Electrocutor's Thread

Electrocutor

Just to chime in -- I am still working towards a stock-compatible 'recoloring' shader -- but there are some fairly large technical hurdles to overcome first (some that I'm not sure I'll actually be able to solve).  I have a few ideas to investigate, and should know more in the upcoming weeks.

The chances of stock recolour coming this month, are a million to one he said...

Alright, not sure I would call this a pass 3 just yet. I was going to call it 2.5 but it might be a bit closer to 2.8 in some ways. There's still a bit of work to do to keep my OCD levels happy but I figured it should be usable for most. You will need...

1) Textures Unlimited. I hope it's obvious why and hope you already have it since...well...
2) Electrocutor's Pass 0 stock config in the opening post. (For a couple of reasons but primarily so things like the engines and various other parts I'm not sure I will touch look awesome.)
3) Electrocutor's Pass 2 stock Porkjet config in the opening post. (Well, I've piggybacked on to this and reference some of the texture sets it defines.)
4) My TU Stock recolour config and mask pack which you can download here. (...because colour is awesome.)

It's very important that the folder is installed correctly as the mod relies on absolute path definitions. If it's not installed correctly, no bueno. Saying that, it's not complicated, the TU_Stock_Recolour folder just needs to be placed inside the GameData folder. Like most people do, I've already packed it inside a GameData folder to hopefully make this obvious...but...

I will probably be looking at some point to tidy up some masks as the method I used to convert them from KerbPaint style to Textures Unlimited style was mostly good but came with some minor (for my OCD) issues. I may also look at splitting up some mesh groups I could have missed to allow for further customisation. Oh, in some cases I might remove defined texture sets from parts and add replacements, I half did this as a went along but some parts can look a bit funky with certain sets. Some of these changes will cause an issue with saved craft losing their settings. Not a huge problem for craft in the hangar but may cause craft out in the world to look weird. I don't think it should break them completely though...not tested that...guarantee not included. It's unlikely for this to happen soon though, probably after KSP 1.4.

Sillyness and pics...

Spoiler

Hey, it's a me! No, not Mario! The stock MK1-2 pod.

089A0F48FE9D624F58F1439DD60767BEB2CD96F7

I needed a new lease of life so I called the people over at Shadowmage Incorporated and they sent me one of their anonymous technicians...

194CA28A1DDE210A97AE5DEAF68BCB9A0E0AAFE3

After a bit of time in the shop I feel invigorated and ready to take the pimpin' bling lovers to the Mun.

Wacky Races

5D3FDF19E72F9EFBE4CA6C34B4FD9894C4554E70

No....I would never colour a part like that for playing. It's just a demo for six colours on a part. I'll leave you to find the one with nine.

Some caveats, I pulled the fairing config as while it worked fine in the hangar I noticed it didn't stick to launch. There may be other instances of this that I have not tested or found (maybe fuel lines and struts) so reports would probably be welcome. There's also an issue with the material bay which needs looking at.

Oh yeah...about those fuel lines...just don't try and paint them blue or you may cause your computer to explode. (Not really it's just impossible due to how the tinting mode works). Same goes for trying to paint things white, hence why most of the parts I mask are already various shades of RGB with higher values.

Sometimes, you'll need to think inside the box.

Anyway...I hope people have fun with them.

Edited by Manwith Noname

@Electrocutor I have experienced a quite weird error while optimizing the meshes and textures from FUR for TU (as you suggested, adding an alpha channel to the textures as well as splitting the meshes up in different materials) For low to medium specular and metallic values (e.g. the config you called "KerbetrotterLtd_DefaultDull") there appear same really hard egdes in the textures which kinda look a bit like reflections:

KRLwjo3.png

The image is taken with your config and there are no changes to the models yet.
I would assume that this is caused by very low resolutions of the textures used in the cubemap for a low specular values and we see the eges of the texture quads. This weird effect can even be seen when the both _Metal and _Smoothness are both set to zero. I have not seens this kind of effect in the Unity Editor itself.

Do you know a way to mitigate or prevent this? Does maybe @Shadowmage have an idea? Should i report this as a bug in Github?

Edited by Nils277

7 hours ago, Nils277 said:

Do you know a way to mitigate or prevent this? Does maybe @Shadowmage have an idea? Should i report this as a bug in Github?

Run KSP in DX11 mode.... (or openGL).

Unity has issues with cubemap convolution under DX9.  Causes each face in the cubemap on lower-gloss (less-reflective) surfaces to have very different colors, causing the seams that you are seeing in the reflections.

3 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Run KSP in DX11 mode.... (or openGL).

Unity has issues with cubemap convolution under DX9.  Causes each face in the cubemap on lower-gloss (less-reflective) surfaces to have very different colors, causing the seams that you are seeing in the reflections.

Thanks a lot, that must be the Problem, will try that out asap

Right, minor update.

Broke The Claw in to 2 mesh groups, sorted out a few masks, added a couple more parts. I have replaced the link in the post above but will also add one here.

Bon voyage!

Spoiler

B30C303C879286C7135683C3EBF6CAB9EA0A897F

Edit:...oh yeah..."fixed" the issue with the material bay as best I can with just a config. At least it no longer looks like this...

Spoiler

B61B8FBEFCF5B0A51BB58597B68BBB876A6DE0BD

Edited by Manwith Noname

@Electrocutor Can you help me? I used Mecrip`s TU-config for NSS/Octosat and a similar for the Radiators of the Space Shuttle but it didn`t work correctly. There are no reflections of the Sunlight in Space.
Here are some pics
https://imgur.com/a/3AMnC

Jimbodiah says that you solved the problem with the NF-Propulsion-Patch. I don`t know how to implement this code:

NSS/Octosat

KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
	name = NSS_Parts

model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Com_Core
	model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Com_HalfTop
	model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Com_Side
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Com_Core
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_HalfTop
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Con_RCS
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Con_RCS2
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Con_RCS3
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Con_RW
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Pr_Ion
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Pr_LfOx
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Pr_Mp
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Pr_Nuclear
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_Goo
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_M900
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_MaterialBay
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_Science
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_SideDish
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Sc_TopDish
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Adapter
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Cargo
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_CargoModule
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Decoupler
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_HalfBottom
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_HalfTop
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Plate
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Separator
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_St_Side
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ta_Side
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ut_Battery
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ut_FuelCell
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ut_RTG
        model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ut_SolarPanels

TEXTURE // Metal
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic

texture = _MetallicGlossMap,TexturesUnlimited_NSS/Textures/silver

}
}

REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
	%enabled = true
	%interval = 1
}

KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
	model = NSS/Parts/OctoSat_Ut_SolarPanels

TEXTURE
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/StockMetallicBumped

mesh = panel1
                mesh = panel1a
                mesh = panel1a001
                mesh = panel1a002
                mesh = panel1a003
                mesh = panel1a004
                mesh = panel1a005
                mesh = panel1a006
                mesh = panel1a007
                mesh = panel1a008
                mesh = panel1a009
                mesh = panel1a010
                mesh = panel1a011
                mesh = panel1a012
                mesh = panel1a013
                mesh = panel002
                mesh = panel003
                mesh = panel004
                mesh = panel005
                mesh = panel006
                mesh = panel007
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
	}
}

Space Shuttle

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
	%enabled = true
	%interval = 1
}

KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
	model = SPACE_SHUTTLE_SYSTEM/CREW
	TEXTURE
	{

mesh = WINDOWS2

PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
	}
}

KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
	model = SPACE_SHUTTLE_SYSTEM/FUSELASE_AND_DOOR
	TEXTURE
	{

mesh = STBD_PLB_RADIATOR_1
		mesh = STBD_PLB_RADIATOR_2
		mesh = STBD_PLB_RADIATOR_3
		mesh = STBD_PLB_RADIATOR_4

mesh = PORT_PLB_RADIATOR_1
		mesh = PORT_PLB_RADIATOR_2
		mesh = PORT_PLB_RADIATOR_3
		mesh = PORT_PLB_RADIATOR_4
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
	}
}

into a config like this (your NF-Propulsion-config)

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	%enabled = true
}

@PART[argon-25-1,argon-25-2,argon-25-3,argon-125-1,argon-125-2,argon-125-3,argon-0625-1,argon-0625-2,argon-0625-3]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&NearFuturePropulsion] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = NearFuturePropulsion_DefaultMetal
		TEXTURESET {
			name = NearFuturePropulsion_DefaultMetal
		}
	}
}

@PART[argon-radial-125-1,argon-radial-0625-1]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&NearFuturePropulsion] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal
		TEXTURESET {
			name = NearFuturePropulsion_Dull
		}
		TEXTURESET {
			name = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal
		}
	}
}

@PART[lithium-25-1,lithium-25-2,lithium-25-3,lithium-125-1,lithium-125-2]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&NearFuturePropulsion] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal_LithTank
		TEXTURESET {
			name = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal_LithTank
		}
	}
}

@PART[xenon-25-1,xenon-25-2,xenon-25-3,xenon-125-1,xenon-125-2,xenon-125-3,xenon-radial-125-1,ionArgon-0625,ionArgon-0625-2,ionArgon-0625-3,ionXenon-0625,ionXenon-0625-2,ionXenon-0625-3,mpdt-25,mpdt-125,mpdt-0625,pit-25,pit-125,pit-0625,vasimr-25,vasimr-125,vasimr-0625,rcsblock-gridded-01,rcsblock-hall-01,rcsblock-mpdt-quad-01,rcsblock-mpdt-quint-01,rcsblock-mpdt-single-01,rcsblock-mpdt-triple-01]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&NearFuturePropulsion] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal
		TEXTURESET {
			name = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal
		}
	}
}

// A102 (no alpha)
// LFT-A20, LFT-A20, LFT-A40
// - Tank (foil)
// - Structure (metal)
// LFT-B2
// - Tank (foil)
// - TankStructure (metal)
// xenon tanks: all-metal

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = NearFuturePropulsion_Default
	title = Default

TEXTURE {

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 1.0
		}
	}
}

+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[NearFuturePropulsion_Default] {
	@name = NearFuturePropulsion_Dull
	@title = Dull
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		@PROPERTY[_Smoothness] {
			@float = 0.5
		}
	}
}

+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[NearFuturePropulsion_Default] {
	@name = NearFuturePropulsion_DefaultMetal
	@title = DefaultMetal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@PROPERTY[_Color] {
			@color = 1.75,1.75,1.75,1.0
		}
		@PROPERTY[_Metal] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[NearFuturePropulsion_DefaultMetal] {
	@name = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal
	@title = Metal
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		@shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic
		@PROPERTY[_Smoothness] {
			@float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

+KSP_TEXTURE_SET[NearFuturePropulsion_Metal] {
	@name = NearFuturePropulsion_Metal_LithTank
	+TEXTURE,0 {
		mesh = Tank
		@PROPERTY[_Smoothness] {
			@float = 0.9
		}
	}
	@TEXTURE,0 {
		excludeMesh = Tank
	}
}

Can you help me please? For the Shuttle I need only the Reflections for the radiators (formerly TR/TRR).

Edit: Found it. :wink:

Edited by Cheesecake

13 hours ago, bvsveera said:

@Electrocutor, love your work on the Ven's stock revamp parts! Any chance we'll get to see recolouring / tinting?

Short answer is maybe; longer answer is that I'm waiting to see what 1.4 has in store for the game since they are doing quite a lot of Unity and graphics updates. There is also the Making History DLC, which they have already shown as including a soviet pod much like what Ven includes and some of their listed changes included things such as engine boat tails. It also appears they will now have a default module for model switching, which would be good to setup things like Porkjet's and Ven's as a simple 'Next' option for looks on the same part; but in so doing, that will break any of the KSPTextureSwitch modules for TU (only KSP_MODEL_SHADER would still be fine).

During this hiatus, I'm playing through Dragon Age 1, 2, and 3 again; it's quite amazing what a couple textures and reshade can do with older games.

Small bug report here.  I've isolated it down to a potential problem in the 000_Standardize_Squad.cfg script.  When running with Ven's Stock Revamp, it seems to take the 'optional' textures (the usual fairing around the engine bell, and the adapter tankbutt with an additional upper node that's particular to Ven's) and make them visible at all times.

First two are a vanilla install plus Ven's, MM 3.01, and the bare bones TU install with no additional configs, showing attaching a Spark engine by both lower and upper nodes.  All appears normal:

ormggZC.jpg

AWeumO8.jpg

Second two show the same setup with only the 000_Standardize_Squad.cfg added. Now the additional textures are visible at all times, (including in the part thumbnail in R&D, and in flight):

YTOOR05.jpg

yohs2jh.jpg

Installing the TU_VenStockRevamp.cfg I found in this thread makes no difference, nor does right-clicking and deactivating engine shrouds.  I'm using the Spark to illustrate the issue, but it happens with other Ven's-adjusted stock engines: the Swivel, Reliant, Poodle, Ant, NERV, and Skipper. The other stock engines - Mainsail, Terrier, Dawn, Rhino, Vector, Dart - and the mod engines included in Ven's are not affected.

Logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x21hgks60i3mer/vens_TU_conflict output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks, I hope this is enough info to reproduce and figure out what's happening. 

Edited by fourfa

Updated the recolour pack once more. A few tweaks and polish to some masks, now also includes a config that applies the stock paints to the MK3 Expansion mod. Some of the parts really need dedicated paints but you can at least set all colours the same to cover them uniformly. There's also two parts where I have removed the recolour application but you can still switch between the Porkjet presets.

Convenience link.

Comedy pic...

Spoiler

275960712919E4E0C9829C623767C67503DB9083

On 29/01/2018 at 4:16 PM, Electrocutor said:

Short answer is maybe; longer answer is that I'm waiting to see what 1.4 has in store for the game since they are doing quite a lot of Unity and graphics updates. There is also the Making History DLC, which they have already shown as including a soviet pod much like what Ven includes and some of their listed changes included things such as engine boat tails. It also appears they will now have a default module for model switching, which would be good to setup things like Porkjet's and Ven's as a simple 'Next' option for looks on the same part; but in so doing, that will break any of the KSPTextureSwitch modules for TU (only KSP_MODEL_SHADER would still be fine).

During this hiatus, I'm playing through Dragon Age 1, 2, and 3 again; it's quite amazing what a couple textures and reshade can do with older games.

Fair enough. Just wanted to say thanks for all you've done so far anyway, you've made my dreams of having realistic looking Apollo modules come true. Here's the Little Joe II, Apollo command and lunar modules!

Edited by bvsveera
Adding imgur album link

On 1/31/2018 at 6:28 PM, fourfa said:

Small bug report here.  I've isolated it down to a potential problem in the 000_Standardize_Squad.cfg script.  When running with Ven's Stock Revamp, it seems to take the 'optional' textures (the usual fairing around the engine bell, and the adapter tankbutt with an additional upper node that's particular to Ven's) and make them visible at all times.

First two are a vanilla install plus Ven's, MM 3.01, and the bare bones TU install with no additional configs, showing attaching a Spark engine by both lower and upper nodes.  All appears normal:

Second two show the same setup with only the 000_Standardize_Squad.cfg added. Now the additional textures are visible at all times, (including in the part thumbnail in R&D, and in flight):

Installing the TU_VenStockRevamp.cfg I found in this thread makes no difference, nor does right-clicking and deactivating engine shrouds.  I'm using the Spark to illustrate the issue, but it happens with other Ven's-adjusted stock engines: the Swivel, Reliant, Poodle, Ant, NERV, and Skipper. The other stock engines - Mainsail, Terrier, Dawn, Rhino, Vector, Dart - and the mod engines included in Ven's are not affected.

Logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x21hgks60i3mer/vens_TU_conflict output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks, I hope this is enough info to reproduce and figure out what's happening. 

The squad standardize cfg wasn't meant to be used with Ven's or the generic stock TU cfgs. The Ven cfg currently assumes that stock parts have their normal stock cfgs and not updated to using MODEL{}. In all honesty, Ven's pack in itself will likely need a cfg overhaul after 1.4 comes out, so I haven't bothered to adjust it yet. The reason I dropped 000_Standardize_Squad in here was just to be useful for anyone who may want to have it (it is unrelated to TU): the idea is the start of something similar to Skyrim's Unofficial Patch, where the community comes up with a mod that effectively fixes all the bugs that Squad has not fixed, but the road to get there is a rather long one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.