Weather and thermics  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this feature in future KSP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

A few days ago I built a glider in KSP. Pretty awesome at fist, but it got boring after 3 flights or so because there was no way of staying in the air without descending. So I started thinking: "What if weather, wind, turbulences and thermics was added into the game?" This is basically what this suggestion is. Weather, wind and thermics. This would give gliders a sence and make the game more chalenging, for example when you want to land on Duna or Eve, but there's a storm underneath you or if you want to launch a rocket. Would you like to see a feature like this in the game? (And yes, I know that there is a mod that adds wind, but it's pretty Basic.)

That's a lot of extra calculations added on top of what is already one of the most taxing parts of the game; atmospheric flights.

It would be cool yeah, but it is worth the effort just so we can have IRL equivalent gliders? I mean what good are actual gliders to a space program? We really only need them to work one way; going down.

I think weather is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper, but the implementation would be more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to see seasons too, but it get's to a certain point where you have to ask yourself; is this really the focus of the game?

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

That's a lot of extra calculations added on top of what is already one of the most taxing parts of the game; atmospheric flights.

It would be cool yeah, but it is worth the effort just so we can have IRL equivalent gliders? I mean what good are actual gliders to a space program? We really only need them to work one way; going down.

I think weather is one of those ideas that sounds good on paper, but the implementation would be more trouble than it's worth. I'd like to see seasons too, but it get's to a certain point where you have to ask yourself; is this really the focus of the game?

Yeah, seems reasonable. But they should at least add clouds aswell as ocean shaders, something similar as Scatterer and Stock Visual Enhancements offer, because until now the game looks rather boring. 

Clouds, yes please. 

Weather effects, although a neat idea, and the visuals could be really cool.  But rather than trying to model the weather system fully it may be better implemented in a more abstract way.  Something like - if you fly though a thunder storm there is a random chance of a lightning strike.  Or in strong winds controls randomly and variably become more or less responsive.

15 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Clouds, yes please. 

Weather effects, although a neat idea, and the visuals could be really cool.  But rather than trying to model the weather system fully it may be better implemented in a more abstract way.  Something like - if you fly though a thunder storm there is a random chance of a lightning strike.  Or in strong winds controls randomly and variably become more or less responsive.

Agreed. 

Although cloud would be enough for me

I would want variation of clouds. 

For example different altitudes for the clouds and thinner as you go up would be nice. So thickest at 5,000 Meters normal at 20,000 And wispy at 45,000-50,000 and then auroras (near poles) at 65,000

I think stock weather would be a bad idea.  Not only that it would pretty drastically increase the minimum requirements for this game, but it'd be such a small portion of this space game.  I bought this game so I could Lego together rockets and blast little green people into space.  Not so I could wait out a weather window so I can launch.  As it is, this game can be played without doing any kind of math.  Let's not change that.  It is not a simulator.

Making it toggle able would probably be even worse, as what's the point of all the dev time (and therefore possibly increasing the cost of the game) for a feature that a lot of users would likely switch off?  There's also the smackability of the elitists who would now have the ability to say "I'm a real player because I only play with the weather on."

Weather, along with many other features that add difficulty to the game, is best left to the mods.  If you want it, wonderful!  Go get it. 

However, visual weather would be nice.  Stock clouds and non-game changing storms would be cool. (Don't get me started on non-game changing.  Last I checked, you don't slide on ice.)  Again I don't see this happening.  I'd rather the devs worked on new parts and functionality, and stuff that happens in space, which is where the majority of the game takes place (or is meant to, anyway).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.