Electrocutor's Thread

Electrocutor

2 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

anywhere within the game data folder will work, they are module manager patches

@Electrocutor

will you help me on this? can't make a decision and don't know what to fine tweak :

this is when i set my part to default_metal

GJ-5iJ55RwynLreeKwuaVA.png

and this when i set it to metal

9kTvdowBQMGsTbEiGhIgCA.png

I like the clearness of the texture from the metal one (second one) but the reflective features of the first one, how can i achieve something like that (maybe default metal with less reflection)?

edit : never mind, found it, the metal value under the default metal, but making it up to 0.75 realy makes it close to a mirror lol. here is the final look :

9G629LVWQt2DylrhEgzpYg.png

I'm pretty darn happy with this, damn squad, again, this should become stock feature lol

Thanks

3 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

ok, now I'm, stuck, take a look at this part on the second mod :

model = StationalCunstructs/Parts/RingsAndConstrains/SolidRingTypeI

and now the patch for the part to rise and shine :

@PART[*]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited]:HAS[@MODEL:HAS[#model[JSolidStation*]]]:FINAL {

why it doesn't show up on the part? it works on the first mod but not the second mod why?

"One of these things is not like the others..." :-)

Also, don't ever use FINAL in a patch made to be distributed. FINAL is basically reserved for personal MM edits to override everything else.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Interstellar Extended will likely gain a lot of fashion from a proper config... Do you think it can be done?

I actually started working on KSPIE, but the whole pack is made of mismatched models and textures that are from other packs and from all sorts of different authors/artists, so there is no clean way to do it. It will be a chore because each individual part will need its own cfg block. I'll eventually get there, but for now it makes more sense to me to get cfgs for packs made by the same author/artist because they use the same patterns when making their things.

I'll be making Pass 1 or 2 patches for all of Nertea's stuff at least before KSPIE; but I will eventually get it done.

Edited by Electrocutor

6 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

also, noticed the patch for stock has no transparency map for command pods, how would someone fix that?

Can you be more specific, I was not aware that any of the stock command pods even used transparent textures. I know that Ven's does and should have them set properly.

2 hours ago, Agustin said:

Can anybody make this for TU? I am trying to understand but not there yet...

He seems pretty close to release; should I wait until he is finished first?

Here is where I would start from:

Spoiler

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	%enabled = true
}
@PART[*]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&MiningExpansion]:HAS[@MODEL:HAS[#model[MiningExpansion*]]] {
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = MiningExpansion_DefaultMetal

TEXTURESET {
			name = MiningExpansion_Default
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = MiningExpansion_DefaultMetal
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = MiningExpansion_Metal
		}
	}
}

KSP_COLOR_PRESET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = rgb_gray
	title = RGB Gray
	color = 127,127,127
	specular = 0
	metallic = 0
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = MiningExpansion_Default
	title = Default
	recolorable = false

TEXTURE {
		shader	= SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
	COLORS {
		mainColor = rgb_gray
		secondColor = rgb_gray
		detailColor = rgb_gray
	}
}
+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[MiningExpansion_Default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	@name = MiningExpansion_DefaultMetal
	@title = Default Metal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@PROPERTY[_Color] {
			@color = 1.75,1.75,1.75,1.0
		}
		@PROPERTY[_Metal] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}
+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[MiningExpansion_DefaultMetal]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	@name = MiningExpansion_Metal
	@title = Metal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		@PROPERTY[_Smoothness] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

7 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Can you be more specific, I was not aware that any of the stock command pods even used transparent textures. I know that Ven's does and should have them set properly.

oh no, I mean they don't use a transparency, was not sure if you can handle and adding one to them or not

7 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

He seems pretty close to release; should I wait until he is finished first?

Here is where I would start from:

I would say go for it, it's not a new mod and i think it's a simple update so i wouldn't think much would change and adding something in future won't be that hard, by the way, did you think that writing a simple application would help you a lot? like an input field for the names you want as parts and the mod name and a button and bam it will generate the config file for you and you can just go in and check the rest? although copy/pasting a file is a way but it always need extra attention for not missing a change here and there

by the way, what do you think, shiny enough :D ?

47 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

I added the product of some experimenting with kerbals and squad assets; by no means a complete a mod, but some may find it useful.

Don't forget that in windows, you have to right-click and trust a .dll that you download from the internet.

KNXuAW9.jpg

am i missing something or is it just the middle kerbal's face that is changed?

@Electrocutor
I found this code in porkjet Stock :

TEXTURE
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Masked
		texture = _MaskTex,Squad/Parts/Wheel/LandingGear/LandingGear

mesh = Base
		mesh = BayDoor1
		mesh = BayDoor2
		mesh = mesh

PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = TINTING_MODE
			keyword = TINTING_MODE
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.0
		}
	}

What is the job of that texture file you are assigning for tinting mode? making where the tinting can go? black no tinting, white full tinting?

also I noticed something maybe a bug? when you set the recolorable to true, even if you assign a higher metalic value by default, the part comes into VAB with metalic = 0? unless you open the editor and change it?

This is my code :

@PART[JConcave*]:AFTER[StationalCunstructs]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited,StationalCunstructs] {
	MODULE
	{
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = JStation_DefaultMetal

TEXTURESET {
			name = JStation_Default
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = JStation_DefaultMetal
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = JStation_Metal
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = SSTURecolorGUI
	}
}

KSP_COLOR_PRESET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = rgb_gray
	title = RGB Gray
	color = 127,127,127
	specular = 0
	metallic = 0
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = JStation_Default
	title = Default
	recolorable = true

TEXTURE {
		shader	= SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
	TEXTURE
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Masked
		texture = _MaskTex,StationalCunstructs/gray
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = TINTING_MODE
			keyword = TINTING_MODE
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.0
		}
	}
	COLORS {
		mainColor = rgb_gray
		secondColor = rgb_gray
		detailColor = rgb_gray
	}
}
+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[JStation_Default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	@name = JStation_DefaultMetal
	@title = Default Metal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@PROPERTY[_Color] {
			@color = 1.75,1.75,1.75,1.0
		}
		@PROPERTY[_Metal] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}
+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[JStation_DefaultMetal]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	@name = JStation_Metal
	@title = Metal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		@PROPERTY[_Smoothness] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

as u see, the default is defaultMetal, but when i put the part, it has 0 metalic value, am i doing something wrong?

Edited by Jiraiyah

18 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

am i missing something or is it just the middle kerbal's face that is changed?

@Electrocutor
I found this code in porkjet Stock :

What is the job of that texture file you are assigning for tinting mode? making where the tinting can go? black no tinting, white full tinting?

also I noticed something maybe a bug? when you set the recolorable to true, even if you assign a higher metalic value by default, the part comes into VAB with metalic = 0? unless you open the editor and change it?

This is my code :

as u see, the default is defaultMetal, but when i put the part, it has 0 metalic value, am i doing something wrong?

It infinitely varies the skin tone of of kerbals to various shades of green, has 5 or 6 head versions it chooses from, and changes their safe IVA/EVA to casual clothes.

The _MaskTex is the masked texture used for recoloring. I have used a trick whereby I can set the mask to the original texture and somewhat use it for recoloring because white is made up of all 3 colors (red, green, and blue).

The recolor GUI has sliders for metallic and smoothness. This is not a bug, it is meant for you to set as wish.

In your Default config you have set both a part for StockMetallicBumped and for Masked, but you have not specified any excludeMesh or mesh criteria, so the Masked shader overwrites all of the StockMetallicBumped ones.

Edited by Electrocutor

So I've had a bit of a play about and I have a proposition.

Short term, would you like some base coat masks (completely red with black cutouts) for all the stock parts so things like windows and end faces don't get "painted". I have pretty much completed the Stock parts (didn't do anything in the engines folder and can't recall what was achieved with the Utility folder but the rest should be there) with my work on KerbPaint. Loading them all up and simply disabling the green and blue channel will provide that.

Longer term, I might "re-layer" the masks to work with this system so it has full 3 channel functionality if need be.

I've only downloaded and slapped things in my install to see it in game so I'm not au fait with the config structure and inner workings of the mod yet. Going to go and have a play and see if I can get them working as is and what monstrosities I can produce.

Edited by Manwith Noname

1 hour ago, Manwith Noname said:

So I've had a bit of a play about and I have a proposition.

Short term, would you like some base coat masks (completely red with black cutouts) for all the stock parts so things like windows and end faces don't get "painted". I have pretty much completed the Stock parts (didn't do anything in the engines folder and can't recall what was achieved with the Utility folder but the rest should be there) with my work on KerbPaint. Loading them all up and simply disabling the green and blue channel will provide that.

Longer term, I might "re-layer" the masks to work with this system so it has full 3 channel functionality if need be.

I've only downloaded and slapped things in my install to see it in game so I'm not au fait with the config structure and inner workings of the mod yet. Going to go and have a play and see if I can get them working as is and what monstrosities I can produce.

I was going to start work on a project like this, but hesitated after seeing all the screenshots for v1.4. It seems as though Squad is making a lot of dramatic changes in 1.4 to textures and graphics, so I wanted to at least wait until I didn't have to redo everything. Since you already have the maps, why not just hook them up? It also appears to me that very few people are interested in PBR KSP; though perhaps this will change after some new life is drawn in via the DLC.

Edited by Electrocutor

Aaaaannnd.....that's enough to make me stop. This will be the third (I think) time they "redesigned" parts and I've had to redo masks. I might faff about a bit with things but I just tried hacking in to your configs and got a whole load of nope. Roughly translated as full specular and metallic, so I feel like I'd probably need to make the other textures required and create fresh configs which...I don't have the time for right now if it's all going down the can when 1.4 comes out.

I haven't played KSP for over a year, let alone kept tabs on development. Do we know if 1.4 is far away? *Goes searching*

Hey @Electrocutor I made some one part configs for KAX, Airplanes Plus and Open Cockpit because I was making a movie prop, here they are if you want them, they are much simpler than yours because I am not  great with Module Manager.

TU_OpenCockpit

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AsZnZd8OcOj13lOvwa4iF_-duQstXy0l

TU_KAX

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12JRANXmxjK-L0j_FOF9OjbQPVeVnFWKX

TU_AirplanesPlus

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NyFvJ-djihC3yjYil8sbY360-xKUn8BT

Also I came across an issue with the propellers, adding the TU config to an engine stuffs up the prop animation turning it into a disk, not sure how to fix this one, I think it needs applying to the right mesh but I am not sure how to do that

WqIsp35.png

Edited by selfish_meme

4 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Aaaaannnd.....that's enough to make me stop. This will be the third (I think) time they "redesigned" parts and I've had to redo masks. I might faff about a bit with things but I just tried hacking in to your configs and got a whole load of nope. Roughly translated as full specular and metallic, so I feel like I'd probably need to make the other textures required and create fresh configs which...I don't have the time for right now if it's all going down the can when 1.4 comes out.

I haven't played KSP for over a year, let alone kept tabs on development. Do we know if 1.4 is far away? *Goes searching*

Perhaps this might help you get started...

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default] {
	%enabled = true
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET {
	name = MyMod_Recolor
	title = Recolor
	recolorable = true
	TEXTURE {
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Masked
		excludeMesh = flagTransform
		excludeMesh = FLAG
	}
	COLORS {
		mainColor = white
		secondColor = steel
		detailColor = gold
	}
}

@PART[MyPart] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = MyMod_Recolor_MyPart
		TEXTURESET {
			name = MyMod_Recolor_MyPart
		}
	}
	MODULE {
		name = SSTURecolorGUI
	}
}
+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[MyMod_Recolor] {
	@name = MyMod_Recolor_MyPart
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		texture = _MainTex,MyMod/Parts/MyPart/MyPart_RecolorDiffuse
		texture = _SpecMap,MyMod/Parts/MyPart/MyPart_RecolorSpec
		texture = _MaskTex,MyMod/Parts/MyPart/MyPart_RecolorMask
	}
}

As far as needing 3 textures just to make it work right... I'll refer to my previous comment of "I'm not fond of the Masked shader because it does not work logically to how KSP works or how you'd think a masked pbr shader would".

In my opinion, you should just need your original diffuse with specular on the alpha, a mask texture with black where not to mask and the 3 colors where it should, and the ability to set _Metal and _Smoothness as a float for the part that is not masked. This way you don't have a bunch of extra textures to make and load; but... that's not how it is.

Edited by Electrocutor

On 12/28/2017 at 3:24 PM, Electrocutor said:

Don't forget that in windows, you have to right-click and trust a .dll that you download from the internet.

Link or still just an idea?

By the way, the problem @selfish_meme is having with propellers, I have seen with chutes. It's like landing with a giant ice cream cone.

10 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Also I came across an issue with the propellers, adding the TU config to an engine stuffs up the prop animation turning it into a disk, not sure how to fix this one, I think it needs applying to the right mesh but I am not sure how to do that

WqIsp35.png

This is caused when there is a fake texture used to create a blur visual instead of just relying on the animation to show it spinning. You need to find the mesh name for that and either exclude it or set it to the transparent shader version.

28 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Link or still just an idea?

By the way, the problem @selfish_meme is having with propellers, I have seen with chutes. It's like landing with a giant ice cream cone.

I linked it on the front page. I saw your chute screenshot and fixed it long ago.

Edited by Electrocutor

@Electrocutor

Thanks for reply, well, didn't have time to play with configs today, but, I tried something in the gui, you see, when i change the metal to 192 (would be 0.75 in config) and all three colors to 445 (would be equivalent of 1.75 from config) to mimic the default metal, i was surprised to see totally different reflection on the part, i mean, using your code for default metal, the part is somewhat like mirror reflecting VAB shelves etc, but this way, all i get is a reflection that is not clear and only reflects things like lights and the sky color from the door side of the VAB, why is that?

2 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

@Electrocutor

Thanks for reply, well, didn't have time to play with configs today, but, I tried something in the gui, you see, when i change the metal to 192 (would be 0.75 in config) and all three colors to 445 (would be equivalent of 1.75 from config) to mimic the default metal, i was surprised to see totally different reflection on the part, i mean, using your code for default metal, the part is somewhat like mirror reflecting VAB shelves etc, but this way, all i get is a reflection that is not clear and only reflects things like lights and the sky color from the door side of the VAB, why is that?

Over-saturation causes weirdness. The masked shaders works in completely different ways than the others, you can't use the same values.

For example, the white sections of pork parts for recoloring, i would set only 1 of the 3 colors to a metallic color, and one of the colors to black.

Edited by Electrocutor

1 minute ago, Jiraiyah said:

so how can i achieve same look but with the ability to tint the part? i mean some numbers that would be equivalent of the previous default metal config please if possible

Do you have a real masked texture to use that is black, red, green, and blue? Or do you mean with my stock pork configs?

8 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

In my opinion, you should just need your original diffuse with specular on the alpha, a mask texture with black where not to mask and the 3 colors where it should, and the ability to set _Metal and _Smoothness as a float for the part that is not masked. This way you don't have a bunch of extra textures to make and load; but... that's not how it is.

Yep, this is exactly what I'm used to with current KSP and KerbPaint, minus the shiny shiny. I can see why you might need extra maps for defining some things (bump, AO) but I don't understand why you need to make a colour mapping mask and then another mask to define where the colour mapping goes. At least that's how I read your information in the other thread.

2 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

Over-saturation causes weirdness. The masked shaders works in completely different ways than the others, you can't use the same values.

For example, the white sections of pork parts for recoloring, i would set only 1 of the 3 colors to a metallic color, and one of the colors to black.

In my playing about with your current configs, I made the second and third layers black and only used the first. I did however quite like the super chrome effect by putting spec and metal full on all of them.

2 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Yep, this is exactly what I'm used to with current KSP and KerbPaint, minus the shiny shiny. I can see why you might need extra maps for defining some things (bump, AO) but I don't understand why you need to make a colour mapping mask and then another mask to define where the colour mapping goes. At least that's how I read your information in the other thread.

In my playing about with your current configs, I made the second and third layers black and only used the first. I did however quite like the super chrome effect by putting spec and metal full on all of them.

Could you send me one of your kerbpaint recolor masks so I can see what I can do with it with the least effort?

Easiest thing for me to do right now would be direct you to the download for the KerbPaint pack which is as far as I got with them before getting annoyed with other KerbPaint problems.

Google drive.

Anything with 122 at the front was "adapted" to work with the current models at the time. Most have some sort of 3 layer pattern, MK2 and MK3 stuff for example. Heh, when I look at some now I want to redo them as they were done quite a while ago and I have developed better techniques. Some for example I made through pure guess work and trial and error due to not being able to see all the model texture...then I worked out how to reveal it.

Edit: Actually, looking at your example above and reading how those need to be defined, I should be able to knock them up quite easily from my gimp files. Problem is, redistributing them since the maintex will contain part of the original diffuse.

Edited by Manwith Noname

48 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Easiest thing for me to do right now would be direct you to the download for the KerbPaint pack which is as far as I got with them before getting annoyed with other KerbPaint problems.

Google drive.

Anything with 122 at the front was "adapted" to work with the current models at the time. Most have some sort of 3 layer pattern, MK2 and MK3 stuff for example. Heh, when I look at some now I want to redo them as they were done quite a while ago and I have developed better techniques. Some for example I made through pure guess work and trial and error due to not being able to see all the model texture...then I worked out how to reveal it.

Edit: Actually, looking at your example above and reading how those need to be defined, I should be able to knock them up quite easily from my gimp files. Problem is, redistributing them since the maintex will contain part of the original diffuse.

The example you showed in the TU thread had red, green, and blue; these are red, yellow, and magenta. Did you just recolor the diffuse or something for that one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.