Electrocutor's Thread

Electrocutor

Hey Electrocutor!

Would it be possible to create configs for Procedural tanks (Shielded, Unshielded, etc), procedural structures (fuselages, crew tubes, etc), and procedural decouplers? I'm using RO and most of the parts in any given ship are comprised of some combination of those. It would be high bang for your buck config files :D

9 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Use SSTU!

Ah, didn't really know about it as I'm just getting back into KSP after a year hiatus. I will check it out thanks for the recc :cool:

EDIT: Downloaded/Installed SSTU: It's great, however I don't see that it has procedural tanks. I see decouplers and fairings...so I would still need help making TU config files for RO's procedural tanks. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by jstnj

10 hours ago, jstnj said:

Ah, didn't really know about it as I'm just getting back into KSP after a year hiatus. I will check it out thanks for the recc :cool:

EDIT: Downloaded/Installed SSTU: It's great, however I don't see that it has procedural tanks. I see decouplers and fairings...so I would still need help making TU config files for RO's procedural tanks. Any help is appreciated!

The MFT-A tank is very much a procedural tank.

8 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Every part in SSTU is scalable and configurable in many ways. The MFT tank has so many possible itterations that even Mage has a hard time calculating all the possibilities :wink:

Maybe my Career Config is messed up then, I dont see it in my parts list although Im pretty far along in RO.

17 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

The MFT-A is already available in the second node I think, it just unlocks larger diameters when you progress up the tree. After you place the part, you can go into the GUI and change all the paramters like length/diameter/tank type/nose/mount/etc.

I'm trying this out in Sandbox mode. I may have missed something during installation because it seems the tank is only 1/2 (tried doing 2R similar to a procedural fairing, but to no avail). Also, should the tank node attach to the bottom of the last part I placed? It seems like the only node on the SSTU tank is in the middle. Thirdly, the GUI (resizing, etc) throws a bunch of NaN's so SOMETHING with my installation must be wrong. I'm investigating further.

Edited by jstnj

Spoiler

On 18/01/2018 at 10:37 PM, Manwith Noname said:

The chances of stock recolour coming this month, are a million to one he said...

Alright, not sure I would call this a pass 3 just yet. I was going to call it 2.5 but it might be a bit closer to 2.8 in some ways. There's still a bit of work to do to keep my OCD levels happy but I figured it should be usable for most. You will need...

1) Textures Unlimited. I hope it's obvious why and hope you already have it since...well...
2) Electrocutor's Pass 0 stock config in the opening post. (For a couple of reasons but primarily so things like the engines and various other parts I'm not sure I will touch look awesome.)
3) Electrocutor's Pass 2 stock Porkjet config in the opening post. (Well, I've piggybacked on to this and reference some of the texture sets it defines.)
4) My TU Stock recolour config and mask pack which you can download here. (...because colour is awesome.)

It's very important that the folder is installed correctly as the mod relies on absolute path definitions. If it's not installed correctly, no bueno. Saying that, it's not complicated, the TU_Stock_Recolour folder just needs to be placed inside the GameData folder. Like most people do, I've already packed it inside a GameData folder to hopefully make this obvious...but...

I will probably be looking at some point to tidy up some masks as the method I used to convert them from KerbPaint style to Textures Unlimited style was mostly good but came with some minor (for my OCD) issues. I may also look at splitting up some mesh groups I could have missed to allow for further customisation. Oh, in some cases I might remove defined texture sets from parts and add replacements, I half did this as a went along but some parts can look a bit funky with certain sets. Some of these changes will cause an issue with saved craft losing their settings. Not a huge problem for craft in the hangar but may cause craft out in the world to look weird. I don't think it should break them completely though...not tested that...guarantee not included. It's unlikely for this to happen soon though, probably after KSP 1.4.

Sillyness and pics...

Reveal hidden contents

Hey, it's a me! No, not Mario! The stock MK1-2 pod.

089A0F48FE9D624F58F1439DD60767BEB2CD96F7

I needed a new lease of life so I called the people over at Shadowmage Incorporated and they sent me one of their anonymous technicians...

194CA28A1DDE210A97AE5DEAF68BCB9A0E0AAFE3

After a bit of time in the shop I feel invigorated and ready to take the pimpin' bling lovers to the Mun.

Wacky Races

5D3FDF19E72F9EFBE4CA6C34B4FD9894C4554E70

No....I would never colour a part like that for playing. It's just a demo for six colours on a part. I'll leave you to find the one with nine.

Some caveats, I pulled the fairing config as while it worked fine in the hangar I noticed it didn't stick to launch. There may be other instances of this that I have not tested or found (maybe fuel lines and struts) so reports would probably be welcome. There's also an issue with the material bay which needs looking at.

Oh yeah...about those fuel lines...just don't try and paint them blue or you may cause your computer to explode. (Not really it's just impossible due to how the tinting mode works). Same goes for trying to paint things white, hence why most of the parts I mask are already various shades of RGB with higher values.

Sometimes, you'll need to think inside the box.

Anyway...I hope people have fun with them.

KSP_x64_2018-02-19_00-44-02.jpg

The TU complement for the Game Stock is incredible, thank you.

It would be nice if it were a separate mod, or your post, could be a separate Topic and with the links to the right files.

@Melaconda

I'm glad you like it. I've put work on recolour projects on hold for a few reasons but primarily I want to wait for 1.4 as it will most likely be implementing changes that will need addressing. I didn't really want to be doing stuff only to have to do it all again in a month (now a couple of weeks).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Leandro Basi said:

Can't use d3d11 anymore?

The shaders from Private Division don't all support it in this version. If they fix them in a later patch, you could; but for now it will leave you with missing visuals.

dx9 is slightly unstable, dx11 and dx12 are very unstable, opengl is stable but a there's micro-stutter. glcore is the only one that allows both good performance and keeps the game stable.

3 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

The shaders from Private Division don't all support it in this version. If they fix them in a later patch, you could; but for now it will leave you with missing visuals.

dx9 is slightly unstable, dx11 and dx12 are very unstable, opengl is stable but a there's micro-stutter. glcore is the only one that allows both good performance and keeps the game stable.

Thanks! I have to wait than. I like to use d3d11 because performance.

3 hours ago, Ger_space said:

Hi,

have you the source code of the DX11/12 fixer anywhere? Im only curious what it does.

@Shadowmage keeps his source on github; though I'm not sure if it's the TU repo or the SSTU repo that is the active development area for his shaders.

22 hours ago, bvsveera said:

Any chance we’ll see an update with support for the new parts in 1.4.1 (the Mk 1-3 capsule) and Making History parts?

The best stock parts patch for TU is from @Manwith Noname because he has spent the time to create masked textures. You'll have to ask him if he will be building new masks for those.

For myself, I've had a number of people request to make things much simpler to the effect of 'just drop something into gamedata and all pbr stuff magically works'. I am trying to head down that direction along with hopefully utilizing the new GUI for 'variants', but it will be tricky since the variant stuff extremely limited, so the only way it could work is if I am able to hook into with fake variants while running my code to do things.

I'm also trying to leverage "what will people use" as a priority; and honestly, very few people currently use TU for whatever reason, so I was thinking of spending some time packing VenStockRevamp and Porkjet's Part Overhauls into a variant-enabled mod so people can just switch between models/textures using the stock GUI. I am also hoping to pull in some of the deprecated art files and put those into variants as well, so people can choose for themselves, but licensing for both porkjet's and previous version art is a bit tricky, because nothing I package can include the actual assets or derivations of them with the new agreement.

----

I have a tendency to scope-creep dramatically and then never release anything, so... what do you all want to see in KSP most? regardless of mechanics, pbr, variants, property balancing, etc?

Edited by Electrocutor

1 hour ago, Electrocutor said:

For myself, I've had a number of people request to make things much simpler to the effect of 'just drop something into gamedata and all pbr stuff magically works'. I am trying to head down that direction along with hopefully utilizing the new GUI for 'variants', but it will be tricky since the variant stuff extremely limited, so the only way it could work is if I am able to hook into with fake variants while running my code to do things.

I'm also trying to leverage "what will people use" as a priority; and honestly, very few people currently use TU for whatever reason, so I was thinking of spending some time packing VenStockRevamp and Porkjet's Part Overhauls into a variant-enabled mod so people can just switch between models/textures using the stock GUI.

I was thinking that the introduction of variants would be perfect for your stock configs. I really liked your work on the ‘metal’ texture for Ven’s Mk 1-2 pod and was hoping to see a similar thing for the Mk 1-3 pod. And yes, integrating VSR into the variant system would be nice, if possible.

2 minutes ago, bvsveera said:

I was thinking that the introduction of variants would be perfect for your stock configs. I really liked your work on the ‘metal’ texture for Ven’s Mk 1-2 pod and was hoping to see a similar thing for the Mk 1-3 pod. And yes, integrating VSR into the variant system would be nice, if possible.

There is no documentation on variants. The current usage by Private Division is that they put all variants into a single .mu file and then hide meshes that they don't want you to see; this is not a feasible option for any kind of community modding. My hope is to simply create a placeholder variant that will show up in the GUI and when the user interacts to select it, it will fire off custom code that does something useful like switch between models/textures/shaders/shader-properties/part-properties/etc.

3 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

@Shadowmage keeps his source on github; though I'm not sure if it's the TU repo or the SSTU repo that is the active development area for his shaders.

The best stock parts patch for TU is from @Manwith Noname because he has spent the time to create masked textures. You'll have to ask him if he will be building new masks for those.

I'm also trying to leverage "what will people use" as a priority; and honestly, very few people currently use TU for whatever reason, so I was thinking of spending some time packing VenStockRevamp and Porkjet's Part Overhauls into a variant-enabled mod so people can just switch between models/textures using the stock GUI. I am also hoping to pull in some of the deprecated art files and put those into variants as well, so people can choose for themselves, but licensing for both porkjet's and previous version art is a bit tricky, because nothing I package can include the actual assets or derivations of them with the new agreement.

----

I have a tendency to scope-creep dramatically and then never release anything, so... what do you all want to see in KSP most? regardless of mechanics, pbr, variants, property balancing, etc?

I use your configs quite a lot, I mainly use stock parts and pretty much kept to stock and porkjet stock, plus Airplane plus and KAX

Hm, I can't seem to get your stock config working. I've installed TU and dropped your .cfg file into GameData.

Also, " -force-glcore" to my shortcut caused this:

RgTIYl2.png

I uh... well... there you have it :')

Did miss something in installation? Nothing changes in-game. No sliders or no effects.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.