To heavy for liftoff

BaelRathLian

After getting the space 1999 eagle mod I found one called Eagle One and it came with a landing pad like on the show.  My question is how to get that sucker up on the mun?  It's way too heavy for any boosters or combo of boosters I have and it's all one peace.  So far it's stuck on the ground.  For that matter once we get to the mun, how are we going to land it?  

1 hour ago, BaelRathLian said:

After getting the space 1999 eagle mod I found one called Eagle One and it came with a landing pad like on the show.  My question is how to get that sucker up on the mun?

Launch it.

It's way too heavy for any boosters or combo of boosters I have and it's all one peace.

Nonsense. Split it into discrete pieces if you have to. Those 3.75m parts make it ridiculously easy to get things to orbit.

So far it's stuck on the ground.

Nonsense. You can put pretty much anything into orbit in KSP.

For that matter once we get to the mun, how are we going to land it?

Skycrane. In pieces. However you gotta do it. That's the fun of the game.

2 hours ago, regex said:

Launch it.

Nonsense. Split it into discrete pieces if you have to. Those 3.75m parts make it ridiculously easy to get things to orbit.

Nonsense. You can put pretty much anything into orbit in KSP.

Skycrane. In pieces. However you gotta do it. That's the fun of the game.

It's ALL ONE PEICE.  Can't be broke down.

It's "Gerry Anderson's Space 1999 Pack", right? Decided to bite the bullet and checked it out.

The transporter weighs about 308 tons and the fuel capacity isn't enough to get into orbit -or so it seemed.

Turns out that you have to activate main power, fuel reactor, cold fusion and main bus on the fuselage module, along with the generator on the cockpit module. Then the thing magically produces power and fuel, faster than the engines will ever consume. Not only it gets you to orbit -it takes you anywhere.

@BaelRathLianThat's what you've been missing. Time for me to get back to doing things the proper way :P

You're not asking about the craft, but the launch pad. My bad.

Anyway, tried to arrange engines and fuel tanks around it. But the way part symmetry works (basically, it doesn't) and the launch pad's high impact tolerance, makes me think it's meant to be hyperedited into position.

Edited by Atkara

If you build your own booster system, you can get just about anything in space.

FT8ORvq.png

I put THIS on the mun.  Launched in one piece:

MvrjZU2.png

And I did it this way:

AW58wLQ.png

If there is a specific engineering problem you have, please let me know, and I'll be pleased to assist.

10 hours ago, Whackjob said:

If you build your own booster system, you can get just about anything in space.

FT8ORvq.png

I put THIS on the mun.  Launched in one piece:

MvrjZU2.png

And I did it this way:

AW58wLQ.png

If there is a specific engineering problem you have, please let me know, and I'll be pleased to assist.

:o

How many parts is that at launch?

On 12/27/2017 at 4:41 AM, Earthlinger said:

Oh. Wow. Do you mind if we meet somewhere and trade computers? :D

Uh, well.  If we're going to be entirely honest, I melted the processor out of the one I used to make that.   That is not a euphamism or being clever.  I literally killed an Alienware m17x gaming laptop.  I remember the scene quite well.  I'd almost achieved orbit with a 7,800 part monster.  It had taken, in real time, about two hours to get to that point, and orbit hadn't been achieved yet.  Then it all went black, and there was a cooking smell.  Processor finally gave up the ghost.  I've been gaming on the same emergency replacement slaptogether ever since.   One of these days, I'll have to get around to putting a proper one together.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:34 AM, The Aziz said:

I hear my CPU screeching and I'm not even at home

Here's "An Exercise in Absurdity", the mark 8.

HbbLRBX.png

The biggest one I have screenshots of.  That still flew.  Here's a landing gear weight support test.

M8OSgj4.png

Q5BLQau.png

That's the hardest part of the big builds.  Supporting all that weight.

EDIT:  Sad part is, me looking at that now, I can already see about a half dozen ways to seriously improve that design.  

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.