CKAN client UI/processing poll

politas

CKAN client UI/processing poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Currently, the CKAN GUI client does all its metadata processing in the foreground, so when you open the app or refresh, you may have to wait for a little while before you can do or see anything, but if you can see the modlist, you know that the checkboxes are valid. We could switch some of the metadata processing to background processes, which should make the UI more responsive, at the cost of the data not necessarily being accurate. So, the mod list would appear with only the installed mods checkboxes originally, and then update boxes and empty checkboxes for uninstalled mods would appear progressively. Which of these two models would people prefer?

• Foreground - I'll just go get a cup of tea while I wait!
    • Background - I want to start reading mod details straight away! Progressive changes to availability are no problem.
    • Mixed - When I select a mod, I want everything to update before I do anything else, but I'm happy to have progressive updates on program load or refresh!

I'm more worried about inconsistencies between my display, the actual install, and the state of the JSON in the background.   Count me in as one of the cup of tea people.  And I say that running over 200 mods on one of my experimental career games, so the wait is clear, but worth it to me.  Can you quantify the risk involved in the progressive and the mixed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, Murdabenne said:

I'm more worried about inconsistencies between my display, the actual install, and the state of the JSON in the background.   Count me in as one of the cup of tea people.  And I say that running over 200 mods on one of my experimental career games, so the wait is clear, but worth it to me.  Can you quantify the risk involved in the progressive and the mixed?

Not really. At this stage, I'm not even sure how much we _can_ throw this processing into the background, It's all pretty pie-in-the-sky at this stage. What I'm thinking is that with the progressive version, when you select a mod for installation, there may be a period of time when a mod that conflicts with what you just selected or one of its dependencies remains available for selection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.