Electrocutor's Thread

Electrocutor

So close...

Spoiler

B70573990BFB3C99C402A690C43C8DA3F7CF14E5

...back to the drawing board.

23 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

The example you showed in the TU thread had red, green, and blue; these are red, yellow, and magenta. Did you just recolor the diffuse or something for that one?

Which image?

The one from in game or the gimp gallery?

I suspected I might not be explaining things very well but I'll try again. The game image was made so I can better see how the RGB channels are mapped. The gimp gallery shows the three channels in isolation and then the complete mask to highlight how reading the channel data works rather than relying on "solid" RGB.

Edit: Should probably add this image to as it's the one that directly relates to the imgur album.

Edited by Manwith Noname

1 hour ago, Electrocutor said:

Do you have a real masked texture to use that is black, red, green, and blue? Or do you mean with my stock pork configs?

nope I still didn't put time for that, first want to see how much i can push this for parts, what i did was try to use the base color texture like the one you did, to be honest it was not that bad and only thing i couldn't make it happen was the same look and reflection compared to the default metalic setup

45 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

So close...

Reveal hidden contents

B70573990BFB3C99C402A690C43C8DA3F7CF14E5

...back to the drawing board.

Which image?

The one from in game or the gimp gallery?

I suspected I might not be explaining things very well but I'll try again. The game image was made so I can better see how the RGB channels are mapped. The gimp gallery shows the three channels in isolation and then the complete mask to highlight how reading the channel data works rather than relying on "solid" RGB.

Step1. Get your mask into RGB.

rtKX2yd.jpg

Step2. Create a texture that is 1x1 and set RGBA all to 192; then save it as 'silver'

DNjxxko.jpg

Step3. Do the same thing again, only set it to 64,0,0,0 and save as 'nonmetallic'.

Step4. Edit all of the default color presets that come with TU because they are very strange colors.

Edited by Electrocutor

Heh, yeah, I know I can do that...I was just hoping to not have to.

Edit: At least...for how ever many textures that need converting. To be clear, I'm not expecting anything to change and when it comes to the crunch I'll probably go through everything again because I'd need to make the other textures. I only really started posting to see if I had interpreted the information in the thread correctly and see if that is what was required. In the small hope that I had read it wrong and that the current masks would be ok. Just putting feels out to see how much work is actually needed.

Edited by Manwith Noname

11 minutes ago, Manwith Noname said:

Heh, yeah, I know I can do that...I was just hoping to not have to.

Edit: At least...for how ever many textures that need converting. To be clear, I'm not expecting anything to change and when it comes to the crunch I'll probably go through everything again because I'd need to make the other textures. I only really started posting to see if I had interpreted the information in the thread correctly and see if that is what was required. In the small hope that I had read it wrong at that the current masks would be ok. Just putting feels out to see how much work is actually needed.

Well, changing Yellow to Blue and Magenta to Green takes a total of 1 quick operation then a save, so you can probably do all the stock parts in less than an hour.

You can actually still use yellow, magenta, and cyan; but they need to be at half intensity. White needs to be at 33% intensity. These will mix the 3 colors that are picked.

Edited by Electrocutor

While on the face of it, that process might be a quick fix, it actually destroys the anti aliasing.

After dinner edit:

The more I play with it, the more I think it is going to take a complete overhaul. These maps were lovingly hand crafted to work with KerbPaint and something is just getting lost in translation...

Spoiler

C2843EF6F343CD0DE40335F3E4BE2CF413B414923A8D5C9A5EFD4C923847811AA3C1BCCADD359F61

I suspect the bump map is one.

After breaking then fixing then breaking then fixing edit:

I got silly with it...

Spoiler

78D03CE28A3184DD36F8FFE4735B83B04BC31F27E4AF3FFBBC5BC1FD62DCFB2812D9F56FBF21823646729F86CF6E036E1915191E0BCEC145F73DA962

Edited by Manwith Noname

10 hours ago, stuChris said:

perhaps you could take a look into making Textures unlimited support for Airplane Plus? also, i cant seem to use the color functions on the stock parts, is it not implemented yet?

I've got a feeling you need a mask to use the color editor like @Manwith Noname is doing with the Kerbpaint masks

On 1/3/2018 at 2:22 PM, stuChris said:

also, i cant seem to use the color functions on the stock parts, is it not implemented yet?

The PorkjetStock has recolor (marked as pass 2); the original generic stock does not.

Note that the current recoloring is only a tinting mode so you have to tinker with colors a bit; more details had been posted previously.

It looks like ManWithNoName will have a viable pass 3 recolor for stock parts before too long.

Edited by Electrocutor

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

OMG, recoloring on stock parts... I just fainted!

@Electrocutor  If you are taking suggestions for modpacks, NF Propulsion and Heat Control (radiator panels) are always in my base install of KSP :)

All of the parts made by @Nertea are superb; I am starting with his soon-to-be Station Parts Expansion Redux because I feel it fills a noticeable gab in stock parts, but I will eventually work through all his packs.

Been busy with other things lately, so haven't had much time to hammer through configs; will get back on it soon.

Uch, I hate this forum sometimes...just lost a post....let's try that again...

@Electrocutor

Did you make any progress on a pass 2 of the non porkjet stock parts? I ask because currently I have been building my configs to "piggyback" on to yours since you had already applied the texture switch module. Now I'm actually typing this out, I realise I could add checks for this so the patch works with or without yours but primarily it's not about saving lines of code but having multiple texture sets defined in a way that allows the user more freedom of choice.

For instance, on the Porkjet parts people will be able to choose between your predefined configs (default, default metal and metal), your tint "cheat" and then there will also be my tint cheat. Kinda tempted to throw the current state up for a 2.2 pass but my OCD is kicking in...glamour shots inbound...

Spoiler

B35BB8C1C18D2FC025394A9F8E379FE30AF021AA5F8BD59CE53C68942D89513DB5757A3EBCAC2A6C

Could really use the ability to define some values for the black area of the mask mind you.

Edit: ....and before anyone comments on the go faster stripe not lining up...that was one of my biggest annoyances with the remodel when I had to repaint it. I'm just going to bite my tongue.

Edited by Manwith Noname

8 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Uch, I hate this forum sometimes...just lost a post....let's try that again...

@Electrocutor

Did you make any progress on a pass 2 of the non porkjet stock parts? I ask because currently I have been building my configs to "piggyback" on to yours since you had already applied the texture switch module. Now I'm actually typing this out, I realise I could add checks for this so the patch works with or without yours but primarily it's not about saving lines of code but having multiple texture sets defined in a way that allows the user more freedom of choice.

For instance, on the Porkjet parts people will be able to choose between your predefined configs (default, default metal and metal), your tint "cheat" and then there will also be my tint cheat. Kinda tempted to throw the current state up for a 2.2 pass but my OCD is kicking in...glamour shots inbound...

Reveal hidden contents

B35BB8C1C18D2FC025394A9F8E379FE30AF021AA5F8BD59CE53C68942D89513DB5757A3EBCAC2A6C

Could really use the ability to define some values for the black area of the mask mind you.

Edit: ....and before anyone comments on the go faster stripe not lining up...that was one of my biggest annoyances with the remodel when I had to repaint it. I'm just going to bite my tongue.

Honestly, were it me, I would at the very least remove the tint that I had done and replace it with the full recolor mask that you had done.

I've not worked on pass2 of non-pork due to getting busy with other things. Plus, non-pork are much harder to mess with due to most of them not even having specular alpha on the diffuse and simply being RGB. What's more, almost none have normals either. I wish there was an estimate from Squad on their v1.4 release; not knowing if it's something we'll see in 2018 or not even makes it difficult to know if I should put in the effort yet.

Between @Shadowmage making a stock-compatible mask shader, @Avera9eJoe having maps for all stock parts with proper speculars, and you having properly made mask textures, I think we could piece together a pretty good stock metallic workflow recoloring for all stock parts. We would still need someone to make some normal maps though as most stock parts have none or the ones they do have are sub-par.

5 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

Honestly, were it me, I would at the very least remove the tint that I had done and replace it with the full recolor mask that you had done.

I've not worked on pass2 of non-pork due to getting busy with other things. Plus, non-pork are much harder to mess with due to most of them not even having specular alpha on the diffuse and simply being RGB. What's more, almost none have normals either. I wish there was an estimate from Squad on their v1.4 release; not knowing if it's something we'll see in 2018 or not even makes it difficult to know if I should put in the effort yet.

Between @Shadowmage making a stock-compatible mask shader, @Avera9eJoe having maps for all stock parts with proper speculars, and you having properly made mask textures, I think we could piece together a pretty good stock metallic workflow recoloring for all stock parts. We would still need someone to make some normal maps though as most stock parts have none or the ones they do have are sub-par.

Dude... That'd be incredible. Feel free to use any of the assets or files from WindowShine if it'd help out. It's a bit of a wackjob right now and I'm all in favor of making a better stock reflections pack. :)

In hindsight though, a lot of the textures could be improved with their speculars. I basically went into each and set the alpha to 1% everywhere that wasn't a window. There's definitely prettier ways to do it, though that would take more than my small acquired toolset has to offer :P.

5 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

@Electrocutor    I made a patch for the HeatControl parts following your example with the texture switch. Feel free to make it yours and add it to your list.

download .cfg

tu_heatcontrol.jpg

And I did JX2 Antenna as well    @Snark

download tu_jx2.cfg

tu_jx2.jpg

Perfect Timing. I use both mods since yesterday.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:22 PM, stuChris said:

perhaps you could take a look into making Textures unlimited support for Airplane Plus? also, i cant seem to use the color functions on the stock parts, is it not implemented yet?

Pass 1 is complete; I want to get it to pass 2 to match Porkjet Stock for recoloring, but don't have the time at the moment.

As soon as v1.4 comes out I'm going to consolidate everything into a TexturesUnlimitedConfigs mod zip file that just includes everything.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:11 AM, Cheesecake said:

@Electrocutor Can you look at CxAerospace Station Parts to make them compatible?

So far as I can tell, every one of the parts in that are made entirely out of exposed metal, so you can just use this:

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	%enabled = true
}

@PART[*]:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited&CxAerospace]:HAS[@MODEL:HAS[#model[CxAerospace*]]] {
	MODULE {
		name = KSPTextureSwitch
		sectionName = Appearance
		currentTextureSet = CxAerospace_Metal

TEXTURESET {
			name = CxAerospace_Metal
		}
	}
}

KSP_TEXTURE_SET:NEEDS[TexturesUnlimited] {
	name = CxAerospace_Metal
	title = Metal

TEXTURE {
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic

PROPERTY {
			name = _Color
			color = 1.75,1.75,1.75,1.0
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY {
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.