.4 a few months before Making History to give modders time to catch up before the DLC comes out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.