Electrocutor's Thread

Electrocutor

4 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

So... I have a question for everyone. For a mod like AirplanePlus, do you prefer its current implementation of having one part per visual (and perhaps some slight changes to properties like mass) or would you prefer there to be a single sized part then scroll through the visuals via variants? So for example, simply have a single part named Mk1 Cockpit or Mk1 Inline Cockpit, then have 3 or four 4 visual options.

you should have possibility to build lighter and of course fragile planes, something like FAR wings... but should also apply to structures also.

My thoughts are to use a systematic approach to parts based on function, size, and type.

For example, function would be storage, type would be solid, liquid, or gas; and size would be 0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m, mk1, mk2, mk3

So the part you added would just be named "1.25m Liquid Tank" then you could scroll through the visual options by variant; and in this case, there would be an additional setting for Substance (since it is a container). So it would default to LFO, but could be changed to just LF (or others depending on what resources you have enabled in ksp).

Another example might be a "Small Radial Gas Tank" with visual options defaulting to look like the xenon or mono radial tanks, and being able to set it to Xenon or Monoprop.

----

If people have an interest in this, I can start with stock parts, then build scripts to convert existing mods into this same system, starting with Ven's, Porkjet's, and Proot's stuff.

18 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Go go Gadget...brain? Fingers? I'm not sure which appendage he would specify.

Does this signify that you think the idea would be too abstract to properly grasp and that most people would just prefer it the current way, where each part is its own part in the list?

Heh, no it was to suggest that it's a good idea that would probably require a lot of thought and coding, at least if I understood the concept correctly.

It would significantly reduce the part list when initially looking at it as all 1.25m cockpits (mods included) would be under one icon, same for every part. A relevant group icon rather than individual ones. Whether or not people would prefer cycling through variants from one icon or having the parts as they are generally in the current form as separate icons and filtering, I don't know.

53 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Heh, no it was to suggest that it's a good idea that would probably require a lot of thought and coding, at least if I understood the concept correctly.

It would significantly reduce the part list when initially looking at it as all 1.25m cockpits (mods included) would be under one icon, same for every part. A relevant group icon rather than individual ones. Whether or not people would prefer cycling through variants from one icon or having the parts as they are generally in the current form as separate icons and filtering, I don't know.

I know myself and @Beale have wanted something like that for a long time. :)

59 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Yeah, that would be seriously awesome!

Okay... I'll move forward with it then as time allows. I'm simultaneously working on a KSP-UnofficialPatch mod that does all sorts of random stuff that is missing or needs fixed. Like adding an orange foam variant to the Rockomax Nosecone, fixing the mis-sized fairing, adding missing tank sizes like Oscar 2 and 4, changing any parts cfgs that use mesh into using MODEL, adding all previous Squad models/textures as variants to their replacements, etc.

In response to @Manwith Noname I have Category "Command" broken into sub-categories "Cockpit", "Pod", and "Probe". So your parts would be:  1.25m Cockpit, 1.25m Pod, 1.25m Probe. I'd thought about also sub-categorizing capsules, but decided that most capsules should be their own part due to them being very different in size and properties (i.e. Cupola vs Cabin). It makes me think that a more technical term for my sub-categories is probably silhouette.

Some of them will need to be broken up a bit due to Variants not allowing property changes. For example, the Mk1-2 and Mk1-3 Pods are both the same silhouette, but have differing crew counts. I've made a small mod for allowing property changes, but I think for the sake of more people using it, I should keep this MM-only; but keep swaying on the issue due to it being really handy to be able to change a property or two between variants.

[Edit]
I'm also trying to see if there is a way to relate Variants to Upgrades as well, as this would allow a progressive unlock of better looking variants through the career. Imagine starting off with the cardboard box from Bargain Parts, then making your way through stock, proot, porkjet, and finally ending on Ven's for the mk1pod.

I have a partial mod locally that I made, but cannot release:

zMwHpSn.jpg

Edited by Electrocutor

On 04/04/2018 at 6:07 AM, Electrocutor said:

[Edit]
I'm also trying to see if there is a way to relate Variants to Upgrades as well, as this would allow a progressive unlock of better looking variants through the career. Imagine starting off with the cardboard box from Bargain Parts, then making your way through stock, proot, porkjet, and finally ending on Ven's for the mk1pod.

I have a partial mod locally that I made, but cannot release:

zMwHpSn.jpg

This is awesome, and pretty much what I'd want out of a variant / model switching mod!

Really like where you and Shadowmage are taking this. I can't believe Textures Unlimited managed to fly under my radar until just recently. I was aware of the program as a dependency of SSTU and some other mods. But I never really considered it something to be interested in unless you were a mod developer. Then I ended up on this thread and decided to try a couple of the configuration files you have on fist page here. Wow I don't know if it's possible to overstate how impressive this is ! I run on Linux and have always used -force-glcore  to maximize my game performance anyway so I cant speak to how this runs with DirectX? But It looks gorgeous on my system and I can hardly notice any performance difference running with or without it. just having texture replacer reflections enabled only for windows and solar panels used to come with a noticeable hit. And this does so much more for textures than just shining windows.  I really look forward to seeing what you guys do with this.  I don't want to take up your time. So feel completely free to ignore this post if you don't know?  Fixed it sorry No need to read my config . Hours looking at the configuration file shaking my head and then I made this post and saw the problem immediately  HA guess what they say about perspective is true . It was the syntax did not like the underscore _ in the folder names half had it others did not. I did not notice it when setting it up thanks If I'M right I'll post fixed pick's  CPes2Hq.png Fixed IT YESSS! who says the Rivited tanks are ugly.uz5S6Kb.png

Edited by Delbrutis
Solved the problem after the post

10 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

Really like where you and Shadowmage are taking this. I can't believe Textures Unlimited managed to fly under my radar until just recently. I was aware of the program as a dependency of SSTU and some other mods. But I never really considered it something to be interested in unless you were a mod developer. Then I ended up on this thread and decided to try a couple of the configuration files you have on fist page here. Wow I don't know if it's possible to overstate how impressive this is ! I run on Linux and have always used -force-glcore  to maximise my game performance anyway so I cant speak to how this runs with DirectX? But It looks gorgeous on my system and I can hardly notice any performance difference running with or without it. just having texture replacer reflections enabled only for windows and solar panels used to come with a noticeable hit. And this does so much more for textures than just shining windows.  I really look forward to seeing what you guys do with this.  I don't want to take up your time. So feel completely free to ignore this post if you don't know?  Fixed it sorry No need to read my config . Hours looking at the configuration file shaking my head and then I made this post and saw the problem immediately HA guess what they say about perspective is true . It was the syntax did not like _ in the folder names. Half had it others did not did not notice it when setting it up.  thanks If I'M right I'll post fixed pick's   Fixed IT YESSS! who says the Rivited tanks are ugly.

Which part pack adds rounded riveted tanks?

6 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Which part pack adds rounded riveted tanks?

It's a really old pack don't know if it's floating around for download any-more? I don't even have the zip file for it. Just the same folder I’ve been reusing since the game was version .24 . the parts are still MBM files but work fine if you negative out the bottom nodes. I would be glad to let you have a copy but I don't own the original zip and have no clue what the licence is? The folder is TurboNisu and the author on the part configs are  TurboNisu & A__Gun. I will have to look and see if I can come up with the original zip? Just never had the need to. This pack and RLA have been my go to mods for a long time .Between the two they fill in the stock parts and engines perfect. I'll post back if I find a link or I might have the original zip hiding in my rats nests of Kerbal backup drives. Sorry not to be more help.   

Just a name search and I found the mod Someone did a re release. But the download link is * you will need to go thru all the posts and see if there is a git hub link? Good place to start though.

Update Follow the link and click where it says original thread in the post there is still a working drop box link and the files look way newer than mine are Cheers :0.0:

Did this just censor out the word Kerbal stuff LOL.

Edited by Delbrutis
Found the original

On 12/22/2017 at 1:34 PM, Electrocutor said:

Textures Unlimited

Stock Prokjet TU Configuration File

Note
I've been asked by a number of people to stop spamming the forums with TU configs. I was also asked by the author of one of the mods that I made a TU config for to remove it so as to not ruin their intended art. Thus, I will no longer release my TU configs for anything but stock, but if anyone would like help in building a config, just ask. I am also willing to help any mod authors that would like to add a compatibility patch for TU into their part pack, just drop me a PM. It rather saddens me that so many people are against adding specular, reflections, or pbr to their mods; but so be it.

PartVariants

I am also willing to help anyone who wishes to build PartVariant configs. You can find my guide for the basic functionality here.

I find it hard to believe this actually ruined the intended look of their pack :o ? I guess the right thing to do was remove them if the authors were upset. But since these Configs are just MM files I can't see anyone saying you were not totally within your rights to publish them?

7 hours ago, Ogre1983 said:

@Electrocutor you also had the patch for dX11 here which I am still using so the thumbnails show in the VAB, is this no longer needed? Also the config you have posted is not the stock one I was using, are you still working on a re-do of it because I remember it being on pass 0. Thanks

I'll re-add the link. It was still linked from the tech support thread. I will be re-adding a full stock config sometime soon that utilizes PartVariants as well. The Porkjet Stock currently there was the only one I had updated to the new TU syntax.

10 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Hi, I was going to ask you if you wanted to make configs for necrobones' MRS and SpaceY and Suicidal Insanity MK2 and MK3 expansion, but this is kind of dead now, is it?

It's not dead. I can build configs pretty easily and send them to you if you like. The normal way mods do compatibility is to include a patch within their mod if they want their mod to support it. So you could ask those mod authors if they are interested in having TU compatibility if you want it to permanently be available.

6 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

I find it hard to believe this actually ruined the intended look of their pack :o ? I guess the right thing to do was remove them if the authors were upset. But since these Configs are just MM files I can't see anyone saying you were not totally within your rights to publish them?

Technically, yes. There is no legal reason I cannot make MM patches available for download, but it's consider in poor taste to do so against the wishes of the mod authors. 

1 hour ago, Electrocutor said:

It's not dead. I can build configs pretty easily and send them to you if you like. The normal way mods do compatibility is to include a patch within their mod if they want their mod to support it. So you could ask those mod authors if they are interested in having TU compatibility if you want it to permanently be available.

Well, thanks, I'd appreciate that

As far as MK2 and 3 Expansion goes, you might want to save your fingers as I have previously covered them as part of the stock recolour pack...

Spoiler

A6F38F6C628809EF8C11DB6DE479D15AD62AD511

DE6BAE371F9287A430E4F374F12FC043E5AEEB6D

I've partially updated it just not checked it out and it doesn't use part variants still but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Edited by Manwith Noname
Sloppy fingers

Could I ask you to reconsider not posting your configs on this thread? I can see how some mod authors might become touchy about you posting your configs in their mod thread, but I don't see how anybody can reasonably object to you posting them here, in your own thread.

By definition, people who find and read this thread are already interested in adding TU support to the mods they have that don't include it. I can see how a mod author's aesthetic choices may lead them not to want the features that TU offers, but if we are interested in taking advantage of these capabilities for ourselves to create a consistent visual style for all parts, objecting to that would seem petty. ("Don't modify my modification.")

I only discovered your thread recently, and the results I've achieved with your configs are amazing. I have no conception of how to go about creating these kinds of configs myself, so I greatly appreciated you making the results of all your hard work available. 

Luckily for me, I was able to grab most of the configs you had posted and convert them to the new TU syntax before you removed them. But it saddens me to think that you won't be continuing to spread shiny joy.

Regardless of your choices, I'd like to thank you for all the work you've put in so far. KSP parts have never looked so good. 

17 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

I'll re-add the link. It was still linked from the tech support thread. I will be re-adding a full stock config sometime soon that utilizes PartVariants as well. The Porkjet Stock currently there was the only one I had updated to the new TU syntax.

Technically, yes. There is no legal reason I cannot make MM patches available for download, but it's consider in poor taste to do so against the wishes of the mod authors. 

Yeah I totally understand why you felt it was not worth the hassle. And the Polite thing to do. Just struck me as a very silly thing to get upset about?  Good job with the stock Patch though. And I thought the guide was helpful for the Syntax challenged like myself.  Hope you fund that link for the round rivet tanks that pack has always been one of my favorites. 

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@Electrocutor I wonder if you could you make configs for KSPIE, especially the dishes and mirrors would benefit from a reflecting finish

I can. I've actually attempted KSPIE a couple of times, but it appears that models within had come from a great many different sources, with few of them being consistent. Basically, that means that I cannot make an overall patch that spreads across many parts, but instead need to define specific criteria for each part and each of its meshes (like stock parts not made by Porkjet). This means it will take a lot more time. Do you remember where you got all the models from originally that they may have updated versions? The optimal solution is a complete model/texture setup with diffuse+specular and normal textures with meshes separating things that need to be different, such as glass.

8 hours ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Could I ask you to reconsider not posting your configs on this thread? I can see how some mod authors might become touchy about you posting your configs in their mod thread, but I don't see how anybody can reasonably object to you posting them here, in your own thread.

By definition, people who find and read this thread are already interested in adding TU support to the mods they have that don't include it. I can see how a mod author's aesthetic choices may lead them not to want the features that TU offers, but if we are interested in taking advantage of these capabilities for ourselves to create a consistent visual style for all parts, objecting to that would seem petty. ("Don't modify my modification.")

I only discovered your thread recently, and the results I've achieved with your configs are amazing. I have no conception of how to go about creating these kinds of configs myself, so I greatly appreciated you making the results of all your hard work available. 

Luckily for me, I was able to grab most of the configs you had posted and convert them to the new TU syntax before you removed them. But it saddens me to think that you won't be continuing to spread shiny joy.

Regardless of your choices, I'd like to thank you for all the work you've put in so far. KSP parts have never looked so good. 

I will continue making patches and asking the mod authors (just like FreeThinker here) if they wish to include compatibility, but for those that do not, you'll need to ask me instead of just having them openly available. I don't mind handing out my configs to requests, especially when I think they make the mod look far better than with the original shaders, such as with SSPXR. Such amazing artwork and TU really brings it out. Any author who explicitly does not wish for me to distribute a TU patch, thought, I will not.

Edited by Electrocutor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.