story time about my contract to duna

jevry

20171223002049_1.jpg

hello guys, today i am here to tell a small story that just happened.

this here above is my magnificent entry for the duna mobile base mission i had. 8 kerbals, 6k LF capacity. and wheels, which would be added later in duna orbit (i hadn't researched em yet)

to explain a bit more upon it: some science modules are located under the mk 1 plane cockpit. the part in the back is the transfer stage, then i also have a puddle connected to a docking port with fuel transfer allowed on.

the back part with the parachutes and aerodynamic cones is there to be replaced with a ore refinery after i research it and i collect my mission.

transfer went quite fine. gathered some research for the wheels

unknown.png

after some docking technical difficulties i managed to dock on the wheels (only took me about 4-8 hours :P)

i think it looks pretty nice.

it might be not 100% super practical since its assymetry and stuff but i find it important to make my craft look a little nice and unique.

now for the hard part, which compared to the rest wasn't that hard but still pretty hard.

d77a1609-ed20-496c-8986-8f37d8ea84b4.png

because as you can see my first attempt did not go so well

20171224221231_1.jpg

second try went better.

well now i have my duna mobile base where i wanted it to be.

just need to fuel it up and collect my rewards.

one slight problem however

due to its weight and assymetric nature stacked atop of the fact these honestly just idiotic rover wheels inability to turn

i can only turn one direction and cannot climb the slightest inclination.

seriously who designed those wheels?

how do i even use them if duna rejects them?

anyways this is what i have been up to the last few days in ksp...

well in the time i have written this i have come up with a way i will try it next time

i will make the frame with wheels on one bit and the base i will stick ON TOP of it. like a tank and a turret.

The big wheels are supposed to turn with differential braking.  The unique way you built and attached them may have made them confused about which way to differential brake.

Try various 'control from here's to see if your wheels get with the program.

Try reversing the steering on one set, the other, then both of them to see if this resolves it.

Then try various combinations of the above.  There's surely a 'right' combination somewhere, I hope.

Those wheels are awesome, but I think they probably calculate their position from where they attach to a part rather than where the wheel is.

I'd say this is using their capabilities to the fullest:

100 m/s cross country speed, super durable, a very wide and stable rover...

guys i have theorized the flaw that might have been the problem for my rover, i remember that the wheel are actually attached about 3 degrees at an angle meaning 2 wheels  on one side are not properly touching the ground. i will probably figure a way to fix this problem and see if it helps

guys guys... it worked! my rovers wheels have been realigned (in orbit because savescumming) and after hours of trying to realign them the rover works 100X better, especially turning rates have improved. it does however still have a problem climbing inclinations but much less then it used to.

(i even managed to drift in it!!!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.