Neutral Boyancy.

Buoyant  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get a Buoyant Readout

If you mean an extra bit of info that indicates how well a vessel will float or sink then yes why not.  I think that's quite useful info.

From what i can tell, all the oceans on the other bodies that have them are the same density as Kerbin's too.

4 minutes ago, FrostedShoe said:

For a game related to space exploration it's a minor thing that would be handy in the event you want to make sure you don't sink when landing in water. 

But I think you are expecting too much, this is a space game not a boat game after all.

Except we have Eve and Laythe which both have liquid surfaces to be explored; landed in.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

I think that's quite useful info.

I've given up on KSP ever showing useful info to the player.

3 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Except we have Eve and Laythe which both have liquid surfaces to be explored; landed in.

Yup, landed in and science gathered from, none of these activities require a boat or neutral buoyancy, or any kind of readout.

I've spent a bit of time underwater in KSP and you can balance a vessel in stock (without changing files) but it is a painstaking process and I agree that some sort of readout would be useful in the VAB.  Of course balance changes with fuel use so you have to design around that.  How easy this would be to implement and how many players would use such a function is another debate (and even though I like submersing, I would not expect or want Squad to do it at the expense of other features that would be of use to a larger percentage of the player base).

42 minutes ago, FrostedShoe said:

this is a space game not a boat game after all.

There are world first rewards for depth so Squad acknowledges that some players will explore the oceans.  For me buoyancy is a fun mini game that I play around with when I feel like doing something different.

Edited by James Kerman
More information

32 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

There are world first rewards for depth so Squad acknowledges that some players will explore the oceans.  For me buoyancy is a fun mini game that I play around with when I feel like doing something different.

Granted but that is a tiny part of the game, now if Squad was to implement a water world, that would be a different matter... and awesome too.

1 hour ago, FrostedShoe said:

Yup, landed in and science gathered from, none of these activities require a boat or neutral buoyancy, or any kind of readout.

It was aimed at the idea that land, air, and sea have no place in a space exploration game.  It comes up far to often on these forums.  As though humans wouldn't explore a moon such as Laythe with flying drones and submersibles.  KSP is a game about exploration through space, not merely flying through space.

4 minutes ago, FrostedShoe said:

Granted but that is a tiny part of the game, now if Squad was to implement a water world, that would be a different matter... and awesome too.

Laythe_color_map.png

Edited by klgraham1013

3 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It was aimed at the idea that land, air, and sea have no place in a space exploration game.  It comes up far to often on these forums.  As though humans wouldn't explore a moon such as Laythe with flying drones and submersibles.  KSP is a game about exploration through space, not merely flying through space.

300px-Laythe_Biome_Map_1.2.png

That isn't a water world, it's a world with water in it.

The point is you think there should be a feature in a stock game that has no need for it.

By water world I mean a world covered totally in water where mining has to be done under water and survey contracts at various depths. Without that there is no need for neutral buoyancy readouts. Of course you could add these features on any world with water, a water world would just force the issue because there would be no dry land.

8 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It was aimed at the idea that land, air, and sea have no place in a space exploration game.

Also, you have to take off from somewhere, land somewhere and you fly through the air inbetween. So they have a place.

Ok. Yes KSP is first and foremost a SPACE game.

But exploring other planets (and Kerbin for that matter) is a part of it.  So exploring the different environments on those worlds, whether on land, frozen ice or on and under the oceans, is perfectly reasonable.  Very little needs to be added to the current stock game to greatly improve the underwater aspect - a few parts like ballast tanks and electic propellers, and a few undersea anomalies.

So why not?

1 minute ago, pandaman said:

Ok. Yes KSP is first and foremost a SPACE game.

But exploring other planets (and Kerbin for that matter) is a part of it.  So exploring the different environments on those worlds, whether on land, frozen ice or on and under the oceans, is perfectly reasonable.  Very little needs to be added to the current stock game to greatly improve the underwater aspect - a few parts like ballast tanks and electic propellers, and a few undersea anomalies.

So why not?

If your suggesting ballast tanks... I agree. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.